You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-26 08:43:20

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

A possible way around FLASH playerXYZ to watch youtube and other such.

Ok obligatory warning: You should have a proven incremental backup/restore plan already in place. If you're doing bare-metal, which I often prefer and atm my hardware won't support virtual-machines/KVM so for me that's out. Either way this is gnu/Linux there's 234 easy and great ways to backup and easily restore your OS's or data in mere minutes. So use common sense, the reset/easy button in all this is never more than a push or couple commands away. Provided you have some wee tiny bit of sense, it's not ever an "I'VE ONLY GOT ONE SHOT @ THIS", "DO OR DIE" situation. Break an install, fix it or restore it or setup a new VM etc ... fast and easy, get back to messing with it some more until you figure it out or break it again. *RINSE/REPEAT* however many times you like without fear.

Yep, pretty much what the stupe title says. I HATE FLASH, all it's browser players of any ilk. In my experience they all suck down resources like a hobo which finds themselves (breaks)in a winery etc. Personally can't stand it and makes my teeth itch and so, a certain dork who shall remain nameless in this babble how-to, happened to click on a youtube vid link that was of interest, ok ... it's playing fine BUT the resource miser in said dork, can't help but pop open a terminal to see what "top" and "sensors" are going to show about system resources being used to enjoy this video.

And to my ... errr his horror, yep, it's gobbling down system resources to a ridiculous extent, now I don't have a flashplayer plugin of any sort, so assuming it was html5 or whatever in action. I don't like flashplayer plugins, don't want to use them but yeppers, still like youtube and similar sites content and want easy access to streaming media when desired. Back to terminal output ...

Dual-core @ 109%, load avgs skyrocketing and of course so were the systems components temperatures. From usual mid-40degs C to 80deg/C. Nopers not putting up with this and time to find a solution. I remembered using a cool lil program called youtube-viewer, which is still available on github, believe used it in conjunction with VLC. Which can play streaming media content and that it was ultra-light on sys resources compared to flashplayer(FROM HELL, this or that.)

Ok well, don't remember how I installed youtube-viewer, wasn't tough, it's perl, didn't want to bother installing it from github or compiling it either. So google !?!? Media-players ... ah, up popped one called SMplayer with integrated youtube browsing/play(via an associated package called smtube), hmmmm sounds good.

Both of these are in the stock Stretch repo's, though are/were dated. One thing I remember is that Goog Inc likes to occasionally change youtube's API, so that stuff which used to allow easy search/view/download would stop working until the maintainer came out with a newer version to get around whatever Goog! had done. As such opted to install from the Debian unstable branch repo's "sudo apt-get install -t unstable smplayer smtube -s". The -s flag on that is for simulated, it simulates installing but doesn't actually do it.

UPDATE: Less drastic, though either one fairly harmless. However if you're using BL-Hydrogen (based on Jessie) a more conservative approach would/could be adding the Stretch or Stretch backports repo's to sources.list or sources.list.d and installing from them instead of going for Debian's current unstable.

* From my sources.list

Stretch repo: In this case would be "sudo apt-get install -t stable package1 package2" etc.
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

Backports: "sudo apt-get install -t stretch-backports package"
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main

I don't know if the versions found in these work for this youtube application or not. Just saying it's a less drastic jump for someone using software from Jessie to Stretch, than from Jessie to Debian unstable. Either way, just a thought. Then afterwards just comment those repo's out in sources.list-etc and "sudo apt-get update" command in terminal to update sources. IF you don't want to learn anything about apt-pinning.

I liked the look of the terminal output, so ran the command again w/o the -s, to actually go ahead and install the packages and all the depends from unstable. I'm not sure if the versions of these packages available in backports or stock repo's still work, those I installed from unstable definitely do and as expected sys resources/temps dropped like a stone, 15% vs 100+ of one full core, 50degs vs 80, load avgs drastically reduced etc.

Am happy once again, and SMplayer with smtube pretty self explanatory in how to use. It's got a big button when hovered over says "YouTube browser, F11" < Shortcut obviously. Someone can also hit another button, copy/paste URL to youtube vid-etc into SMplayer and yeppers, it plays it. Anyway ... this setup gets my seal of babble approval, me likey. big_smile

Now off to add a convenient keybind to launch SMplayer, I like the thing and want to keep it around for however long.

