You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-25 17:11:35

thoro

Solved: Dropbox - strange behavior

I use Dropbox via the Pipemenu, the most convenient solution for me. Installation went very well and also starting the dropbox (via the pipemenu). Also stopping the dropbox. As soon as I have started Dropbox again, I will not be offered to stop the Dropbox anymore, but only to restart it.

Bug or feature?

2018-05-25--1527268075_1440x900_scrot.th.jpg

Last edited by thoro (2018-05-26 07:54:54)

"It's just your opinion, man!"

#2 2018-05-25 23:58:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Solved: Dropbox - strange behavior

The Dropbox pipemenu is no longer included in the BL menu but the pipemenu script itself is still shipped in bunsen-pipemenus for historical reasons. Unfortunately it is no longer maintained, and bugs like the one you found will creep in.

In fact all the functionality in the pipemenu is available via the Dropbox system tray icon, but if you prefer to use the pipemenu there is a small fix. The dropbox executable's name has changed to 'dropbox_py3', so open /usr/bin/bl-dropbox-pipemenu as root, find this code, starting at line 187:

if ! pidof dropbox > /dev/null; then
            menuItem 'Start Dropbox' "$0 --start-dropbox"
        else
            menuItem 'Stop Dropbox' "$0 --stop-dropbox"
        fi

and change 'pidof dropbox' to 'pidof dropbox_py3'.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2018-05-26 00:38:53

hhh
That's easy!
Website

@johnraff, should we ship that change or continue to phase Dropbox out of BL?

#4 2018-05-26 05:12:14

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I'd say just drop bl-dropbox-pipemenu because I don't feel like keeping two dropbox scripts up to date (that and the bl-welcome page)

But now we've got a case of someone who actally prefers the pipemenu.
Anyway, since the fix has already been pinned down I guess we could push it out with the next upgrade of bunsen-pipemenus, but I don't think it justifies a package upgrade by itself, since it's not used in our default menu.

Last edited by johnraff (2018-05-26 05:13:58)

John
--------------------

#5 2018-05-26 07:36:23

cloverskull

I almost feel like some of these custom pipe menus are better served as community additions. Things like this work perfectly in a forum howto thread, or a personal git repo. I’ve always felt a bit weird about all the custom pipe menus bundled in BL. Seems like it introduces unnecessary maintenance overhead.

#6 2018-05-26 07:49:21

thoro

First of all: The changed bl-dropbox-pipemenu works well, thank you John.

Well, the dropbox pipemenu is still in the menu.xml (although commented out). And I think the solution via the pipemenu is great because I can only activate Dropbox on demand. Since I don't use Dropbox permanently, I find the autostart variant a bit overdressed.

I'm also not a fan of too complex pipemenus (in fact I brought most menus back to the level it was with #! without all the options to install software - especially the Graphics and Multimedia menus).

#7 2018-05-27 02:15:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

thoro wrote:

... the pipemenu is great because I can only activate Dropbox on demand. Since I don't use Dropbox permanently, I find the autostart variant a bit overdressed.

If you install Dropbox via the bl-welcome script, you will also be able to choose whether to enable autostarting or not. The two scripts are quite similar, but I guess using the pipemenu does give you the option of starting Dropbox "on-demand".

Last edited by johnraff (2018-05-27 02:16:18)

John
--------------------

#8 2018-05-27 02:17:58

hhh
That's easy!
Website

cloverskull wrote:

I almost feel like some of these custom pipe menus are better served as community additions. Things like this work perfectly in a forum howto thread, or a personal git repo. I’ve always felt a bit weird about all the custom pipe menus bundled in BL. Seems like it introduces unnecessary maintenance overhead.

A valid criticism, thank you. This is @johnraff's territory, and I'll trust his judgment on it.

#9 2018-05-27 03:59:06

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:

I'd say just drop bl-dropbox-pipemenu because I don't feel like keeping two dropbox scripts up to date (that and the bl-welcome page)

But now we've got a case of someone who actally prefers the pipemenu.
Anyway, since the fix has already been pinned down I guess we could push it out with the next upgrade of bunsen-pipemenus, but I don't think it justifies a package upgrade by itself, since it's not used in our default menu.

Sounds like a good idea to keep the Dropbox pipemenu around at least, so if the name of the Dropbox executable changes it's then trivial to change it in the pipemenu get it working again.

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2018-05-27 05:04:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^True, but if we just dropped the pipemenu then there would be no need to maintain anything! The Dropbox systray gives you control, once dropbox is running. 'dropbox.py start' will start it if it isn't.

John
--------------------

#11 2018-05-27 05:09:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

cloverskull wrote:

Thanks for your input. This touches on the whole issue of just how much convenience BL should come with built-in, and how much should be left to the user to set up afterwards. The discussion has gone this way and that over the years, and of course there's a range of opinions, and a range of abilities, among BL users. It's impossible to keep everyone happy - though we'd like to of course! smile

John
--------------------

#12 2018-05-27 17:52:24

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:

^True, but if we just dropped the pipemenu then there would be no need to maintain anything! The Dropbox systray gives you control, once dropbox is running. 'dropbox.py start' will start it if it isn't.

True, but good to have options at least smile

Real Men Use Linux

#13 2018-05-28 03:02:59

johnraff
nullglob
Website

In fact, a more future-proof bugfix for the dropbox pipemenu detection of a running dropbox would be to use dropbox.py instead. Not hard:

if $USER_DBPY running > /dev/null; then
            menuItem 'Start Dropbox' "$0 --start-dropbox"
        else
            menuItem 'Stop Dropbox' "$0 --stop-dropbox"
        fi

'dropbox.py running' returns 1 if it is running, and 0 if it is not.

John
--------------------

#14 2018-05-28 13:54:49

thoro

@John: really nice script. Thank you!

Board footer