You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-27 19:42:49

tetsuo29

Generic icons in taskbar

Hi,

If this question has been asked before, I must not be searching for right terms.

I installed 2 Electron based apps (Simplenote & Wunderlistux).

I was able to add them to the Tint2 launcher panel (upper left corner of the screen) and their icons display properly there.

However, when I run them, they get generic icons in the Tint2 taskbar (if that's what the area just to the right of the launcher panel is called). They also have generic icons in the window that appears when alt+tabbing.

I really would like to figure out how to get these apps to display their correct icons in the taskbar. I've been Google-ing to no avail.

Thanks in advance for ideas, suggestions, or solutions.

#2 2018-03-28 00:26:07

vinzv
Website

Re: Generic icons in taskbar

Are there respective .desktop files in /usr/share/applications? Maybe adding or tweaking them could help. (Consider moving them to .local/share/applications in advance.)

#3 2018-03-28 04:15:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

tetsuo29 wrote:

I was able to add them to the Tint2 launcher panel (upper left corner of the screen) and their icons display properly there.

However, when I run them, they get generic icons in the Tint2 taskbar (if that's what the area just to the right of the launcher panel is called). They also have generic icons in the window that appears when alt+tabbing.

this has been a much-discussed issue.
i don't know of an actual solution to this; i recommend my fbpanel workaround.

#4 2018-03-30 17:29:33

tetsuo29

ohnonot wrote:

i recommend my fbpanel workaround.

I read that thread but, unless I'm just overlooking it, I don't see any level of detail (beyond a shared config file) of how to implement your fix.

Is it just install fbpanel and then create a config file like the one that is shared in that thread? Or, are there other steps to setting things up?

Thanks.

#5 2018-03-30 21:19:59

hhh
That's easy!
Website

^Earlier in the thread ohnonot mentions that there is a plugin for fbpanel that handles icons. He'll have to post more info, I've never used that panel.

I've installed simplenote on stretch/helium using the *.deb package they provide. This is not a *.desktop issue as simplenote creates a simplenote.desktop file and icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor. xfce4-appfinder shows the simplenote icon, but, indeed running simplenote in openbox or in xfce4 creates a "generic" icon in openbox app-switcher/tint2/xfce4-panel. So the application isn't providing the window manager with the right icon information.

I have no idea if the icon displays correctly under GNOME or KDE, but you might try reporting the issue to simplenote. I'm sure they'd want to know that their icon doesn't get displayed using Xfce4.

#6 2018-03-31 05:13:12

ohnonot
...again
Website

tetsuo29 wrote:

Is it just install fbpanel and then create a config file like the one that is shared in that thread?

yes, that's all that's required.

the plugin is part of the fbpanel package, so no additional installations.
you then have to tell fbpanel to load that config.
all custom icons have to be defined in that config.

big plus: you can use generic icon names (i.e. "terminal" instead of "/path/to/icon/theme/terminal.png" or such), so they will change when you change icon themes.

edit: i have explained everything in that other thread, please read all my posts from that thread.

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-03-31 05:15:12)

Board footer