You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-22 23:31:34

cloverskull

How to track unstable?

Hey guys,

I've been using helium dev happily for a while now but have recently started a class that expects us to use Kali linux. I want to try using the Kali tools in BL, but they require tracking unstable.

So, basically, I was going to just change my apt sources to point to unstable, apt upgrade, apt dist-upgrade, and hope for the best. I see that BL has its own unstable repos, so I'll use those as well. Does anyone have any further guidance?

I'm happy to write up a how-to if this is of value to other people.

For what it's worth, I fully intend on writing the kali-tools howto.

#2 2018-02-22 23:35:18

twoion
ほやほや

Re: How to track unstable?

Uh, BL unstable is horribly out of date and mostly useless, don't use it. I should delete it (I used it to ship mpv-bash-competion at some point).

As for how to upgrade to unstable: First dist-upgrade to testing (buster), then to unstable. Note that sometimes upgrading (to) unstable is not possible because of inconsistent package relations, if it doesn't work you just need to try later.

What can you see / On the horizon?

#3 2018-02-22 23:41:37

cloverskull

Ah, gotcha. Ok. Bummer. That seems like a lot of investment for something that may or may not work. I'll just use regular old kali. Thanks for the quick reply.

#4 2018-02-23 01:08:31

twoion
ほやほや

cloverskull wrote:

Ah, gotcha. Ok. Bummer. That seems like a lot of investment for something that may or may not work. I'll just use regular old kali. Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds worse than it was. I was tracking unstable from 2011-2014 and only encountered breakage/impossible upgrades a few times. Unstable can definitely be used on a production desktop system if that's what you're looking for. I'd even recommend unstable over testing since testing becomes rotten once they close it for the next release. Been there.

What can you see / On the horizon?

#5 2018-02-23 07:50:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Kali is intended to be run "live" from a USB stick rather than installed.

Also, our desktop will break if you track sid instead wink

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#6 2018-02-23 19:12:55

cloverskull

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Kali is intended to be run "live" from a USB stick rather than installed.

Also, our desktop will break if you track sid instead wink

Kali is intended to be run in a lot of different ways. You can even install the Kali tools directly into Windows 10 with M$'s new "Ubuntu backend" thing or whatever they're calling it. They've also been actively working on making a full Kali distro for ARM based hardware. And, if I'm being pedantic, I may as well share part of their official documentation where they describe in detail how to install kali on bare metal. smile I mean, BL can either be run live or installed, just like Kali. But I digress.

As to tracking sid, that's a bummer, I was hoping to merge what I love about BL with the Kali toolset instead of using another entire VM dedicated to Kali, but it is what it is. I also thought it'd be cool for me to do a writeup of how to get Kali tools into your BL desktop, but I guess it isn't in the cards. Oh well.

#7 2018-02-23 19:28:06

beaker

A bunsenlabs looking debian sid with the kali tools should be achievable. Don't be discouraged.

#8 2018-02-23 19:39:44

cloverskull

Maybe I'll circle back in several months after my class. I'll just use Kali itself for now, since that's the lowest friction path to me being able to iterate on classwork. But I would like to find a way to unofficially document a sort of BunsenLabs Pentesting fork.

#9 2018-02-23 19:46:54

beaker

Yup - fair enough.

#10 2018-02-23 19:55:22

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Some gtk themes and stuff may break and tracking Sid can be adventurous at times but it is not uncommon for me to track it. I've just been trying to be more well behaved these days.  angel

Just kidding, between school and my work for BL, I need my desktops stable for the time being. However, if you are not the type to freak out when confronted with a console, then Sid might just be ok for you. Just keep a spare BL hydrogen key around in case you need to chroot in and fix things, and ensure you have a backup strategy in place.

EDIT: Or just track Sid from a Virtual Machine install.

#11 2018-02-24 01:40:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Maybe, instead of trying to adapt a BL setup, consider importing some of the BL packages into a working Sid system?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#12 2018-02-24 11:51:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The jump from jessie to sid is huge and probably should not be attempted at all, however...

I've just changed my helium-dev system to track sid and added the Kali repositories and it all still works after a dist-upgrade:

2018-02-24-113729_1280x720_scrot.th.png

To do this, I removed all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list and replaced them with this single entry:

deb https://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

Then I removed the BL repositories and added a Kali source:

deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free

Authorise the Kail repository with:

wget http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/k/kali-archive-keyring/kali-archive-keyring_2018.1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i kali-archive-keyring*.deb

Finally, update the package database and upgrade the system:

sudo apt update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The Kali tools seem to be installable and this desktop doesn't run as root OOTB, unlike a Kali install.

Use at your own risk, of course.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#13 2018-02-28 02:56:20

cloverskull

This worked well. I was also able to install the Kali tools. Unfortunately there isn't a convenient and current menu for Kali tools in Openbox, so...I will have to work on that smile

Board footer