You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-02 05:29:18

jesito
Website

Roadmap?

Hi everybody.
Debian 9.5 Buster is in Alpha3 status. Are there any plans for the next release of Bunsen? ("Neon" maybe?) wink

3D or not 3D, that is not anymore the question.

#2 2018-09-02 05:47:51

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Roadmap?

that's a very broad hint (i like the german expression better) but a valid question.

i think someone from the dev team said that "next time it's not going to take us so long".

"Neon" - isn't that already taken by some KDE distro?
also for a child of the eighties it has unbearable connotations.
do we have to go through the periodic table in order? or at all?

#3 2018-09-02 06:24:57

nore
>2⁹

ohnonot wrote:

do we have to go through the periodic table in order?

Why not? At least there is time to choose a new name system before reaching BL Oganesson (Z=118).

Last edited by nore (2018-09-02 06:25:27)

#4 2018-09-02 08:47:04

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

do we have to go through the periodic table in order? or at all?

Well, I think that was sort of agreed on a couple of years ago, but if someone had a better idea, and people liked it, it could be changed.

Anyway, the next BL release will be called Lithium.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2018-09-02 08:47:08

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

jesito wrote:

Hi everybody.
Debian 9.5 Buster is in Alpha3 status. Are there any plans for the next release of Bunsen? ("Neon" maybe?) wink

I thought 9.x are all Stretch? If this is correct, we are still months away from release. What are the considerations of rolling out something before Buster release (Especially considering low-security policy of Debian Testing)?

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-09-02 08:57:16)

#6 2018-09-02 09:14:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

brontosaurusrex wrote:
jesito wrote:

Hi everybody.

I thought 9.x are all Stretch?

Correct.

What are the considerations of rolling out something before Buster release (Especially considering low-security policy of Debian Testing)?

^We might be able to roll out a test version of Lithium before Buster's release, but as you say Debian Testing is not stable or secure enough for a regular workstation. The official BL Lithium will come after Buster's release, but hopefully not too long after this time.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#7 2018-09-02 18:21:03

hhh
That's easy!
Website

johnraff wrote:

^We might be able to roll out a test version of Lithium before Buster's release, but as you say Debian Testing is not stable or secure enough for a regular workstation.

We'll do our normal Release Candidate builds, of course.

KDE completely broke with a recent testing upgrade, sid is more stable at the moment. I expect more breakage in testing as packages get rushed in before the announced January freeze process begins.

#8 2018-09-03 01:36:05

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:
johnraff wrote:

^We might be able to roll out a test version of Lithium before Buster's release, but as you say Debian Testing is not stable or secure enough for a regular workstation.

We'll do our normal Release Candidate builds, of course.

KDE completely broke with a recent testing upgrade, sid is more stable at the moment. I expect more breakage in testing as packages get rushed in before the announced January freeze process begins.

I saw that as I just played with Testing in a VM. The missing packages  for Plasma still have not migrated to Testing AFAIK.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer