You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-05 16:48:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

SharpBang (♯!) "live" ISO image

SharpBang (♯!) is a live ISO image based on Debian stretch and derived from BunsenLabs. [1]

Features
  • fully updated Debian stretch base with the latest versions of all packages

• KornShell as the default shell — both mksh & ksh93 are available and can be toggled via /etc/alternatives/ksh — with bash & zsh also included, the latter runs grml's custom configuration

• {grml-,c,}debootstrap and the Arch Install Scripts allow for the installation of BunsenLabs, Debian and Arch systems from the live session

• boot options for running the image from RAM (just like Puppy Linux) along with memtest86+, FreeDOS and the UEFI shell

• all nameserver queries are handled through unbound [2]

• haveged [3] is insatalled for any crytographical needs

• whitelist firewall using nftables [4]

• trimmed package list [5] with an emphasis on command line tools

• full suite of UEFI tools to enable Secure Boot for installed systems [6]

If Secure Boot is enabled, the Linux Foundation's PreLoader will start up and chainload their HashTool which will allow the loader.efi to be enrolled as a "trusted" image.

See https://askubuntu.com/questions/594747/ … -preloader for more on this.

Download

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtw4H … xWiuUm4xdb

sha512sum:

11e8540267219f083b63ac5bf459cc0508064a3e1bf675765c5ad70dd8e38e21a04346362354d411aecae805d222c0500810c6ffaf9468fd9b7c4ebc46d4d26c

In the spirit of @corenominal, I would humbly request that nobody else uses the "SharpBang" name in their personal projects.

Scrot:
2017-11-18-202943_1920x1080_scrot.th.png

Usage

Transfer ♯! to a USB stick with the usual method:

sudo cp sharpbang-stretch.img /dev/sdX; sync

This image is not intended to be installed as a conventional system but the ISO can be run from a hard drive by copying the file to $iso_location and adding a stanza to the end of /etc/grub.d/40_custom, like this (example only, adjust to fit):

menuentry 'SharpBang' {
	loopback loop (hd0,2)/$iso_location
	linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live toram=filesystem.squashfs config fromiso=/dev/sda2/$iso_location
	initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

Once that file is saved run `sudo update-grub` to add the new menu entry.

Enjoy!

[1] There is no fork.

[2] https://www.unbound.net/

[3] http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/

[4] https://www.netfilter.org/projects/nftables/

[5] https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Head … kglist.txt

[6] https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 432#p64432

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-04-23 21:00:35)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#2 2017-11-05 20:54:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: SharpBang (♯!) "live" ISO image

Added unbound to the image and configured it as the default nameserver, this should help prevent man-in-the-middle attacks when using untrusted hotspots.

I've also switched the keyboard to en_GB, use `setxkbmap us` (or whatever) to change that on-the-fly.

EDIT: and upgraded mksh to R56b from my openSUSE repository big_smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-11-05 21:22:19)

#3 2017-11-06 07:21:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I've split this out from https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4302 'cos I was hijacking it and that just isn't cricket, old chap.

#4 2017-11-07 22:19:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I've changed the ISO image a bit more, a few simplifications under the hood and my .vimrc

scrot

Oh, and the latest version of FlashPlayer smile

And most importantly I have purged all traces of gstreamer0.1 from the system.

The original download link still applies, up to v5 now.

#5 2017-11-08 09:58:29

Steve

I shall download and have a look see on the weekend Hoas. Looks interesting. I get a good deal on the weekend for $5 from my 4g mobile service providor,it gets me 8GB to use from friday to sunday smile

#6 2017-11-11 14:23:18

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Updated the image again: added lxappearance-obconf and a dynamic menu along with 9base and anarchism and removed most of the bl-* stuff.

There are no pipemenus now so use `pkill -usr1 foo` to restart tint2 & compton.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-11-12 16:37:21)

#7 2017-11-12 18:34:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The ISO image is now fully optimised for "live" usage and it no longer resembles a stock BunsenLabs system so I have renamed the thread to remove any confusion.

I have stripped out all the superfluous GUI programs (no more VLC or filezilla) and installed a shedload of CLI utilities in their place — stuff like slurm, {io,if}top, dcfldd & iptraf-ng — along with zsh and grml's matching configuration (as seen in ArchLabs and the Arch Linux live ISO image).

Most of the BunsenLabs-specific files are no longer used (with the exception of our hack to start PulseAudio before volumeicon) and bl-exit has been replaced with obsession, thanks to thierrybo for that suggestion.

Some shortcuts have been changed: dmenu starts with the <Menu> key (and is configured directly in menu.xml), x-terminal-emulator is called with <Mod4>+<Shift>+<Return> and windows can be closed with <Mod4>+<Shift>+c

Finally, I don't think UEFI works (yet) so select CSM or "Legacy" mode from the firmware ("BIOS") options to boot the image.

#8 2017-11-12 18:58:03

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Cool and don't doubt for a sec it's now fully Hoas'erized (<-- Yes that is an actual word, I invented it and deem it to be so and so, it is so. tongue) thus kickbutt gnu/Linux.

Anyway thanks for sharing, definitely some nice touches. Like the local dns pre-config'ed thingy + etc.

Hoas ... part man ? Part machine ? Part cybernetic lifeform which has no need to sleep, eat, just continuing to amass more and more techskills and gnu/Nixish type know how ? The HOASINATOR ! big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-12 18:59:19)

#9 2017-11-12 19:42:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Thanks BLizgreat!  smile

Here is the full package list (plus brief descriptions) for the curious:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Head … kglist.txt

EDIT: ha! I forgot to remove the deborphan package — how's that for irony?

The live systems boots with ~150MiB used and fewer processes running than the default BunsenLabs setup so it may be useful for very limited hardware that struggles with our stock desktop.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-11-12 19:52:56)

#10 2017-11-12 20:00:48

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^

EDIT: ha! I forgot to remove the deborphan package — how's that for irony?

LMAO fellow nixer ! big_smile

Edit also of course: 150MBS !??!!? What are you trying to turn gnu/Linux into window$/M$ or what !?!?! Kidding around, nowadays just seeing that is amazing, though easily done with this platform.

Not trying to grand stand,

Stretch OS = 32+64bit hybrid here. Like 90mbs.
Hybrid Hydrogen + Stretch (full 32bit only) = bout 109mbs. Still will always remember on a #! Statler install, conky showed the dang thing was @ like 38mbs !!!!!

No matter am sure it's a great specimen of gnu/Linux as doubting Hoas would have it any other way, much less share it, if he didn't know it was good stuff, 150mbs, almost 100% sure rock solid and feature rich Os. Still a rarity in 2017 and would have to blaze on almost anything installed to. VlHoas! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-12 20:09:14)

#11 2017-11-12 20:09:48

eight.bit.al

DLing now. Thinking this might be good for a live banking/Paypal/etc session.

8bit

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
    - H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

#12 2017-11-12 20:10:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Stretch OS = 32+64bit hybrid here. Like 90mbs.
Hybrid Hydrogen + Stretch = bout 109mbs.

Yes, the system could certainly be stripped down further but I wanted it to be able to use gvfs to mount pretty much anything, along with a few other conveniences that bloat the box out, so I have preferred (limited) functionality over minimalism for this image.

#13 2017-11-12 20:12:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

Thinking this might be good for a live banking/Paypal/etc session

Hopefully so, FlashPlayer is working and the packages are all the latest versions (for Debian oldstable) as of today and so include all recent security fixes, such as for the wpa_supplicant vulnerability.

I will keep the image updated as much as possible.

#14 2017-11-12 20:17:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

would have to blaze on almost anything installed to

Please _do not_ use this image to install a system.

I'm pretty sure that I have subtly broken part of it so that any attempted installation should fail, I haven't managed to remove the GRUB entries for the installer yet but they will go at some point.

#15 2017-11-12 20:28:11

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Thanks, ever thoughtful Hoas and pretty much top quality in terms of you looking out for fellow nixers. aka: Commendable behavior.

Also keep in mind, I tend to know a bit of what I'm doing by this point. So no worries and also one of the MANY GREAT things about tech. Show a lil common sense, ie: Virtual-machine, testing partition etc etc endlessly and the reset button is ever only a push away.

Not going to try it cause I'm lazy and have other complications going on here. Adding inconvenience and obstacles to any tech adventures I may be wanting to undertake. Though don't doubt for a sec it's kickbutt top shelf gnu/Linux.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-12 20:29:22)

#16 2017-11-12 20:54:03

eight.bit.al

♯!

8bit

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
    - Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

#17 2017-11-12 21:13:57

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Ummmm, could you possibly elaborate as to the meaning of that ? Perhaps if and who it's directed towards etc.

Many of my opinions aren't opinions, certainly aren't formed on nothing. Aka: Based on hard facts and generally ample real life experience, so less opinions than a compilation of solid facts. Which yep, those are the types I also like to interact with in any meaningful way, shrugs.

Gotta love people who post vague quotes, in whatever context, often enough selectively quoting something they feel supports their ignorant views in a given situation. aka: Taking what was said totally out of context to support said views.

