You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-30 13:06:46

ShieldedTulip

Coding Idiot in need of plain simple and to the point tips

Coding Idiot (is how I describe myself).

I need plain simple and to the point coding tips. Know nearly nothing about how, where or when things are done.

I've "discovered" Bunsenlabs about three days ago because my old laptop no longer wants to work with Ubuntu and Lubuntu wouldn't allow Gimp to work properly. Spent a night installing it (Bunsenlabs), which to tell the truth was pretty easy, all I did was press 'Y' every time I was asked to do it. 

Only thing I know/remember from computer and coding classes - sudo apt-get install - how to format a hard-drive and how to install a new OS. Today I discovered how to edit a couple of lines in tint2 (1st victory - big_smile) and then my brain froze.

I'm hoping that around here I'll find simple help, simple like my knowledge. It's frustrating when you ask a how to question and people just assume that you know where to find and how to use things...

I'm not kidding when I say I am a coding idiot, so...

Here goes my first question: How do I change little things like the colour of the right-hand icons on my taskbar? You know... the sound, network, battery, etc. icons.

Thanks in advance.

Coding Idiot (is how I describe myself) in need of plain simple and to the point coding tips. Know nearly nothing about how, where or when things are done.
Only thing I know/remember from coding classes - sudo apt-get install - today discovered how to edit a couple of lines in tint2 (1st victory - ;D) and then my brain froze.
Hoping that around here I'll find simple help, simple like my knowledge.

#2 2017-09-30 14:00:45

Steve

Re: Coding Idiot in need of plain simple and to the point tips

Interesting question on changing the systray icons, i would perhaps think you would need to be able to fiddle about with hardcoded icon settings for that?

Anyhow welcome ST

#3 2017-09-30 14:22:04

ShieldedTulip

I have no idea? tongue Really, if someone tells me, find this file on this folder and change this like like this, I'll be able to do it. Otherwise...

Let's just say I can't even find the etc folder/directory/whatever it is. Was trying to play with conky and had to give it up because of that.

Coding Idiot (is how I describe myself) in need of plain simple and to the point coding tips. Know nearly nothing about how, where or when things are done.
Only thing I know/remember from coding classes - sudo apt-get install - today discovered how to edit a couple of lines in tint2 (1st victory - ;D) and then my brain froze.

#4 2017-09-30 14:31:23

ShieldedTulip

This is what I was able to change, not much but I felt clever big_smile

# Each launcher_item_app must be a full path to a .desktop file
# this will have to be made:
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/bl-www-browser.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/bl-file-manager.desktop
#launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/bl-text-editor.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop
launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-writer.desktop

launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/bl-terminal-emulator.desktop

Last edited by ShieldedTulip (2017-09-30 14:32:18)

#5 2017-09-30 14:40:04

ShieldedTulip

Think I found it, I think...

is there a way to add a line for icon colour to this?

# System Tray
systray = 1
systray_padding = 4 2 3
systray_sort = right2left
systray_background_id = 0
systray_icon_size = 24
systray_icon_asb = 100 0 0

#6 2017-09-30 14:50:05

ShieldedTulip

HAH!!! big_smile Did it!

# System Tray
systray = 1
systray_padding = 4 2 3
systray_sort = right2left
systray_background_id = 0
#systray_font_color = #b5b5b5 100
systray_icon_size = 24
systray_icon_asb = 100 1 100

#7 2017-09-30 15:42:00

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

There is a more complicated way. An example: Let's change e.g. clipit in the system tray (with that icon that reminds someone the old neurotic paperclip from Excel) and let's say the Papirus icon theme is in use. You go to /usr/share/icons/Papirus.

In tint2 there is the line "systray_icon_size = 24", so you check the 24x24 directory and there is the "panel" folder. Is there in /usr/share/icons/Papirus/24x24/panel something with clipit?

Yep, it's called clipit-trayicon-panel.svg -> This might be the one used by the systray. If you look at it closer, you will realize: That's actually a symlink. It goes to diodon-panel.svg in the same folder. diodon-panel.svg is also a symlink, which goes to the clipboard.svg file in the same folder. clipboard.svg is not a symlink, but finally a graphic file.

You open that clipboard.svg file with whatever you like to change it (consider that it's a vector graphic and it's good to make a backup file first). When you overwrite this clipboard.svg (e.g. I made an inverted - black - version of it, saved as clipboard.png, renamed as clipboard.svg and replaced the original clipboard.svg in that folder), the icon in the systray will be changed too.
clipitchanged.png

Last edited by martix (2017-09-30 15:42:48)

#8 2017-09-30 15:48:34

ShieldedTulip

Errrr tongue I think you might have been speaking a language that is not English...

Definitely!

#9 2017-09-30 19:55:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Hi SheildedTulip and congratulations on your success cool

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#10 2017-09-30 22:11:24

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

I'm sorry if it sounds a bit complicated. Actually it's quite simple: Figure out which file is used by the system tray (it's probably somewhere in one of the icon theme directories) and replace it - that's what it was about.

However there is one more option: Open Menu/Preferences/Tint2/Edit Tint2s/Tint2 Config GUI - right click on the tint2 panel in use (probably the first one) and choose "Edit theme..." there.

It opens the "Properties" window and there is a "Backgrounds" and "System tray" section. You can change the systray background color there, also icon opacity, icon size, etc. -> So you just have to click around until you get what you like in the systray.

This may sound more like English then...   big_smile  cool  glasses

#11 2017-10-01 06:12:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

ShieldedTulip wrote:

Errrr tongue I think you might have been speaking a language that is not English...

no, they didn't.

it will all become clear when you open the file in question in geany (bl-text-editor) and try to find the lines martix talks about.

as a general advice, imo, a good lightweight coding editor (plain text with syntax highlighting) really, really helps with the "my brain just shut off" effect.
i know that feeling, and i know it helps.
same goes for a beautiful and pleasant terminal (color scheme, font).

browse the forums, inspiration (brain massage) awaits!

Last edited by ohnonot (2017-10-01 06:12:30)

#12 2017-10-01 13:28:01

ShieldedTulip

@Martix and @ohnonot Thank you.

I WILL try every advice and hint.
It was the mention Steve made about the Systray that got me to solve my first little "problem" I had never heard about a Systray before.

Your answers and suggestions are surely an incentive to keep going.

@Head_on_a_stick thank you ^_^ I felt so smart when I got it to work big_smile

This forum seems very friendly and encouraging. Thank you (y)

Between trying to keep an average of 1000 words per day, keep going at my regular job, creating detailed maps on Gimp, and fiddling with code because I can't stand an ugly work environment and need certain shortcuts to be easy and quick to find... My brain does go a bit... foggy, to say the least.

But I do enjoy solving a good mystery! And coding is just that, at least to me, a great mystery.

So every little hint helps a great deal.

#13 2017-10-01 13:47:36

Steve

Aint linux fun ST wink

#14 2017-10-01 15:42:14

ShieldedTulip

Definitely wink

You get so involved in whatever problem you are trying to solve, that the next time you look at the clock, expecting to see 10am, you see 5pm and you forgot to have lunch big_smile

On the other hand... when you finally solve something you feel so great you couldn't care less about missing a meal or three wink

Board footer