You are not logged in.

#76 2018-09-15 17:41:23

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 544

Re: KDE on BL

Also I had dist-upgraded my BL install to sid and no problems were had. Been running sid for 3 months now smile

Soon Plasma 5.14 will be out and more  improvements hopefully.

Would been cool if KDE/Plasma 5.13 got backported to Stretch.

Hopefully there could be the possibility of an "unofficial" BL spin based on Plasma (albeit just plasma-desktop) down the road if there's interest so if others got to play with KDE on BL maybe that could happen smile

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-09-15 18:13:00)


Real Men Use Linux

Online

#77 2018-09-16 01:37:39

vasa1
Member
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 169

Re: KDE on BL

hhh wrote:

...
@Vasa, please post or link your entire conky, I'd like to test it.
...

-- vim: ts=4 sw=4 noet ai cindent syntax=lua
--[[
# Conky, a system monitor, based on torsmo
# left out ${memperc}
]]

conky.config = {
alignment = 'top_left',
background = false,
default_color = '555555',
double_buffer = true,
draw_shades = false,
extra_newline = false,
font = 'Ubuntu Mono:bold:size=14',
gap_x = 1,
gap_y = 1,
-- minimum_height = 1,
minimum_width = 400,
out_to_console = false,
out_to_stderr = false,
own_window_class = 'Conky',
own_window_hints = 'undecorated,above,sticky,skip_pager',
own_window_transparent = yes,
own_window_argb_visual = true,
own_window_argb_value = 150,
own_window = true,
own_window_type = 'normal',
short_units = true,
text_buffer_size = 256,
update_interval = 2.0,
uppercase = false,
use_spacer = 'right',
use_xft = true
}

conky.text = [[
${time %a %d %b} ${color 7D5126}${time %H:%M}$color ${utime %H:%M} ${tztime America/New_York %H:%M} ${execpi 360 bash curl-aes}|${execpi 300 bash curl-neg} T${hwmon 2 temp 1}R${memperc} C${cpu cpu0}
]]

The two `curl` ones monitor two gmail accounts and I think the `hwmon 2 temp 1` may not be suitable for other users.


Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

Offline

#78 2018-09-16 01:43:54

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 544

Re: KDE on BL

vasa1 wrote:
hhh wrote:

...
@Vasa, please post or link your entire conky, I'd like to test it.
...

-- vim: ts=4 sw=4 noet ai cindent syntax=lua
--[[
# Conky, a system monitor, based on torsmo
# left out ${memperc}
]]

conky.config = {
alignment = 'top_left',
background = false,
default_color = '555555',
double_buffer = true,
draw_shades = false,
extra_newline = false,
font = 'Ubuntu Mono:bold:size=14',
gap_x = 1,
gap_y = 1,
-- minimum_height = 1,
minimum_width = 400,
out_to_console = false,
out_to_stderr = false,
own_window_class = 'Conky',
own_window_hints = 'undecorated,above,sticky,skip_pager',
own_window_transparent = yes,
own_window_argb_visual = true,
own_window_argb_value = 150,
own_window = true,
own_window_type = 'normal',
short_units = true,
text_buffer_size = 256,
update_interval = 2.0,
uppercase = false,
use_spacer = 'right',
use_xft = true
}

conky.text = [[
${time %a %d %b} ${color 7D5126}${time %H:%M}$color ${utime %H:%M} ${tztime America/New_York %H:%M} ${execpi 360 bash curl-aes}|${execpi 300 bash curl-neg} T${hwmon 2 temp 1}R${memperc} C${cpu cpu0}
]]

The two `curl` ones monitor two gmail accounts and I think the `hwmon 2 temp 1` may not be suitable for other users.

if they are scripts can you share them? You can remove sensitive information from them (such as the email addresses).


Real Men Use Linux

Online

#79 2018-09-16 10:28:47

vasa1
Member
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 169

Re: KDE on BL

DeepDayze wrote:

if they are scripts can you share them? You can remove sensitive information from them (such as the email addresses).