Some braindead Fudinista's Aka: Linus Torvalds said Systemd is the worst thing ever ... see here's (part) of the stuff he said. Hmmmm ... ok google it, turn up what he actually said about it. That being him saying I'm/he's using systemd on several of his own main systems. big_smile

Again ... if you have even the slightest, tiniest piece of sense, could dd or whatever this fine piece of software Hoas made available and have zero problems getting rid of it in a couple mins if didn't like it for any reason, without the slightest permanent harm befalling you or your system.

Now if you are a person lacking that or those abilities, then yep, 100% heed the considerate and almost mandatory warning Hoas gave. Either way ... no worries.

@8.bit no harm, no foul. Esp if that wasn't directed towards me. Though yep, most often I take PAINS to compile knowledge. So in the end, I don't end up thinking I know something but know, what I know.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-12 21:16:43)

#18 2017-11-12 21:22:47

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Erm, eight.bit.al has been adding (some rather wonderful) quotes to every post he makes and each one is different, I'm pretty sure they are not aimed at anybody in particular.

I would venture that the post refers to the name I have chosen — the "#" is sometimes called a sharp symbol and the "!" symbol is called a "bang" (by some) and in fact "shebang" is a contraction of "sharp-bang", which was the original usage.

#19 2017-11-12 21:29:56

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

No worries Hoas, again, it's cool to see you contributing whichever pet projects you've got going. Am certain it's good stuff and something I'd like. Though as you already ( sheesh ... know better than I do since ya left me in the dust in terms of techfu skills, long ago. big_smile )

Gotten to the point, where I just can't beat roll your own, as it's simple logic provided you have some measure of skill, NOBODY can create a gnu/Linux OS's that meets x-nixers preferences like they can themselves.

Still like watching what's out there and potentially learning something cool from it. Support BL and others too.

@8.bit again, no offense meant. Just forever been annoyed with what was hinted at in that pointless post above. Since I was a kid, been boggled by so many people taking even amazing quotes by whichever person and then twisting it's intent for whatever (OBVIOUSLY) crappy agenda they had going. That's not directed towards you. Just an observation in general.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-12 21:32:35)

#20 2017-11-12 23:04:14

eight.bit.al

Nothing was meant by anything I've posted towards anyone. Nothing to see folks, move along.

8bit

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    - Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

#21 2017-11-12 23:11:32

eight.bit.al

I like the name.

#! - Crunchbang
♯!  - Sharpbang

I though the name was imaginative, Nothing more.

Edit:
No one had expressed the name Sharpbang in it's symbolic form, which I took the liberty to do; the point of my pointless post.

8bit

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
    - Golda Meir (1898-1978) to a visiting diplomat

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2017-11-13 01:49:24)

#22 2017-11-13 01:46:41

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Also pointless dorkage, mention 150mbs is but a tiny fraction of even dated hardware's capabilities now. Sometimes even kick myself for the resource miserage and uber minimalist I tend to be. Someone could likely run Hoas's current project on a friggin calculator and get dang fine results.

Hmmmmm, 4gbs on this dinosaur, why not live a little ? Resource miser says, why live a lil ???? What have you lost your friggin mind, if it doesn't do something useful, doesn't pull it's weight, then it doesn't eat .... resources !!! While same time am sure all things Hoasinators latest creation does do something useful, thus justifies it's existance anyway. With 150mbs and whatever processor etc overhead being a drop in the bucket, even for much 8yr old hardware and increasingly unheard of in this day and age.

Soooooo glad people like Hoas and folks like the BL crowd remain a presence and active niche in the Nixsphere though. Ya'll rock man !!!!

Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-11-13 01:47:49)

#23 2017-11-13 09:24:01

Steve

I downloaded that first iso, should i download again Hoas? Id only be checking it out in a virtualbox.

#24 2017-11-13 20:37:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Steve wrote:

I downloaded that first iso, should i download again Hoas?

Oh yes, I'm up to version 9.something now big_smile

Sorry but I like to fiddle glasses

Speaking of which...

SharpBang-stretch is now here!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtw4H … xWiuUm4xdb

I've updated the image to a Debian stretch base (and added ponysay) and surprisingly it all seems to work.

This can now be considered the development branch of ♯!

I will change the link in the OP when it makes release status.

#25 2017-11-13 21:55:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Another quick update, added ps_mem & nftables.

The "workstation" ruleset is applied which is a whitelist firewall, ports 22, 80 & 443 are closed but can be opened by editing /etc/nftables.conf and un-commenting the relevant line then running:

sudo systemctl restart nftables

Board footer