You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-24 06:13:01

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: [OUTDATED] BunsenLabs Helium RC1 ISO image

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Not sure about default line height thought (I think it is a bit crowded)?
p.s. Line-height suggestion (or maybe even 'line_height=2;2;' with the current font).

Not quite sure about this one. Maybe 1;1; but 2;2; looked too much to me. Anyone else?
BTW if making a new filetypes.common file, line_height needs to be under a [styling] header. Had me scratching my head for a while.

Perhaps 'Line Wrapping' could be on by default, it removes the annoying vertical scrollbar, that shows even with empty doc.

Personally, for a text editor I'd prefer line wrapping to be off by default. Anyone else?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#27 2018-04-24 07:21:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Specifically: `man bash` in the Pipelines section, the vertical separator in the example format command cannot be displayed with letterSpace:-2

Right. In urxvt that is. Terminator with the same Inconsolata font, displaying with the same horizontal spacing, works fine. Likewise, change the font to Noto Sans Mono, and  the size down from 11 to 10, for an identical (to me) appearance in both terminals, and the issue is gone.

It looks as if urxvt's font rendering mechanism and Inconsolata might not get on.

Can we go back to Noto Sans Mono for Monospace in fonts.conf? It might be not as beautiful as Inconsolata (when it's working), but it will at least be consistent with the Sans and Serif default fonts, which are also Noto.

John
--------------------

#28 2018-04-24 08:11:49

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

johnraff wrote:

Perhaps 'Line Wrapping' could be on by default, it removes the annoying vertical scrollbar, that shows even with empty doc.

Personally, for a text editor I'd prefer line wrapping to be off by default. Anyone else?

Vertical scrollbar? I'm not sure which scrollbar you are talking about. Is it about that vertical line, the 72-character line break? Edit: Ah, I just realized it's probably the bar on the right - btw. I have both in a new doc, horizontal and vertical. Anyhow, I tend to prefer line wrapping off as default, but no strong opinion on the topic.

Looking at those g* links for the distro files I always shudder. I understand it's convenient to use and it works. Still, someone might think it's like when someone from a company using an email address ending with gmail.com. Glad to see there is the vinzv mirror.

Last edited by martix (2018-04-24 08:28:39)

#29 2018-04-24 08:25:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^If you build files you can put them up in any web service that meets your high moral standards. Yes, Google just happens to be convenient for me.

Official BunsenLabs releases are all hosted on our own server, so just wait a bit and you won't have to get your hands dirty.

John
--------------------

#30 2018-04-24 08:59:29

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^Oh, in the first line it's not just about moral standards. More like the example with someone from a company having an e-mail with gmail.com at the end. It gives the impression that the company is either not capable of setting up its own email server - i.e. not professional enough -, or it just does not care about its own or customer's data (in the end mostly both). I'm not saying it's like that with this distro as I know it isn't. In case of a linux distro users still might think of some separate server space - like for the official release - or own cloud instances (set up e.g. with tools like owncloud or nextcloud). I did not mention it to convince anyone of the good or bad way of doing things as it's every users own decision e.g. to use a g* links or not. My side note just tried to point out what kind of impression it might make to the public especially in the linux world. Luckily it has no influence on the quality of the distro either way and that's what matters in the end.

#31 2018-04-24 09:42:40

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Vertical scrollbar? I'm not sure which scrollbar you are talking about

Horizontal I meant actually, let me screenshot this ...
horizontal.th.png

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-04-24 09:45:40)

#32 2018-04-24 09:45:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Those Google Drive links are only for testing here on the forum, because it's quick and easy. Sure, I could have set up an Owncloud account or something, but am kind of busy atm, and - rightly or wrongly - don't see it as such a high priority as you seem to. Is there some risk forum members face from using them? No-one has to provide any data to download a file. The sha256 digests are provided. Anyway, as I said above, official BL files are all hosted on our own server.

John
--------------------

#33 2018-04-24 17:59:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

Can we go back to Noto Sans Mono for Monospace in fonts.conf?

Yes, I think that may be the best option (if it shows no errors with a sufficiently narrow spacing).

I've actually given up on xft fonts in the terminal on my own systems for this exact reason cry

[joke] I suppose this is out of the question?  monkey [/joke]

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#34 2018-04-24 18:42:07

cog

text based installer worked good on amd64 UEFI, full disk luks/lvm

haven't noticed any problems so far

10% of The Fishermen Catch 90% of The Fish

#35 2018-04-24 19:19:47

orionH

Did an easy peasy install, ran the welcome script with my usual choices. Default desktop, all cool so far.