Update2: I set a keybind in rc.xml to launch smtube, rather than SMplayer. When hit it ... up pops smtube, allowing for ease of search of youtube content, then when one is clicked on, SMplayer automatically launches to play it anyway.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-26 09:54:11)

#2 2017-11-26 09:06:59

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: A possible way around FLASH playerXYZ to watch youtube and other such.

Obligatory after-thought babble.

Also the versions in stock repo's, depending upon which BL/Nix you're using may in fact work or working versions could be available via backports. If it makes you happy and it does work well for you, well hey, STOP THERE and enjoy it ... or not, shrugs.

Secondly, this is but one media player and one method to do this, yep ... this is gnu/Linux and as such, there are probably another 1,032 packages or methods to achieve the same thing, some mayhaps better ... some no doubt worse. That's up to x-nixer what they prefer or like to do.

Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-26 09:07:57)

#3 2017-11-26 10:12:57

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

BLizgreat! wrote:

I don't like flashplayer plugins

It should be long dead by now, but it's unfortunately still isn't. Insecure, buggy, junk, proprietary code. Good to know about alternative methods, like above with smplayer or directly downloading the videos.

#4 2017-11-26 10:29:20

ohnonot
...again
Website

I am long using the wonderful Open With... addon (on 3 different mozilla browsers, so no compayibility problems it seems), to open youtube (and many others! both video and audio!) links with mpv + youtube-dl.

i want to have the setup explanation available once and for all, so right after logging out from here I'll write it up and add it to my site: http://dt.iki.fi/youtube-openwith-mpv
should be available after one hour, latest, from posting this.

#5 2017-11-26 11:11:57

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

+1 @ Martix ... Pretty much gave up on it and found other ways. Just the system resources alone drives me nuts, the other stuff you mention, yeap ... that too. Trapped between Adobe and/or Google Inc ? Errrrr no thanks I'll take door #3 if possible.

@Ohnonot ... cool, smtube does the same, I mean appears to rely on mpv + youtube-dl too. They use a tad of RAM, mpv + smtube + smplayer but nothing insane. Still totally within bounds even for a really lowspec system of today's standards. Could manage on even 512mbs well enough. RAM isn't a problem for my old lappy anyway but watching my cpu(s) melt, that's something different.

For sure appreciate the add, wouldn't be offended in the least if this thread becomes and all things alternative to flashplayer. Esp if it's 100% confirmed and working without anyone on BL-Hydrogen not having to worry about or fiddle about with branch/repo mixing. Again ... after LONGGGGGG time first-hand experience, it's no problem and isn't rocket science by any stretch. Still though mayhaps not a topic the BL Team want's plastered all over these forums either.

Also anyone who'd be kind enough to report back any successes, failures, which branch or approach they chose to use etc. It'd still be worth hearing about and would find it interesting. Am just too lazy to bother messing around with all/everything associated with this. Took a grand total of 20-30mins, am all set with the described setup and happy.

Vll! and DFPD! = Die flashplayer ... DIE ! big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-26 11:23:18)

#6 2017-11-26 11:34:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Mod Note:

BLizgreat! wrote:

UPDATE: Less drastic, though either one fairly harmless. However if you're using BL-Hydrogen (based on Jessie) a more conservative approach would/could be adding the Stretch or Stretch backports repo's to sources.list or sources.list.d and installing from them

This advice is bad, please do not follow it.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#7 2017-11-26 11:50:33

Steve

Open with seems interesting, thanks for the link.

Ive not had any issues with pepperflash on a dual core machine running BL? Runs youtube fine and even runs it via the 32 inch flat screen tv i have hooked up to it.

#8 2017-11-26 11:54:16

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

@Hoas: On second thought, nevermind, shrugs. smile

@Steve, if happy with what you have that's great, nothing wrong with that. This thread is aimed towards folks who want to go a different route and/or strongly dislike any type of flashplayer plugin for one of many reasons. All of which easily found via search engine. Flashplayer works for many folks, whereas others prefer alternatives. No worries, as ever, gnu/Linux is definitely about choices and options. X-person should use whatever they prefer.

Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-26 12:09:45)

#9 2017-11-26 13:45:46

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Not criticism but don't like the Open with thing. Figured out how to get it setup and it was working but still WAY more system resources than the smtube/smplayer babble here, though still better than html5 was doing and looks about comparable to what I was used to seeing flashplayers doing. Unless I did something incorrectly and no matter what gotta be better than FP'er.

