You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-05 08:27:04

ghorvath

Prefer 5GHz band over 2.4GHz or prioritize among wifi connections

Is there any way I can make my laptop prefer 5GHz connections compared to 2.4GHz connections? Or, can I prioritize between wifi connections that are all set up to connect automatically? E.g. if laptop sees mySSID and mySSID_5G, then it should prefer the 5G.

I am using Deuterium on a Samsung Series 9 NP900X3C.

(I know I could make it not automatically connect to the 2.4 GHz network, but I want to do it the proper way.)

As a related issue, sometimes the laptop does noteven  see the 5GHz band (not even from very close range), only the 2.4 GHz, but sometimes it does see both bands. Any ideas on this problem?

#2 2017-08-05 12:35:16

Steve

Re: Prefer 5GHz band over 2.4GHz or prioritize among wifi connections

Found this article here: https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats- … d-you-use/

Possible scenario?

Selectable dual-band. A selectable dual-band router offers a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, but you can only use one at a time. You actually have to use a switch to tell it the band you want to use.
Simultaneous dual-band. A simultaneous dual-brand router broadcasts separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks at the same time, giving you two Wi-Fi networks that you can choose from when you set up a device. Some router brands also let you assign the same SSID to the two bands so that devices only see a single network—even though both are still operational. These tend to be a bit more expensive than selectable dual-band routers, but not by much. The advantages of having both bands operating simultaneously usually outweigh the cost difference.

#3 2017-08-05 19:11:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Prefer 5GHz band over 2.4GHz or prioritize among wifi connections

Try

sudo iw dev wlan0 set freq 5260

Change 5260 to the exact frequency needed, of course.

If this works, use a udev rule to set it at every boot:

# /etc/udev/rules.d/70-set-wifi-freq.rules

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", KERNEL=="wlan*", RUN+="/sbin/iw dev %k set freq 5260"

EDIT: apparently this can be done through NetworkManager (without using root commands or editing files in /etc):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/183525/ … ve-2-4-ghz

That may be preferred.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-08-05 19:13:05)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Board footer