#36 2018-04-25 07:31:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Can we go back to Noto Sans Mono for Monospace in fonts.conf?

Yes, I think that may be the best option (if it shows no errors with a sufficiently narrow spacing).

xAILAK4m.png
Terminator on the left, Urxvt on the right.
(The right-arrow glyph displayed too.)

Font is Noto Sans Mono, size taken down from 11 to 10 because Inconsolata was smaller.
letterSpace: -2 gives identical horizontal spacing for the two terminals.
I've discovered urxvt has vertical spacing too, and
lineSpace: 1 gets them aligned vertically too. cool

(I tried taking letterSpace down to -3 just to see what happened, and while the characters were squashed horribly together, the man bash pipeline glyph was displayed, and no error messages appeared.)

So it looks as if we might be OK with -2 and Noto Sans Mono
Shall we put in the lineSpace: 1 too?

John
--------------------

#37 2018-04-25 08:23:54

johnraff
nullglob
Website

johnraff wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Also, if the Helium_Flatish_Grey theme is selected in BLOB then bl-exit still has the green tint despite [style] being set as grey.rc in /usr/share/bunsen/utilities/blob/Helium_Flatish_Grey/bl-exitrc

I think this is my fault, sorry. I took out the non-standard configs from /etc/bl-exit a little while ago (at the suggestion of another dev), leaving only the default Helium green. I quite forgot that some BLOB themes used the Grey style.
I'll check BLOB and put back, for now, at least the styles that are used there.

grey.rc restored in bunsen-exit 9.1.4-1.

John
--------------------

#38 2018-04-25 14:39:45

mynis

My Arch Linux VM that I was using at work took a nose dive today so I think I'm going to replace it with this. Hopefully there aren't many changes between now and the final release, but my use case is fairly simple so I doubt I'll have any problems.

#39 2018-04-25 15:28:13

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Vertical scrollbar? I'm not sure which scrollbar you are talking about

Horizontal I meant actually, let me screenshot this ...

Yes, I do see your point. The majority of users might not even notice that bar though. And the vertical line I mentioned: There is a post where to turn it off (Edit -> Preferences-> Editor -> Display-> Uncheck ‘Enabled’ in Long line maker).

#40 2018-04-25 15:57:18

Pink Unicorn

I'm so excited. I've waited very very very long time and............ I'm still waiting LOL

#41 2018-04-25 16:06:54

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

vinzv wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The BunsenLabs team is pleased to announce the availability of our RC1 ISO image for Helium, the next release (based on Debian 9).

Awesome job guys!
All files mirrored here: https://mirror.vinzv.space/bunsenlabs/helium/rc1/

And it's working just fine. Downloaded from the mirror. Boot UEFI and live session all good, everything working out of the box.

Last edited by PackRat (2018-04-25 16:10:48)

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#42 2018-04-26 06:08:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

So it looks as if we might be OK with -2 and Noto Sans Mono
Shall we put in the lineSpace: 1 too?

Yes and yes smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#43 2018-04-26 09:38:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

johnraff wrote:

Font is Noto Sans Mono...

Unfortunately, there is no such font as Noto Sans Mono. ops
What I was getting was the nearest match, DejaVu Sans Mono.

I spent this afternoon trying all the monospace fonts that we install by default - there aren't many and none of them are perfect for urxvt, as it turns out. The Noto Mono that I thought I was testing earlier passed the man bash vertical separator test, but mangled some bold capital letters together in the titles. (With letterSpace -2 that is, -1 is too wide, whatever font, except Ubuntu Mono which we don't provide anyway.)

Finally, DejaVu Sans Mono looked like the best option, and it's a fairly well-respected font I think. fonts-dejavu came in my test system as a Recommends: of urxvt, so we'd have to add it back to the iso install list; fonts-dejavu-core would be enough in fact. The type size in Terminator and urxvt is no longer exactly the same, but I can't find any way of achieving that and having clean font display on urxvt.

...sigh...

Last edited by johnraff (2018-04-27 01:13:04)

John
--------------------

#44 2018-04-26 17:29:39

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

It would be Noto Mono.