#!/bin/bash
curl -u username:password --silent "[url]https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom[/url]" | sed 's/></>\n</g' | grep fullcount | grep -E -o '[0-9]+'

It's obviously a security risk to have a password available but it's a chance I take.


Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

Offline

#80 2018-09-16 13:12:01

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 544

Re: KDE on BL

vasa1 wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

if they are scripts can you share them? You can remove sensitive information from them (such as the email addresses).

#!/bin/bash
curl -u username:password --silent "[url]https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom[/url]" | sed 's/></>\n</g' | grep fullcount | grep -E -o '[0-9]+'

It's obviously a security risk to have a password available but it's a chance I take.

Yeah not a good idea but it works.


Real Men Use Linux

Online

#81 2018-10-17 04:58:44

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,681
Website

Re: KDE on BL

Has anyone using Firefox on Plasma been hit by the insane-CPU-usage bug?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=909818
This seems only to be affecting the DE's like Gnome, KDE, XFCE...


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#82 2018-10-17 11:12:30

vasa1
Member
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 169

Re: KDE on BL

Nope! No issues here.

This is with KDE Neon (Bionic, user edition). Google Chrome is open (two tabs: this site and Ask Ubuntu) and with Firefox playing a YouTube video:

top - 16:38:52 up  2:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.59, 0.82, 0.70
Tasks: 175 total,   1 running, 131 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  8.7 us,  3.0 sy,  0.0 ni, 86.3 id,  1.8 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.2 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem :  8034944 total,  4714164 free,  1320920 used,  1999860 buff/cache
KiB Swap:  8117244 total,  8117244 free,        0 used.  6300848 avail Mem 

  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 7293 vasa1     20   0 2064112 382612 118988 S  17.6  4.8   2:46.52 file:// Content
 7659 vasa1     20   0   44076   4092   3516 R  11.8  0.1   0:00.03 top
  734 root      20   0  310232  11528   8340 S   5.9  0.1   0:00.37 polkitd
 7216 vasa1     20   0 2580596 348064 133612 S   5.9  4.3   0:56.40 firefox
    1 root      20   0  159704   8840   6544 S   0.0  0.1   0:02.43 systemd
    2 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kthreadd
    4 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kworker/0:0H
    7 root       0 -20       0      0      0 I   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 mm_percpu_wq
$ uname -a
Linux Neon 4.15.0-36-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 24 16:19:09 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Last edited by vasa1 (2018-10-17 16:39:42)


Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

Offline

#83 2018-10-17 12:03:14

earlybird
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-12-16
Posts: 608
Website

Re: KDE on BL

johnraff wrote:

Has anyone using Firefox on Plasma been hit by the insane-CPU-usage bug?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=909818
This seems only to be affecting the DE's like Gnome, KDE, XFCE...

No. I'm using most recent Firefox on the most recent KDE Plasma and have not had any such issues.

Offline

#84 2018-10-18 01:33:45

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 544

Re: KDE on BL

earlybird wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Has anyone using Firefox on Plasma been hit by the insane-CPU-usage bug?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=909818
This seems only to be affecting the DE's like Gnome, KDE, XFCE...

No. I'm using most recent Firefox on the most recent KDE Plasma and have not had any such issues.

Same here...maybe some oddball configurations causing this?


Real Men Use Linux

Online

#85 2018-10-18 07:17:32

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,681
Website

Re: KDE on BL

Maybe it's only certain web pages that trigger it off.
I've had no problems myself, but it seems to be connected with something that more sophsticated DEs do...


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#86 2018-10-18 11:30:26

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 544

Re: KDE on BL

johnraff wrote:

Maybe it's only certain web pages that trigger it off.
I've had no problems myself, but it seems to be connected with something that more sophsticated DEs do...

On Openbox FF works fine.


Real Men Use Linux

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB