You are not logged in.

#51 2017-11-24 18:31:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: SharpBang (♯!) "live" ISO image

Ranger now has preview images enabled and I have included the HashTool & UEFI shell utilities (stolen from Arch's image) to allow Secure Boot to be enabled for the ISO and UEFI variables to be changed from the GRUB menu.

The ISO is now looking a bit bloated but the functionality is unmatched (IMO).

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#52 2017-11-24 19:52:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I have included the HashTool & UEFI shell utilities (stolen from Arch's image) to allow Secure Boot to be enabled for the ISO and UEFI variables to be changed from the GRUB menu

The UEFI shells are not working on my laptop but the UEFI firmware on that device is barely functional so it may be a problem at my end, as such I am leaving the GRUB entries in place for others to test.

The HashTool seems to work, enroll loader.efi to be able to boot the ISO with Secure Boot enabled.

#53 2017-11-25 18:51:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Cleaned up the boot options and removed openbox-menu because the auto-generated version is rubbish and has duplicated and superfluous entries with some items in the wrong sub-menu  hmm

The main menu is now entirely static and uses generic categories rather than the application names, this seems to make more sense in a fixed environment.

#54 2017-11-26 11:44:13

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Changed to the stretch-backports kernel (4.13 series) for better hardware (& nftables) support.

EDIT: switched to the Liquorix kernel instead, that tracks upstream closer and should work better for desktop usage.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-11-26 12:02:47)

#55 2017-11-26 11:51:42

Steve

So this is still a WIP Hoas?

#56 2017-11-26 12:03:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ yes, very much so smile

I even changed the kernel between your post and my reply big_smile

#57 2017-11-26 12:07:49

Steve

When i used the liquorix kernel awhile ago now i noticed it used my cpu on idle more than my ram, is that still the case?

Last edited by Steve (2017-11-26 12:08:06)

#58 2017-11-26 12:09:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ No idea, I don't have time for benchmarks — do you have a link to yours?  monkey

EDIT: found some: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1601 … ERNELTES68

Anyway, the plan is to keep the image updated as the kernel version moves forward, I use it myself so it will be well maintained.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-11-26 12:13:15)

#59 2017-11-26 12:16:27

Steve

Not really a benchmark, just a readout from htop, i remember reading on idle that cpu was up around 20 percent and fluctuating on idle with just the system running and nothing else,i was using arch at the time, think it was archbang. Ill install the liquorix kernel on my current archbang setup and do a bench test another day.

#60 2017-11-26 12:23:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Steve wrote:

Ill install the liquorix kernel on my current archbang setup and do a bench test another day.

Off topic but the Liquorix kernel is an AUR package, I prefer the linux-zen package from [Extra] — that has the exact same patchset as Liquorix but it's an official Arch package  wink

#61 2017-11-30 11:50:30

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Nice ... much going on here with this project Hoasinator. Started to install liquorix the other day, been a LONG time since dorked with it. To this day, still am not real sure what all the patches etc so forth incorporated into the thing does/do. Didn't go through with it as at the time OS complained of depends gcc-7 or summin. Now I have that version but don't want to try Liquorix anymore. big_smile

Steve 20% sounds horrible, even on a really under-powered cpu, sounds like something is off. Don't exactly remember it's been so long, started a thread titled summin like Liquorix kernel the good,bad, ugly in #! forum. Possibly resurrectable via Damo's kickbutt #! forum trick. Overall Liquorix, jmo ... nah I'll pass, no doubt someone could apply the bfs, bfq patches or whatever else to a kernel and compile it. Also believe much of the supposed tweakage comes for choosing more extreme kernel .config options in the compile ie: 1000hz vs 250 or 300(< I like this one) This config CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV set to performance vs ondemand, which you can set via userspace too. Fully preemptive etc. Just other configs ramped up. Which someone can do for themselves. Either with custom compile or via userspace. Generally a wide selection of kernels in x-distro's repos too. rt=real time etc blahblah.

Would have to get ahold of it's(liquorix's) .config file and look it over to know for sure and not that interested. The guy who maintains it is too widely used to be up to anything overly nefarious. Still feel a tad uneasy about having all those unknown patches in a kernel I'd be using. That's just total speculation regardless. So am NOT saying there's anything wrong with Liquorix. Still 20% at idle, is terrible imo, no matter what.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Hoasinator'ness and this cool project. Arghhh couldn't resist babbling 2 cents about Liquorix and kernel config's in general.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-30 14:02:09)

#62 2017-11-30 16:55:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Would have to get ahold of it's(liquorix's) .config file and look it over to know for sure and not that interested

I have it here actually:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Head … orix-amd64

glasses

#63 2017-11-30 20:03:21

beaker

The siduction kernel is another that some may be interested in playing with. I have in the past used it and been happy with it's performance (and would quite often add all of the siduction sources). You would probably need to be running unstable tho'.

