You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-25 12:05:08

AwlsomeAlex

User Repository How-To Question

I don't know if this belongs here, but this question goes pretty deep into the code, but how did bunsenlabs manage to create a custom repository on a webserver??? I am a fellow linux hacker myself, and I am currently working on my own Linux Remix, but I want to be completely independent from the distribution I forked (Ubuntu/Debian) starting with my own repositories (not local, online) so my question is how did you create yours?

Thanks and goodluck,
- AwlsomeAlex (StarLinux)

Last edited by AwlsomeAlex (2015-10-25 12:05:50)

#2 2015-10-25 14:05:45

twoion
ほやほや

Re: User Repository How-To Question

Here is HowToSetupADebianRepository on the Debian wiki. It lists a lot of tools which automate parts of setting up and maintaining a Debian repository directory hierarchy, but they all have different obvious or subtle flaws in terms of simplicity, functional completeness and workflow.

What upstream Debian uses is dak, which has absolutely NO comprehensive documentation and can't possibly be used correctly without spending months on investigating things. It's also overengineered for our humble, small repository (SQL backend, FTP master and other user roles and whatnot).

After testing all the tools listed on the Debian wiki page, I have settled with reprepro. It's IMHO the best tool for handling small to medium-sized repositories: Good documentation (one big man page), no obvious bugs (haven't encountered any so far), automated workflow (uploading + signing), simple configuration, intuitive CLI. It's what I recommend.

I build packages using pbuilder.

That's all.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#3 2015-10-25 14:11:04

twoion
ほやほや

One extra remark regarding the online/offline distinction: 'Online' just means pointing a webserver at the repository's directory hierarchy. You can use reprepro to maintain an 'offline' repository too.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#4 2015-10-25 18:27:11

AwlsomeAlex

twoion wrote:

One extra remark regarding the online/offline distinction: 'Online' just means pointing a webserver at the repository's directory hierarchy. You can use reprepro to maintain an 'offline' repository too.

I understand how to manage an Offline Repository, but how do you manage to point it online? Also, does it require simply a webserver, or a VPS/Dedicated Server?

Last edited by AwlsomeAlex (2015-10-25 18:28:25)

#5 2015-10-25 21:24:26

AwlsomeAlex

AwlsomeAlex wrote:
twoion wrote:

I understand how to manage an Offline Repository, but how do you manage to point it online? Also, does it require simply a webserver, or a VPS/Dedicated Server?

So what you mean is just move the offline directory to an online webserver, and just have the repository info pointing there? For example, "example.com/repository"

Board footer