You are not logged in.

#251 2017-12-06 02:13:58

Sun For Miles

Re: Your views/experiences with web browsers fellow nixers ? :)

johnraff wrote:

according to StartPage:

StartPage wrote:

For Firefox Quantum (v 57.0.1), the default search engine is aggressively changed to Google during update, disregarding your previous settings.

Not true in my case. It looks like StartPage plugin coding error to me without any inspection of the problem. The default engine for me after the upgrade is still DuckDuckGo in new tab, search and address bar. Upgrade didn't mess with manually turned off "safebrowsing" options as well. Those were my main degoogling setting in FF and I didn't bother to check if other things related to rendering web pages kept their 1s and 0s, since everything seems to be in order.

The only negative thing I've noticed with Quantum before upgrade from 57.0.0 to 57.0.1 was incredible memory leak in one case where a tab ate 3GB of RAM for no apparent reason. Cba to troubleshoot and find true cause of that, I'm just pointing fingers at NoScript with popcorns in my mouth.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#252 2017-12-06 08:25:14

ohnonot
...again
Website

I have a deep suspicion towards all chromium clones, esp. if they're trying to hop on the "we're morally superior because we run on linux" train.
that certainly goes for vivaldi, who, it seems, did some pro-forma open-sourcing of their code (idk what the current status is; it was first closed source, then partly open-sourced, but no git repo or anything like it).
but it seems i might be willing to revise my position on that.
one of the devs is active on linuxquestions, seems to be using slackware himself.
they just rolled out an experimental arm build.
any current info on their open-source status? is it possible to obtain a compilable source package?

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#253 2017-12-06 22:44:38

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Thanks for all the interesting adds fellas. Johnsan, believe all of them receive some development efforts. Always just assumed it can't be on par with the biggies in browserage though, not in terms of effort, skills or testing, that's just an assumption and/or reasonable conclusion. Not anything concrete and it's been a long time since bothered messing with any of the fringe browsers. In side-by-side they always came up short anyway.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-06 22:45:27)

#254 2017-12-07 00:55:34

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

johnraff wrote:

These "minority" browsers like Vivaldi, PaleMoon, Midori... are they kept up to date with all the security upgrades that Firefox and Chrom{e,ium} get?

Regarding Jessie it was in the release notes that - because of security reasons -: "For general web browser use we recommend Iceweasel or Chromium." I guess it has not changed much, even if the developers behind each browser make security upgrades from time to time.

#255 2017-12-07 02:12:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Indeed. The web browser is perhaps the one thing on a system that needs to be as secure as possible, considering all the places it might go...

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#256 2017-12-08 11:12:59

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Just checking in fellows of course brought along some more FF babble too. Yep, still approving of this upping the number of content processes in Quantum. Seemed good mojo for sure, was more responsive. Mentioned some minor lag while opening many tabs with the right click, open in new tab, it'd somewhat hesitate as the number climbed. This is abated to an extent after enabling more of them/content things.

Also am starting to get a sneaking suspicion that I may've been falsely attributing the hesitation to Quantum, as am starting to dork around with the default power governor on my nixiness more and getting more familiar with ondemand. Thinking yes, it's defaults I've always just assumed would be fine and mostly are (OS's running great), though have been holding this old laptop back. After installing cpufreq-utils and running some cli with it, noticed it's been keeping my cpu(s) freqs WAY down, a good majority of the time. So had to step up a bunch of configs for it, as having a system capable of 4.3ghz between the 2 cores but is being held back to 2.x most the time, even though am on AC-cord pretty much always, doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyway, long babbling way of saying, if cpu(s) would've been scaling up the way they should've, that lag in Quantum likely wouldnt've been there, theory atm. Not overall sure about all this junk either, so gonna shut it.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-08 11:34:55)

#257 2017-12-08 23:21:33

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Look at this: Brave browser is implementing some kind of content-maker-reward system, which can be tested by downloading the browser and turning this feature on.

#258 2017-12-09 02:40:40

Steve

I have been reading up on various firefox tweaks/privacy etc today here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Privacy

Disable WebRTC is a good one if you dont need it... https://www.privacytools.io/webrtc.html

#259 2017-12-15 10:16:02

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

FF babble update:

Mentioned up there, you can increase or lower the number of content processes in this new multiprocess Firefox thing and the about:config option relevant to it. Typing this cause noticed in FF v 56.0.2 you have the option of increasing them in the same way in about:preferences too. Though the default is 1 content process in that version.