#64 2017-11-30 22:18:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Updated the kernel to v4.14

♯! now has the same version as Arch [Testing] (and is ahead of the package in [Core])  smile

#65 2017-12-01 00:59:35

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Thanks Hoas, been awhile, will check the thing over a bit and see which config options are set in it. Started to install it again, ran into some errors junk, just turned around and purged it. Still not interested enough to really mess with it, have a good custom kernel running and do have a Siduction kernel or two running on that BL-hybrid OS too. Think with the v4.9 series, so didn't encounter any errors or problems. Towo, the guy who maintains that distro's kernel is generally well regarded. Machinebacon liked and thought well enough of them to use them in Linuxbbq, so I take that as a vote of confidence.

When initially started studying the topic of compiling custom kernels. Yep, was one of the things done. Taking the .config files from various "performance"/desktop kernels (includ liquorix at the time) and comparing them in the how/which config options were set. Came up with one's and methods I prefer now. Mentioned a bunch of those can be altered or reset via userspace, to jack up some of them anyway and play around with em. While others are set at compile-time.

Would be interesting to benchmark the one I've got vs Liquorix but just not interested enough to put in the time involved. Did dig up that old #! Liquorix thread and review it, sheesh, it's painful even digging through 3pgs on the #! forum now. Hmmmm would be nice if somebody wrote a dang script that would automagically go through a thread, quote and copy every dang thing, arghhhh.

#66 2017-12-01 06:59:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Started to install it again

Seriously d00d, don't do that — the system has been molested most awfully and only maintains a semblance of stability thanks to the live paradigm, if I make an installer ISO you will be the first to know about it, OK?

EDIT: I'll be adding loads of firmware from sid and experimental tonight so I can get the system running properly with Ryzen & i8.

EDIT2: bloated the image with a shedload of firmware blobs, this sucker should run on anything now.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-12-01 22:50:38)

#67 2017-12-02 12:06:44

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I gave up adding Debian firmware files because there were just too many packages so I have instead copied /lib/firmware over from my Arch [testing] box to create an unholy chimera of a system that should run acceptably on even the very latest hardware.

#68 2017-12-02 14:12:46

Steve

Frankenlabs!!

giphy.gif

#69 2017-12-02 14:14:18

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ lol.

Don't try this at home kids!

#70 2017-12-03 04:06:13

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Lol .. Hoas, yeah not that interested in Liquorix. Maybe some time get up the energy to explore the patches involved. Vaguely remember it being more responsive, than stock kernels at the time, by some small measure anyway. Am happy with what I've got, think I've settled on some good all around .config options. Could also jack up certain one's via userspace settings. Again ondemand vs performance or whichever. Believe in looking through the liquorix .config file, it's actually set as ondemand in the one you posted anyway.

Which long since became my preference, the cpu should scale up or backoff, depending on current work-load. Still sounds like your/this project is coming along nicely no matter what. As soon as I get around to a formerly babbled project, getting BL-Hydrogen to multi-boot other iso's on it's usb, have like 2+gbs left on the thumb-drive and Sharpbang seems a good candidate for that drive space. big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-03 04:10:32)

#71 2017-12-03 12:45:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

ondemand vs performance or whichever

That setting is very machine-specific (and controllable from user space, as you note) so I thought it best to leave that alone for a live system.

Anyway, more minor tweaks, moved from the rather harsh Greybird theme to hhh's much nicer and more restrained Bunsen version (but with slightly greyer highlights).

The next step is consolidating the changes that have been made from a bare Debian netintall base and making a .deb package to install them all in one fell swoop  glasses

EDIT: it occurs that I haven't mentioned the screen tearing solution; if anybody suffers from that just open a terminal and use this command to kill the compositor and re-launch it with aggressive tear-control:

vsync

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-12-03 12:48:51)

#72 2017-12-04 01:24:54

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Yeah it's controllable, really don't see much reason to leave the cpu ramped up and ondemands a fine option, from what I understand it'll allow cpu(s) to scale up as needed and doesn't have hardset freq caps, so whichever makes someone happiest with the results. Assume performance would have a positive impact on well, performance, thus the reason it was named that but potentially higher temps, load avgs, battery drain etc, just doesn't sound appealing to opt for it everyday.

Sharpbang sounds like it continues coming along nicely. Cool. smile

#73 2017-12-07 19:57:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Updated to kernel 4.14-5 (from Liquorix), fresh out today smile

And apparently ahead of https://www.kernel.org/, which is weird.

#74 2017-12-10 15:19:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Up to 4.14-7 now, I might as well have used an Arch ISO image as a base at this rate roll

I've also taken the opportunity to remove my (rather tasteless) Anarchism FAQ joke link in Iceweasel and I have replaced it with this guide to Korn Shell scripting:

http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/ksh.html

It should be readable offline glasses

#75 2017-12-19 21:46:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I've removed Network-ManglerManager, to connect use this instead:

sudo grml-network

This is a dialog based front-end for /etc/network/interfaces & ifupdown that I have stolen from Grml's live image because it is way more awesome than NM.

The desktop now uses ~20MiB less on startup with fewer running processes than before.

Board footer