You are not logged in.

#351 2019-11-20 15:32:28

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: Your views/experiences with web browsers fellow nixers ? :)

^LOL/LMAO Sector! big_smile

Ahhhh, would like to talk to Mozilla about various junk for real. Though mentioned somewhere here, think one of open sources greatest strengths is also a greatest weakness. Anything an open source project implements is easily reviewed by people who are competing for profit. Which yep, means anything an open source project, whatever it does, which at the time may be better, Corps like Google Inc can poke and prod at until they figure out a way to use it too or in Google's case make it even better. Because they could buy and sell Mozilla out of their petty cash jar and not miss whatever they'd spent.

Such organizations can hire the best developers and skilled people in the world, literally, Mozilla can't compete with that. Plus all the other influence and advantages da mighty Goog can bring to bear. Could put at the top of every SERP(search engines results pages(s.) They can have stuff saying how great Chrome is, how this new thing or feature works so great and blahblahblah. On gmail, on Youtube on the gazillion other things they own and can use for free. Think Mozilla and FF are still better but it's no shocker Google is kicking all heel outta of them in the browser wars, shrugs.

Again ... in the interest of keeping things fair, Chrome/ium can be tweaked too. Never devoted much effort to learning about them. Been using Firefox forever though and yep, MUCH TIME devoted to learning how to optimize all hades out of it. In keeping it real will never bother messing with the other major browsers to the same extent. Why ? Firefox is fricken awesome and could still dork with plenty of stuff to get it running better. Only real motivation behind trying to get into Chrome/ium dorking at all, is I know sooner or later I'll want to do cross-browser testing and with almost 70%(on desktop anyway, 80% or so overall, mobile etc etc)of the browser share not taking Chrome/ium users into account would be retarded. However there's no way I'll run those horrid resource smashing POS's as is in out-of-box condition. Chrome tried to melt my dual-core and was gobbling down RAM like a fat guy at an all you can eat buffet !!! hmm

Also as with all the free mass promotion Google has at it's finger tips, they can also make sure any issue or bump in the road Mozilla has/makes, makes front page interwebz news EVERYWHERE too ! Etc etc blahblah more blah, frick it. Still out-of-box Chrome is terrible, screw Chrome !

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 15:43:16)

#352 2019-11-20 15:40:03

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Errrrrr ... now if ya'll will excuse me I have a movie paused on youtube, lmao but hey, at least I'm watching it on a good web browser, NOT CHROME. big_smile

#353 2019-11-20 19:44:19

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

BLizgreat! wrote:

Errrrrr ... now if ya'll will excuse me I have a movie paused on youtube, lmao but hey, at least I'm watching it on a good web browser, NOT CHROME. big_smile

1. I accomplished my goal to get at a minimum chuckle out of you.

2. The quote above: YES!  Give the man a CIGAAAAAR!  A Cuban preferably!

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#354 2019-11-20 20:37:13

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Ah heel Sector, gotten many a chuckle and da smile hanging out with you in forums my friend. Which again, fellows ya'll have really added a bunch of cool and useful discussion to this thing. smile

Now this FF tip is kinda oddball, even for me. Running 32bit FF on a 64bit install (via either multiarch, such as adding the i386 architecture to your install or the way I'd go about it just downloading the latest 32bit version of FF from Mozilla and using it the same way I always have. Am lazy, so running 64b FF on any 64bit OS's. Idea here is to compare in terms of system overhead. Could be some small speed hit, imo ... should/would be barely noticeable, while the RAM(cpu)overhead should be better. I'm not interested enough to compare them at the moment but a weird thought for someone trying to eek as much as possible out of some dated hardware, while still opting for 64bit Bunsenlabs gnu/Nix etc.

If curiosity gets the better of me and I do side-by-side test the things (32b/64b) will try to post results here regardless. Try doing this with Chrome, oh yeah ... that's right they dropped support for 32bit users.

Vll! and VlFF! (again), screw Chrome! (Again.) big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-20 21:06:42)

Board footer