EDIT: Nope I was wrong uses about the same as smtube, makes sense, since it also uses mpv + youtube-dl. This gets another thanks and da babble seal of approval too. <B>. Also Ohnonot's should be a tad lighter on memory, since it wouldn't need to have SMplayer running.

Not criticism again ... though may want to be clearer on the steps involved on that webpg about setting up Open with and adding mpv to it. I just used "locate mpv" which turned up the path to it, ended being "/usr/bin/mpv" is that the right way to do it ? Noticed in the BL-hybrid there's apparently already an instance of mpv installed @ "/usr/bin/bl-mpv" too. Followed the instructions on symlinking youtube-dl to ~/bin/. One more edit: I went with ~/.bin/ so it's a .dot directory, I don't want a visible directory named bin sitting in ~/. Anyway another option nonetheless ... end babble. smile

Afterthought: Though occurs it/Open with setup may work with a wider range of sites, so could dang well be good mojo. Many media players in Nix have no issue with streaming media URL's etc. Just not sure about a super convenient way to integrating them into things, so that it's click, click ... done to get them all to open in the OS's media player. This being gnu/Linux still guessing there's no shortage of ways to do that.

General babble @Martix/others on the topic, yep, annoying. It was supposed to be dead dang it but doesn't look like it's going anywhere, any time soon. Site owners who don't want to migrate or whatever else. Personally getting to be much less tolerant of such types, poor web design, lazy site admin's etc. If they can't put any effort into having a well designed site, then do I really need to visit it or have real need of their/it's content ?

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-26 14:45:49)

#10 2017-11-26 14:28:49

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Dang it yep, more babbling.

Also speculate that adobe and/or Goog Inc may not want to see flashplayers vanish. Great opportunity for them to display ads and flashcookies this/that ... tracking users etc. Don't believe html5 affords them such opportunities. So guess not really surprising they've kept it alive and well.

#11 2017-11-26 16:59:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Also speculate that adobe and/or Goog Inc may not want to see flashplayers vanish.

Google is committed to banishing FlashPlayer from Chrom{e,ium} by the end of 2020:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/25 … -end-2020/

Which is nice  smile

Not that HTML5 is much better but at least it "works" with GNU/Linux  roll

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#12 2017-11-27 02:39:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Noticed in the BL-hybrid there's apparently already an instance of mpv installed @ "/usr/bin/bl-mpv" too.

bl-mpv is just a wrapper script that helps mpv substitute for apps like vlc - like, you can call bl-mpv without a file to play, and the window will open waiting for you to drop something there. That, and a bit of resizing - otherwise it's just regular mpv. Lets it be a a choice for bl-media-player.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#13 2017-11-27 02:54:45

stevep
MX Linux Developer

I keep SMPlayer and SMTube up to date for Jessie and Stretch in my own multimedia repo, too.  Often before Debian updates them, and make sure they are built with the Qt 4 or 5 that suits the distro release best. I also have some other eclectic app selections...the best apps, they're yuge.  smile QMPlay2 is another one that has built-in Youtube support, and also supports va-api playback on my laptop for the least cpu usage.  You can also set SMTube to use any player for playback, so it can use QMPlay2 or mpv.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

#14 2017-11-27 06:04:23

ohnonot
...again
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

I went with ~/.bin/ so it's a .dot directory, I don't want a visible directory named bin sitting in ~/.

well if "which youtube-dl" returns the correct path i guess it's ok then, otherwise i fear mpv won't be able to find it.

the Open With addon is very useful for situations when you need to watch some video, listen to some audio etc. while browsing.
otherwise of course a standalone app like smtube is lighter on resources.

#15 2017-11-27 09:55:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@stevep many thanks for your multimedia repo, which I've just added to my apt sources (jessie).

Not to derail this topic, I've posted a couple of questions elsewhere, if you have a moment: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4411

Thanks!

Last edited by johnraff (2017-11-27 09:59:33)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#16 2017-11-27 17:42:54

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

I still have browser and mpv open and I drag/drop youtube thumbs from browser to mpv or shift+drag to add to mpv playlist. Btw, html5 playback in stretch seems faster.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2017-11-27 18:04:20)

#17 2017-11-27 19:32:23

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Am retiring folks but wanted to monitor ongoing threads and whatnot, yeah the .bin was working, as long as you link the correct path to it guess nothing else matters. I do that with a lot of things just cause I don't want weirdly named directories in sight in ~/. Do the same with any web-browsers/FF running from a directory in /home = .browser, instead of having that directory in plain sight. Cluters things up.

