You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-04 08:13:57

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Microsoft Has Reportedly Reached A Deal To Acquire GitHub

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … orted-Deal

I have not seen that one coming.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-06-04 08:14:35)

#2 2018-06-04 11:05:00

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Re: Microsoft Has Reportedly Reached A Deal To Acquire GitHub

Github has been around for a decade and is built on a mature Ruby software stack, and next to their github.com cloud hosting offering, there exist probably millions of on-premise deployments of Github (using their virtual appliance), plus a lot CI and other tools rely on their integration API to provide added value to users. This is why I think the service and software won't change a lot even if the company is acquired by Microsoft – Github is entrenched and changing it too much will destroy its value.

Assuming the rumours are true, time to buy more Microsoft stock, they just have acquired a huge internet ecosystem.

Plus: "GitLab sees huge spike in project imports" https://monitor.gitlab.net/dashboard/db … er?orgId=1

#3 2018-06-04 13:50:13

Jimbo_G

It would certainly appear to be true: https://news.microsoft.com/2018/06/04/m … 5-billion/

#4 2018-06-04 14:03:32

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Yes https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/
Also pretty sure this reality is just simulation.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-06-04 14:05:03)

#5 2018-06-04 20:35:13

twoion
ほやほや

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#6 2018-06-04 20:44:09

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Interesting how Clippy is embedded into everyones mind, I guess it sits next to Jennifer Aniston.

#7 2018-06-04 21:06:38

twoion
ほやほや

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Interesting how Clippy is embedded into everyones mind, I guess it sits next to Jennifer Aniston.

It's Meme Economics at work.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#8 2018-06-05 04:39:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

earlybird wrote:

Plus: "GitLab sees huge spike in project imports" https://monitor.gitlab.net/dashboard/db … er?orgId=1

well even before the announced takeover many - including me - were considering this.
i just wonder if gitlab is that much better than github (as it is now). like, ethically better. safer for me. respecting non-paying customers' privacy and intellectual property.

btw twoion, i do not share your optimism; i'm sure MS will find ways to milk this gigantic cow (even more than github is already doing). they might even break it in the process.

#9 2018-06-05 06:55:24

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Well, yeah... M$oft...  "I think it's time I publicly share about how Microsoft stole my code and then spit on it."   Also: Fight against linux used by intel.

GitHub has been a bad choice anyway, there were some posts about it in the forum. How to migrate from GitHub to GitLab:  https://hooktube.com/watch?v=VYOXuOg9tQI     Wise people make wise choices, this is why e.g. tint2 is on GitLab.

There are more alternatives like gitea, gogs.io. There is also a project called vervis.

Last edited by martix (2018-06-05 07:23:23)

#10 2018-06-05 09:26:27

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

We gave just moved the AL repo over to Bitbucket.  Personally, and this may amount to nothing, but the acquisition of GitHub by MS worries me.

I don't like it one bit.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#11 2018-06-05 14:58:48

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

So it's either
- Move to another 'potentially evil' company
- Self-hosting (waaaaaay to lazy, not prepared to share my bandwidth)
- full cancelation
- stay on github
- some commercial hosting (no)

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-06-05 15:58:26)

#12 2018-06-06 05:53:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

i don't see myself going self-hosted with git repos, either.
also, the github community infrastructure, analytical tools etc. worked really well for me, it's something i'd lose completely when going self-hosted.

i'm still asking: how "good or bad" is gitlab?
it certainly is "better" than github, and whatever the answer it's certainly a matter of degrees, but i'd like to see some hard info on that.
this looks fairly solid (customer reviews).

reminds me that they had a pretty bad hiccup a year ago.

How to migrate from GitHub to GitLab:  https://hooktube.com/watch?v=VYOXuOg9tQI

this was really easy.

yes, we must not forget what microsoft is really all about.
despite the latter article being outdated, it ties in well with the first one and iollustrates the true continuity behind MS's doings.

#13 2018-06-06 05:56:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

We gave just moved the AL repo over to Bitbucket.

Atlassian... that rings a faint bell... weren't they part of some much larger corporation still?

#14 2018-06-06 08:57:35

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Atlassian produces Jira, among other things.

#15 2018-06-06 11:06:29

altman

Dobbie03 wrote:

We gave just moved the AL repo over to Bitbucket.  Personally, and this may amount to nothing, but the acquisition of GitHub by MS worries me.

I don't like it one bit.

& thx for that mate.

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook/Intel Core i7-2670QM/ BunsenLab Helium
Dell Latitude XFR D630 /Intel Core2 Duo T7500/ BunsenLab Helium
Dell Inspiron 1720/Intel Core2 Duo T5450/ ArchLabs 2018.05
My craptop trio on Linux installs only.

