You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-08 21:25:03

vinzv
Website

Conceptual question on group memberships

Starting from hhh's question on locked screen audio controls I searched on the web and stumbled across this Ubuntu wiki page mentioning:

As a practical rule of thumb for Debian and Ubuntu systems, there should be no users in the audio group. […]

And further:

[…] user A is in the audio group is logged in, and is playing music. User B wants the computer temporarily, so they switch users (via fast-user-switching, without user A logging out). Since A can still use the sound card, A's music will continue to play and user B can't access the sound card (regardless of whether B is in the audio group or not).

So, my question is: are there any reasons for adding group audio to the initially set up user of BL?

#2 2018-04-09 04:23:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Conceptual question on group memberships

The short answer is that BL didn't do it, it's the Debian default to put new users in audio. (see eg 'man adduser.conf')

I've seen the argument you quote, and it seems to make sense, but the Debian Wiki, for example, says that adding users to audio is "the recommended way to allow a user to play audio": https://wiki.debian.org/SoundConfiguration so not everyone agrees, and meanwhile the software environment keeps changing...

The default could be changed with a debian-installer preseed line in our iso, but we try to follow Debian defaults as far as possible, unless there's a clear reason to change and we feel confident in guiding people who run into trouble as a result.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2018-04-09 09:11:14

vinzv
Website

Re: Conceptual question on group memberships

Okay, sticking with Debian's way is fine I guess, especially for the reasons you gave. Thanks for clarification!

Board footer