Thanks for the info JohnRaff-san. I like Ohnonot's approach to this, going to keep them both. Means another extension installed on FF but I can live with that, it shows up as legacy, meaning doesn't appear to be supported in Quantum or newer FF versions yet. Many people here still using 52-esr and I'm still keeping FF v56.0.2 around for however long. So no biggie and not a deal breaker.

Does seem nice to be able to just run mpv directly from your browser and has to be better in terms of system resources than having any flashplayer, plus whatever other privacy/security issues FP brings with it. Hopefully avoided to good extent by using mpv. SMplayer looks to be a fairly full featured media-player, lots of options and setting in it. So for me ... will setup/keep and use both approaches in this thread. Again since this is gnu/Linux am almost 100% sure there's plenty more ways to do this floating around too. May get around to setting up youtube-viewer, remember it being a cool lil program. Can't remember but believe it was only good for YT content anyway.

Please feel free to keep this thread going folks, if you come across other good related methods/info. Vll! smile

PS, @Hoas and Goog!'s commitment to ending flash-etc by 2020. Yep, common sense tells me that gives them two years, if they keep to that, to find something just as invasive or craptastic to replace FP-xyz with. Likely integrated into the browser itself. Google Inc ( and it's extremely skilled techies are not stupid.) so am sure they've got plans and projects ongoing. When the dust settles, whether FP is buried in it or not. Will just have to wait and see how things develop.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-27 20:03:25)

#18 2017-11-27 22:39:30

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Jessie's mpv is pretty ancient, even Stretch's is aging.  Odd that such a great player is not in Debian backports, maybe BL can at least backport the current release at least for Helium. It may need a newer ffmpeg backported first, though.

Newer versions such as 0.27 in my multimedia repo, maybe Stretch's 0.23, open a blank window with a drag and drop message in it without the need for an outside wrapper script.  Works fine with Firefox Quantum and Youtube.

Last edited by stevep (2017-11-27 23:03:33)

#19 2017-11-27 23:22:27

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Btw another thanks for taking the time and trouble to host and put up packages for folks not normally available. Yeppers, you're right, mpv even in Stretch is dated. Here's output of "apt-cache policy mpv".

mpv:
  Installed: 0.27.0-2+b2
  Candidate: 0.27.0-2+b2
  Version table:
*** 0.27.0-2+b2 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.23.0-2+b2 990
        990 http://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main i386 Packages

So looks like I'm good with the one from unstable, v 23 is available in Stretch stock repo's.

Also Ohnonot, went ahead and skipped the step about symlinking youtube-dl to ~/.bin this time around and Openwith + mpv are working fine anyway. Looks like mpv had no issues finding it in it's default location/path.

#20 2017-11-28 05:23:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Means another extension installed on FF but I can live with that, it shows up as legacy, meaning doesn't appear to be supported in Quantum or newer FF versions yet.

strange, according to [this page](https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … open-with/) 7.03 is "Compatible with Firefox 57+" - maybe you have another version?

So no biggie and not a deal breaker.

there is no "deal".

#21 2017-11-28 05:45:09

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Face + Palm + me = FACEPALM*! My bad, you're right Ohnonot, isn't legacy and is now also installed on FF v57 too. Thanks again for sharing this, is definitely a convenient and cool way to go sans flashplayer. smile

* PS, Noscript made it over to v57 also.*

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-28 05:46:41)

#22 2017-11-30 04:43:14

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Nother babble update: Something cool I noticed about smtube, in it's setting you can choose to launch/open links in other media-players, such as mpv + youtube-dl. Still liking SMplayer, thing does have a lot of features, hey I'm liking it. Also did go ahead and get around to installing youtube-viewer, yep ... still a cool lil app and yet another way to get around FP'er. Kinda on par with the other methods here. It uses mpv + youtube-dl too, though a bit different and some interesting possibilities with it. Haven't explored it much as of yet. Could see using something like an alias to launch youtube-viewer with --no-video option so it only downloads audio or something. So it'd be a command-line option to make searching for and playing music on youtube(other streaming sites) easy and convenient. Either way, it's still seriously light and can use mpv as one of several media-players.

Also note, as per the youtube-dl's site, the thing supports over 1,000 streaming sites. Also to much extent haven't really gotten around to dorking with the how's of that either.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-30 04:45:05)

Board footer