#16 2018-06-06 12:40:16

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

This reminds me of just how badly we need people like Mario Savio, leader of the free speech movement at Berkeley in the 60s. Though he was speaking about free speech issues at the university itself, his words are equally applicable to these kinds of situations. If only people could be this passionate about what some of these big corporations are doing, and be able to do it without getting tasered and locked up.

Operation of the Machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsO_SlA7E8k

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#17 2018-06-06 12:46:42

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Everybody using Github's 'free' tier mustn't whine; that has always been a deal Github could back out of or alter unilaterally. The cloud is somebody else's  computers!

That being said, git is a distributed version control system, and you should be able to migrate off Github (if you want to) just fine.

In a moment of foresight, I wrote gien in 2016:

gien is a tool for exporting the contents of any Github issue tracker to a local mbox file or Maildir directory as email, thereby mapping all issues and comments to email threads.

The structure of the exported email threads mimics Github's email notifications: There is a root message for every issue, and all comments on that issue reply to that root.

The tool can also download images which are referenced using the markdown syntax ![description](image-url) in issues, comments as well as wiki pages and attach to the correct email message.

We believe that this tool will prove itself helpful when leaving Github, or just for archiving bug trackers.

IMO, on Github, the big complement to the 'bare' Git hosting aspect are the issue and PR trackers. Above tool was written to address that kind of lock-in specifically. Used it when migrating an internal BL Github repository to our privately hosted git server (so yes, although BL is mainly hosted on Github, we have copies on our own server as well as mirrors on Gitlab. Note to self: Check if the mirrors are still working).

#18 2018-06-06 13:53:39

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

earlybird wrote:

That being said, git is a distributed version control system, and you should be able to migrate off Github (if you want to) just fine.

Obviously github is much more than git, but yes with enough stamina and determination anything is possible.

#19 2018-06-06 15:29:54

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

martix wrote:

How to migrate from GitHub to GitLab:  https://hooktube.com/watch?v=VYOXuOg9tQI     Wise people make wise choices, this is why e.g. tint2 is on GitLab.

Doesn't GitLab use Google's Cloud Platform? Not sure if that's any wiser, to be honest.

My personal opinion? None really. Not invested in either platform.
Figure now's as good a time as any to learn this Mercurial thing though.

Edit:
Some good memes out there, fwiw.
De1_AOl_NX4_AA4_Dd_U.jpg

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-06-06 19:20:30)

#20 2018-06-06 17:55:19

cloverskull

Playing devil's advocate a bit, it's not like M$ will realistically change licensing or somehow decide one day that they own everything on the platform. It'd be suicidal to pretend to embrace FOSS and do something like that.

I don't plan to migrate anything off of github. Not only does it work, it works really well, and in spite of my FOSS allegiance and bias, I see no compelling reason to avoid github at this point in time.

#21 2018-06-06 22:00:57

hhh
That's it!
Website

earlybird wrote:

(so yes, although BL is mainly hosted on Github, we have copies on our own server as well as mirrors on Gitlab. Note to self: Check if the mirrors are still working)

I figured you had a backup, that's good to know.

#22 2018-06-07 07:34:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

yes, i'm a 'free tier' github user. just a hobbyist really. and i'm not 'whining'.
for me it's clear i'll migrate away from github. tbh i have never been totally happy with it and there's already been some criticism a while back... it's just always been so damn convenient.
well, not anymore.

the only question for me is "where to". right now, gitlab, for lack of choices.
yes, i can always self-host, but i wouldn't like to lose the community aspect of github a lot, and i guess gitlab is not far behind with that, and catching up fast.

glittersloth wrote:
martix wrote:

How to migrate from GitHub to GitLab:  https://hooktube.com/watch?v=VYOXuOg9tQI     Wise people make wise choices, this is why e.g. tint2 is on GitLab.

Doesn't GitLab use Google's Cloud Platform? Not sure if that's any wiser, to be honest.

https://about.gitlab.com/2018/04/05/gke … tegration/
the way i understand it, it is possible to use google cloud for some of gitlab's more advanced features, called CI (i had to look that up yesterday). not sure if that means that they're always running on google servers; probably not.

about such companies (and thus, ultimately, my repositories) being hosted in the US, well that's a problem in itself, but i guess that goes for all of github/MS/gitlab/google...

#23 2018-06-07 08:43:14

Jimbo_G

#24 2018-06-07 12:15:01

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

glittersloth wrote:

That's correct, however it's possible to use GitLab for self hosting or use something like framagit.org - there are really good alternatives to GitHub, tons of projects and masses of coders are migrating away from that site. I'm glad to see that people do care about FOSS and did react to the M$ acquisition news.

Last edited by martix (2018-06-07 12:17:34)

#25 2018-06-08 02:02:04

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Jimbo_G wrote:

GitLab use MS software as well as Google servers... It's surely no different. Either just live with big corporations or do your own thing. (You'll miss all the community connection stuff though.)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Board footer