You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-10 09:01:13

Snap

How to remove libsystemd0

Warning: this method is unsupported by the BunsenLabs developers and may break your system.

Split from https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4257 -HoaS

As HoaS pointed out `systemd-shim` is un-mantained. Here's another dirty method I've been using for a while without any issues. Since BL is tracking Stable it's a much safer bet than what I'm doing (any antix user would agree); tracking a moving target (Sid) is always risky. But as I've said, it worked pretty smooth so far even on Sid.

The antix guys compile their packages without `systemd` dependency or `libsystemd0` links. So there's no need for the (currently unsupported) `systemd-shim` altogether. Thus, `libsystemd0` can be purged.

This is how I did it.

### Step 1:

Follow what HoaS said in the OT, but leaving `systemd-shim` out.

### Step 2:

Add the antix repos to your sources list.

22 March 2017

New antiX repositories

antiX is now using these repositories. The existing/old ones will still work, but the new ones will be the default for antiX-17 stretch.

#Use with Debian Stable/stretch repositories. Set as default for antiX-17. Note new repos
deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/stretch stretch main nosystemd

#Use with Debian Testing repositories.
#deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/testing testing main nosystemd

#Use with Debian Sid repositories.
#deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/sid sid main nosystemd

Hopefully, at some point, the mirrors will pick up the new stretch one.

anticapitalista, 22 March 2017, Thessaloniki

If you only want the `nosystemd` packages (and not any of the antix "goodies"), thus getting the rest of the packages from the Debian repos, leave `main` away.

You'll need to add the `antix-archive-keyring`:

https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt

and once done update the repos.

### Step 3:

Check the packages depending on `libsystemd0` by simulating a purge

WARNING: This would get a truckload of packages to be removed and deal with. Always a tricky mess! Carefully check all of them and search for the antix alternative in advance (and better make a list of them) prior to purge anything... then proceed to bork your system.

Here's a simple example of this:

sudo apt-get purge -s libsystemd0*
[sudo] password for paco: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libsystemd0* openssh-server*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 20 not upgraded.
Purg openssh-server [1:7.6p1-2]
Purg libsystemd0 [234-3]

In this particular example a single package (`openssh-server`) will be removed along with `libsystemd0`. But depending on your own system the list would be scarly huge. Again, take good note of anything being removed to install it again from antix.

Now doble check:

apt-cache policy openssh-server
openssh-server:
  Installed: 1:7.6p1-2
  Candidate: 1:7.6p1-2
  Version table:
 *** 1:7.6p1-2 500
        500 [url]https://debian.redimadrid.es/debian[/url] unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:7.6p1-1.0nosystemd1 500
        500 [url]http://repo.antixlinux.com/sid[/url] sid/nosystemd amd64 Packages

We have the alternative package present. Good to go. Do this for every single package listed.

As you can see both repos are pinned the same, so anything needing systemd (from Debian) will be picked from antix instead.

### Step 4:

Cross your fingers and purge:

sudo apt-get purge libsystemd0*

### Step 5:

Install anything removed in the process. Reboot and done.

### Final notes

Doing this on a very populated (bloated) system can be a real mess, and perhaps something to avoid. But doing it on a freshly small installed system specially from a net install, antix-core, linux-BBQ, etc... This procedure is easy-peasy.

This should work with the Devuan repos too, but I've never bothered to test it.

Now, don't do this at home! You've been warned.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-10-10 16:58:31)

#2 2017-10-10 16:19:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: How to remove libsystemd0

Thanks for the guide Snap, I have split this out into it's own thread so that it can be found more easily, hope you don't mind.

I do have to ask though...

Snap wrote:

`libsystemd0` can be purged

Why do you want to do this?

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2017-10-10 16:59:31

Nili
Website

Snap wrote:

This should work with the Devuan repos too, but I've never bothered to test it.

My Devuan copy (netinst with none tasksel selected) didn't have a "libsystemd0" installed.

nili ~ $ apt-cache policy libsystemd0
libsystemd0:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 215-17+deb8u7
  Version table:
     215-17+deb8u7 0
        500 http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie/main i386 Packages
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/merged/ jessie/main i386 Packages
nili ~ $

But even Devuan it's not 100% pure systemd free, This command find many systemd folders from what i read on a Devuan Thread I have not seen any positive answer if i take it out manually i am completely saved. So i haven't touched them. Although I do not want to be there at all.

dpkg -l | awk '$1=="ii" {print $2}' | xargs -rn1 -I+ sh -c "dpkg -L + | grep --label=+ -Hw systemd" > systemd-references.txt

In my opinion
The only way to be saved totally from systemd is to get a system that doesn't support it.
BSD, Slackware, Alpine, Crux etc...
We better focus our energy on a systemd free distro and learn from it.

