You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-15 22:47:58

Henry

How to set up a blog with Static Side Generators

Hi, I am interested in setting up a blog with a static site generator and searching for a step-by-step guide in English or German language. What have I to install on my computer (which program is in the official Debian repositories)? How can I run it? How to write the blog post and create the page, that I can transfer it to my webspace via ftp? How to post the next blog post? Etc. The docs I found were to technically for me. Some suggestions? Or even a short introduction into the topic from own experience?

#2 2018-01-15 23:59:32

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Re: How to set up a blog with Static Side Generators

Nothing really to add to the above wonderful description of things, but a lil blurp about my battle with jekyll can be read here
https://brontosaurusrex.github.io/about/

#3 2018-01-16 06:43:35

ohnonot
...again

My experience with jekyll was that it doesn't lend itself easily to blog creation (particularly if you want searchable tagging, or some other sort of organising posts by topic).
brontosaurusrex, i didn't read your blurp completely. care to contradict me?

Henry, you have not told us where your site is hosted, how you connect to the server, and if it can run PHP or a database.
I question the need for a static site generator - if you can run PHP, i'd recommend a simple flat file CMS instead, and posts created in markdown.

#4 2018-01-16 07:14:04

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Haven't done anything at the tag area, so I belive you.
edit: this http://longqian.me/2017/02/09/github-jekyll-tag/ ?
edit2: Will play a bit with this, so far tags implemented in prose.io interface (via _config.yaml), now to see what can be done with that build/display wide.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-01-16 12:38:18)

#5 2018-01-16 10:02:28

Henry

First, thank you twoion for your detailed description. I asks myself if I have the time to do the necessary steps. I will have a closer look on your suggestions soon.

"Henry, you have not told us where your site is hosted, how you connect to the server, and if it can run PHP or a database.
I question the need for a static site generator - if you can run PHP, i'd recommend a simple flat file CMS instead, and posts created in markdown."

I connect with ftpes or via web application and it runs php and databases are possible.

I tried Kirby CMS but the Theme didn't offer Tags. Organizing content is important for me. (I had a WordPress blog in the past.) I tried to add Tags in the Kirby  template and the controller and Tags works - same with Search - but after that the site didn't look good anymore. The support told me I first have to learn more about html and css before I can change the appearance of the site. After a lot of time of trying to set it up I surrender. I would like to learn it but don't have the time.

So I hoped, that static site generators are easier to use.

If possible I don't want to install WordPress. Are you having a suggestion for a flat file CMS with easier to customize themes? I have no fear to put code into php.files but somebody must give me the code and tell me where to put it in:) By the way, I learned using an editor with BunsenLabs:-))

I had a look at the Github sites created with a site generator. A lot of them looked pretty cool.

#6 2018-01-16 19:45:40

ohnonot
...again

it seems we are off the static site generator requirement?
if so, i'd like to offer grav - it is what my blog was running on, until it crashed spectacularly.
now i'm looking for something much simpler.

in any case, food for thought:
i think it's easier, nicer, more convenient - to create posts in the form of plain text files (markdown is my preference), that then get picked up by the framework automatically.
instead of having to rebuild the (whole) site after each post.

#7 2018-01-16 22:11:07

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

@ohnonot: a try at primitive tagging system, example per tag page.

Predefined tags show in prose.io interface, single-line 'cloud' in footer and in post view one can see which ones belong to that specific post.

There was quite a lot of copy/pasting involved and yeah it is primitive (and actually with my brains it's even hard to pick a tag that would somehow describe the reality of the post, I have added tags named like 'luv' and 'mine' for example ...)

pros:
- It does build on github
- was a nice test if I can do it

cons:
- Can't see any real usefulness so far
- will increase build time
- Not sure if even the base idea of user defined tags makes any sense (perhaps this should be machine generated, including tag names)
- Navigation that comes out of it is somehow rigid/annoying, no fluidity (would need complete rethinkering of the navigational structure)
- It makes an example of how really dumb static pages are in certain areas
- It made me open css files

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-01-16 23:04:42)

#8 2018-01-18 08:15:57

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

@ohnonot: So what do you think about 'my' implementation? Wrong/right? Things missing or not? Any other kind of searches that should be there and are expected from static-side generators?  Any other thoughts?

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-01-18 09:01:52)

#9 2018-01-18 19:56:21

ohnonot
...again

@brontosaurusrex:
jekyll didn't really convince me, so i haven't tried your additions.

ohnonot wrote:

i think it's easier, nicer, more convenient - to create posts in the form of plain text files (markdown is my preference), that then get picked up by the framework automatically.
instead of having to rebuild the (whole) site after each post.

i like how your blog is structured though, strikes a balance between minimalism and usability - and looks good!

#10 2018-01-19 05:23:14

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

In a way that's a beauty of static generators (imho), one can use the dumbest one (and version from 2001) and it still only matters what was generated at the end really.

#11 2018-01-19 07:46:47

ohnonot
...again

i can see the appeal for people using services like github pages or shared hosting, but since i'm in full control of everything and have a direct NFS connection to my server folders, something like pico makes more sense - to me.

i know that in theory, static pages will always be faster, but the overhead of the above mentioned is minuscule (my previous cms, grav, was much worse, despite being flat-file and "lightweight").

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-01-19 07:47:19)

Board footer