#45 2018-04-27 05:03:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

This is what comes of hurrying to meet a deadline I suppose, but I still hadn't got it completely sorted out yesterday. I did some more experimenting on a laptop last night, and imported the result on a VM here to test.

johnraff wrote:

letterSpace ... -1 is too wide

Not actually true. With Inconsolata it does make the letter spacing too wide (and -2 had those rendering issues) but with the other mono fonts available in Helium by default - Noto Mono, Liberation Mono and DejaVu Sans Mono (via urxvt) - 'letterSpace: -1' makes the character spacing just right. What made me think it was too wide was that urxvt's window geometry is measured in characters not pixels, so going from -2 to -1 makes the window too big. The character spacing - at least with Noto, DejaVu or Liberation - is fine, and the window geometry just needs adjusting. lineSpace is no longer needed either.

Personally, maybe I slightly prefer DejaVu to Noto, and Liberation after that, but everyone has their own preferences (it's a pity about Inconsolata's width) so I propose we use Noto Mono which is in the same family as our default serif and sans-serif fonts, and won't need any new packages to be installed.

The .Xresources section I'm just about to edit - yet again - looks like this:

! "monospace" is an alias defined in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
URxvt.font: xft:monospace:size=10
URxvt.boldFont: xft:monospace:bold:size=10
! Add fallback fonts as laid out in `man 1 urxvt` under "font:" in the RESOURCES section

URxvt.letterSpace: -1
!URxvt.lineSpace: 1
! The letterSpace and lineSpace settings are highly dependent on the font(s) configured above
! and should be changed or removed as necessary.

! Window size and position
!URxvt*geometry: 60x22+50+100
! Window size, let the Window Manager position it
URxvt.geometry: 83x35

And fonts.conf:

<alias>
        <family>monospace</family>
        <prefer>
            <family>Noto Mono</family>
        </prefer>
    </alias>
johnraff wrote:

The type size in Terminator and urxvt is no longer exactly the same, but I can't find any way of achieving that and having clean font display on urxvt.

In fact it's OK. The Terminator and Urxvt windows are now identical. smile
Why so much fuss about a non-default terminal? I'd like new adopters who switch from Terminator to urxvt to get as good a first impression as possible, that's all.

John
--------------------

#46 2018-04-27 07:25:40

cog

John have you tried the ttf-hack-font?? It’s real similar to Ubuntu Mono.

It’s what KDE defaults to in Konslole.

Last edited by cog (2018-04-27 07:26:15)

10% of The Fishermen Catch 90% of The Fish

#47 2018-04-27 07:39:32

hhh
That's it!
Website

This will go horribly off-topic and will need to be split, but...

johnraff wrote:

Why so much fuss about a non-default terminal? I'd like new adopters who switch from Terminator to urxvt to get as good a first impression as possible, that's all.

I use lxterminal by default due to it's lightness and easy GUI configs, but I think rxvt-unicode is flipping fantastic and it's what I would use as default, with copy/paste functionality added (easily done), if I made a distro.

Why did corenominal choose Terminator? What are it's distinct qualities?

#48 2018-04-27 07:48:10

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

Why did corenominal choose Terminator? What are it's distinct qualities?

A great topic for a new thread - go for it!!

You are of course aware that the choice of a default terminal emulator has been the subject of intense, prolonged discussion, both here and on CrunchBang? For every urxvt enthusiast (yrs trly included) there's a Terminator fan. Whenever we suggested switching from Terminator to something a bit lighter there were so many suggestions for different terminals (yes lxterminal included) that it soon degenerated into chaos. Still, Terminator must have some good qualities, and the only thing anywhere near a consensus that we could reach was to stay with it as the default.

BTW urxvt already has copy/paste: Ctrl+Alt+{C,V}

Last edited by johnraff (2018-04-27 07:49:27)

John
--------------------

#49 2018-04-27 07:58:56

hhh
That's it!
Website

johnraff wrote:

BTW urxvt already has copy/paste: Ctrl+Alt+{C,V}

By default now? Bravo!

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4767

#50 2018-04-27 14:18:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

cog wrote:

John have you tried the ttf-hack-font?? It’s real similar to Ubuntu Mono.

Thanks! I grabbed the fonts-ubuntu deb from Buster (installed OK) but didn't know about Hack. Set as default monospace on my system, looking good. smile

Last edited by johnraff (2018-04-27 14:18:50)

John
--------------------

Board footer