Good luck to those who will try it! I just wanted to inform that Devuan doesn't have a "libsystemd0" on my copy.

Devuan // CWM
Fedora // GNOME

#4 2017-10-11 07:19:01

Snap

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Thanks for the guide Snap, I have split this out into it's own thread so that it can be found more easily, hope you don't mind.

I do have to ask though...

Snap wrote:

`libsystemd0` can be purged

Why do you want to do this?

Thanks, HoaS. Totally fine by me wink

Regarding the purge of `libsystemd0`, you're right. No harm in keeping it onboard, and it might have a "plus"(?): allowing to use mixed packages with and without systemd dependency from both repos... Though that's an ugly mix IMHO.

The point of this method is fully going without systemd. So, if choosing the antix no-systemd compiled packages route, `libsystemd0` renders as a sort of useless leftover.

#5 2017-10-11 07:39:23

Snap

@Nili: Thanks for your input. I'm not very up-to-date on how Devuan is evolving. Just check it from time to time, but still at this point in time, Ceres is not too ready for prime time.

In my opinion
The only way to be saved totally from systemd is to get a system that doesn't support it.
BSD, Slackware, Alpine, Crux etc...

Agreed. Void is another nice option. But then there's apt. If you want to roll, apt and friends are the safest bet I've found so far. That's why I still stick to Debian.

In my own experience the difference of other package managers compared with Sid & apt (and friends), is that with other rolling distros you dist-upgrade (or wathever it's called by those distros) breakes may happen and then you have to find a way to fix them. With apt, apt-listbugs, etc... One normally can avoid any breakage. I haven't any since I switched to Sid more than two years ago. Otherwise I would be using Void. I've seriously tried to switch to a systemd free distro, but got tired to fix stuff after upgrading. So de-systemdized Debian it is. wink

BSDs are hugely tempting, but not on my hardware... sigh..

Last edited by Snap (2017-10-11 07:40:31)

#6 2017-10-11 15:01:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Snap wrote:

If you want to roll, apt and friends are the safest bet I've found so far

From personal experience, OpenBSD-current is *very* reliable — I've been running & updating it almost daily since the 5.6 release and it just doesn't seem to break cool

By way of comparison, I've lost about 3 Arch systems in that same time frame cry

In fairness though I do tweak Linux a lot more than OpenBSD, which I try to leave as stock as possible, so that probably explains (some of) the differences.

EDIT: Ha! Just read the last line in your post above — sorry!  ops

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-10-11 15:14:27)

#7 2017-10-11 19:48:28

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I'm managing reasonably well with leaving libsystemd0 in place and using (variant) from http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.p … an_Stretch also seems to be fully functional for Buster+LXQt using their buster repo.

They seem of the opinion libsystemd0 is harmless by itself.

Just don't ask about the mess trying to get Helium-Dev onto a no-systemd Buster install, I'd need to invest some time.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#8 2017-10-11 20:23:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Helium-Dev onto a [...] Buster install

Helium-dev is the name given to our Debian stretch-based BunsenLabs (development) version, a buster-based BunsenLabs system would be called Lithium-dev.

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 065#p54065

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-10-11 20:23:51)

#9 2017-10-11 20:26:05

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Indeed it would, but the script isn't.. any revised version I made and subsequently saved might be tongue

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#10 2017-10-12 16:09:34

agaida

@Head_on_a_stick is right - why one want to remove libsystemd0 - it is just the interface and do no harm. That means: Packages are prepared to communicate over this interface, nothing more. So if some alternative implementations of several systemd things come up they could communicate over this interface. And this could be considered as a good™ thing.

Last edited by agaida (2017-10-12 16:10:06)

#11 2017-10-13 09:49:02

cpoakes

<rant>Please. Stop. Beating. This. Dead. Horse. The bloody pulp doesn't even resemble a horse anymore. Utilizing systemd or not has been argued ad infinitum. This post is a how to and not a why or why not to. Nothing to add about removing libsystemd0 or experience with this process? Then please use another thread to express your philosophical views.</rant>

Last edited by cpoakes (2017-10-13 09:50:26)

#12 2017-10-13 10:22:30

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Method two: Install Gentoo, pick Open-Rc, avoid all the dependency issues.  Doubt there's even that much time difference between all the compiling vs all the troubleshooting and research on reasonably modern hardware.

That said I'm running Debian without (the rest of) systemd, because I prefer it, and because it's a learning process, but I think I'm learning enough without pulling libsystemd0 off as well.  I'm not in any huge rush to test it against the angband.pl (kilobyte) repos.

Doesn't look promising against the nosystemd repo I'm using, my entire DE & all of X11 goes in a simulation on buster.

Board footer