You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-30 07:10:54

ghorvath

Firmwares

Is Bunsenlabs installing all firmware files, or is the installer checking the system for parts and only installs that is required? E.g. the debian netinstall tells you what network cards you have and what firmware files they need. Is BL only installing these, or all of them just to make sure?

#2 2015-10-30 08:20:35

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Firmwares

BL is installing:
firmware-b43-installer
firmware-b43legacy-installer
firmware-linux
which bring in a lot of drivers, hopefully enough for most people.
(firmware-linux is a metapackage which brings in firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree)

firmware-linux-nonfree wrote:

This package contains the binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel. This is a collection of firmware blobs which are not individually large enough to warrant a standalone package.

It's about 5MB.

But there are other firmware packages available in the Debian repositories:

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2015-10-30 08:55:19

ghorvath

I see. In any case, I can check with

journalctl | grep firmware

which firmwares are actually loaded by the kernel.

I only needed this because I updated the kernel from backports, it complained that some of the firmwares might be outdated, and I was wondering which firmware packages should I update, as well.

#4 2015-10-30 14:42:27

hhh
Meep!
Website

If you mean a message like "W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-3.fw for module r8169" but your wifi is working fine, you can safely ignore it.

If you want to get rid of future warnings, install firmware-realtek from jessie-backports...
https://packages.debian.org/jessie-back … re-realtek

Bug report...
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=777593

#5 2015-10-30 15:43:04

ghorvath

Thank you, I did install it already on my machine. In fact, somehow with the backported 4.2 kernel it turned the internet connection off after 15 minutes and 30 seconds.... I am not sure why. Then I upgraded firmware-realtek from jessie-backports (somewhere read that somebody had similar problems and it was a realtek firmware issue), and everything seems to be fine since then. I was just wondering if maybe other firmware packages need to be upgraded. But then I did a journalctl | grep firmware, and checked all loaded firmwares by hand.

Board footer