You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-02 22:38:37

sexynsmartjenny

need some program to change the resolution of my laptop [SOLVED]

okay so now after I have updated my graphic driver, I run into yet another problem. I have two screens for my laptop, one is my TV and the other one is the laptop screen. So Apparently with ARandR screen display editor that came with bunsenlab, my TV and my laptop couldn't sync, namely, my TV is 1024X768 and my laptop is something like 1366X768 and I cant see certain sections of my screen on my TV and I primarily use my laptop through my TV, so I need some fix. I remember when I was using crunchbang a long time ago, I had the same problem, but back then I was using nvidia and there was some program that can adjust the resolution on nvdia and I was wondering if there is some similar program for ATT.

p.s. I didn't have this issue when I did not update my graphic driver.

Last edited by sexynsmartjenny (2018-02-03 20:59:48)

#2 2018-02-03 10:27:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: need some program to change the resolution of my laptop [SOLVED]

There are a few options here:

• set the resolution for your TV in ~/.config/openbox/autostart so that your desktop always starts at the TV resolution

• create a udev rule to apply the resolution automatically if you plug in the TV

• try upgrading the drivers to the newer versions in jessie-backports to see if they do this automagically

But first of all can we please see the full output of this command (with the TV connected):

xrandr

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2018-02-03 11:33:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

sexynsmartjenny wrote:

Apparently with ARandR screen display editor that came with bunsenlab, my TV and my laptop couldn't sync, namely, my TV is 1024X768 and my laptop is something like 1366X768 and I cant see certain sections of my screen on my TV and I primarily use my laptop through my TV, so I need some fix.

in arandr, have you tried dragging the two screens around so that they are side-by-side?

#4 2018-02-03 16:10:19

sexynsmartjenny

ohnonot wrote:
sexynsmartjenny wrote:

Apparently with ARandR screen display editor that came with bunsenlab, my TV and my laptop couldn't sync, namely, my TV is 1024X768 and my laptop is something like 1366X768 and I cant see certain sections of my screen on my TV and I primarily use my laptop through my TV, so I need some fix.

in arandr, have you tried dragging the two screens around so that they are side-by-side?

That's a good idea. Thanks

But everytime after I shutdown, the resolution resorts back to their original state. How do I make it stay?

Last edited by sexynsmartjenny (2018-02-03 16:11:30)

#5 2018-02-03 17:43:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

sexynsmartjenny wrote:

How do I make it stay?

The `arandr` program has a "Save As" option in the "Layout" menu that saves a shell script to do that.

Save the file as ~/Documents/screens (the ".sh" suffix is added automatically) and then add this line to ~/.config/openbox/autostart:

~/Documents/screens.sh

Alternatively, use this to display the contents of the script:

cat ~/Documents/scripts.sh

and enter the full `xrandr` command (everything after the "#!/bin/sh" line) directly into openbox's autostart file.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#6 2018-02-03 21:00:04

sexynsmartjenny

thanks head on a stick, that worked! big_smile

#7 2018-11-08 10:55:29

cherkie

started new thread - sorry mods!

Last edited by cherkie (2018-11-08 12:25:31)

I don't have patience or skill to dig deep enough every time system breaks itself or when I break something because of lack of patience and skill.
nore, 23 Feb 2019

Board footer