Made me notice with Quantum, someone could presumably lower it to only 1 as well. Haven't messed with lowering it, have been going the other way and raising it to 6 vs default of 4. As noted think it made things a bit smoother/faster and as advertised slightly heavier in terms of RAM and/or cpu, shrugs. Overall have yet to really wrap my head around any major significance of it all. Though am sure that stems from ignorance. Oh well ... might lower it on a really RAM constrained system and raise it a tad on a memory rich one but wouldn't get ridiculous with it either, I consider 4gigs memory rich btw. Both versions continue running great.

Thanks Steve, Arch wiki links/reminders are usually welcome, always tend to find something interesting in there somewhere.

Viva la Arch wiki !!! tongue

#260 2017-12-15 10:32:37

Steve

Yeah the archwiki has a lot of great tips on making the firefox browser more secure and privacy focused.

#261 2017-12-17 01:28:48

qcgxr

Steve wrote:

I have been reading up on various firefox tweaks/privacy etc today here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Privacy

Disable WebRTC is a good one if you dont need it... https://www.privacytools.io/webrtc.html

I'd add https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js both for its hardening but also for the recommended add-ons. They seem to understand what they're doing more than the privacytoolsio folks.

#262 2017-12-25 03:08:47

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

We bring you this babble update live ! tongue

Still not using Quantum nearly enough, thing was coming along great on my Os's, still tend to use v56.0.2 atm. Also been a busy dork, in that as always continue tweaking away at any gnu/Linuxy goodness I can lay hands on and I do believe the default configuration behind the ondemand governor was causing performance issues which would've impacted Quantum too. Those now mostly corrected and made a thread about the nonsense. Plenty left to learn about it and pretty much every other tech subject in the world, shrugs.

Oh well ... one dy @ a time and Merry Christmas folks ! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-25 03:09:05)

#263 2017-12-25 08:13:51

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

And yet more babble, been thinking this over for awhile. I like Quantum, see some definite potential with the thing too. Though when comes to these content processes things, don't find myself overly impressed. I mean I kinda get that it's supposed to enhance security and stability, that being if one of the content processes crashes, it only takes the stuff running under it down with it and the others survive. Though honestly not seeing much other than this that's impressive to me.

Also note: Haven't studied all the changes to Quantum either. So really am ignorant at this point. Jacked my FF v 57.0.1 number of content processes up to 6 awhile ago vs the 4 it comes with default. This is said to increase memory usage and no doubt does to whatever extent. Same time mentioned still use FF v56.0.2 majority of the time and it's every bit as fast in terms of browsing speeds as Quantum. Long and pointless way of saying am considering lowering the number of content processes, at least back down to 4, perhaps even further to like 2, as overall not seeing any great use for these things.

If do keep them, seriously doubting I'll ever bother bumping them up beyond 6 regardless. Anyone else been playing with them, what's been your findings and impression on this topic ? big_smile

#264 2017-12-25 17:17:53

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

BLizgreat! wrote:

Jacked my FF v 57.0.1

There is v 57.0.2 already, they fixed a couple of issues.

Last edited by martix (2017-12-25 17:18:07)

#265 2017-12-26 08:05:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ it's been a while since i saw debian stable users running after the very latest version of some software.

my repos / my repos
---

#266 2017-12-26 14:24:23

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Might be there, could be better too but still Firefox keeps telling me it's up to date at version 57.0.1 for the time being. So assuming that means it's still currently the official release version. Thing is running great for me, did go ahead and put the number of content processes back down to it's default setting. Will mess with v57.0.2 when it comes through the official channel. Not that it'd be a big deal either way, am planning on sticking with whatever current release for now.

#267 2017-12-26 14:35:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Will mess with v57.0.2 when it comes through the official channel

Mozilla's download link is currently offering v57.0.2 and has been since 2017-12-07:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 … easenotes/

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#268 2017-12-26 14:53:13

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Oddball, it's still set to automatically check/apply updates and has updated on my system yet. Even when manually checking it, still not too worried either way, will make a note and dork with later if the update doesn't happen itself in a reasonable period of time. If it's officially being offered then yeppers, I want it running too.

Ps, went ahead and did it, downloaded from site, replaced the directory in ~/ with it, so running that version now. Still odd it didn't automatically do so and will poke around later. Been doing a bunch of dorking with Firefox recently. Need to make sure I didn't get any wires crossed etc with how it's set up on this OS.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-26 15:00:36)

#269 2017-12-26 18:31:28

vasa1

martix wrote:

Weren't those Windows-specific?

Block old versions of G Data Endpoint Security for crashing Firefox on start up - Windows only (bug 1421991)

Fix a regression with WebGL and D3D9 - Windows only

From the bottom of https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 … easenotes/

My Firefox, direct from Mozilla, is still at 57.0.1. However, those who download Fx57 for the first time from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?scene=2 will get version 57.0.2. Bit puzzling but doesn't bother me.

Last edited by vasa1 (2017-12-26 18:31:56)

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#270 2017-12-26 20:15:21

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Was the same thing, didn't automatically update on either of my gnu/Linux installs. Went ahead and manually did it. Don't so much think it's necessary more like a why not situation. Thanks Martix and Hoas for bringing it to people's attention either way. Figure if/since Mozilla is passing out version 57.0.2 now may as well use that version.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-26 20:16:45)

#271 2017-12-26 20:24:56

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

vasa1 wrote:
martix wrote:

Weren't those Windows-specific?

It looks like that. Recently I just discovered a very annoying message. I unchecked automatic search engine updates and also automatic add-on updates. However I still received this message:
search.th.png

Why would want to Mozilla check what search engine is set in the browser and why would they want to change it back to google?

This is really annoying, just like the default settings in Firefox. I wish there was - out of the box - a safe and basic browser without all kinds of unnecessary junk...

Last edited by martix (2017-12-26 20:25:17)

#272 2017-12-27 01:26:50

vasa1

martix wrote:

Why would want to Mozilla check what search engine is set in the browser and why would they want to change it back to google?

Because they've dumped Yahoo! and gone back to Google smile

What you noticed was a deliberate "mistake" to get more people to use Google. Cynical, but it fits the trend sad

See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1526709 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1419941

Last edited by vasa1 (2017-12-27 01:51:28)

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#273 2017-12-27 05:43:57

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

@vasa1 Thank you! Great to read the story behind that message.

Have a look at this remark: "Analyst at Ecosia here. Currently lost 50% of our FF userbase in this update up (57.0 to 57.0.1) until today. That equates to around 8.4m searches since Dec 1st & right now around we're losing 600k daily, expectant to grow to 1.2m daily lost when propagation of 57.0.1 is complete."

There is one more thing with FF and google: There will be always a google (NID) cookie - which is basically a form of tracking. The option "Block dangerous and deceptive content" has to be unchecked to get rid of this cookie.

Checking

about:telemetry

is interesting.

Last edited by martix (2017-12-27 07:44:53)

#274 2017-12-27 09:00:41

titan

ohnonot wrote:

I have a deep suspicion towards all chromium clones,

that certainly goes for vivaldi,

any current info on their open-source status? is it possible to obtain a compilable source package?

From their website, it looks like all their code is auditable.

https://help.vivaldi.com/article/is-viv … en-source/

Vivaldi is not made available under one unified open source license. It does contain the Chromium source code with changes made to allow the HTML/CSS/JS based UI to run. All changes to the Chromium source code are made available under a BSD license and can be read by anyone on vivaldi.com/source/. Details in this regard are explained in the the README and LICENSE files within the package. In addition, our UI code is written in plain, accessible code for those who read HTML, CSS and JS. This means that for all practical purposes the Vivaldi source code is available for audit. Vivaldi also contains third party code. Licenses for these parts can be found in the source package and in the installed browser at vivaldi://credits

#275 2017-12-27 10:07:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ thanks.
since i made that comment, i have revised my position about vivaldi somewhat.
maybe because one of the devs is active (and i don't mean just spreading propaganda) on LQ and uses slackware.

martix wrote:

FF and google: There will be always a google (NID) cookie - which is basically a form of tracking. The option "Block dangerous and deceptive content" has to be unchecked to get rid of this cookie.

which i have been doing & recommending for ages now.
which is the root of google's evil: they say they will protect you- but not from themselves.
and their lists are being accepted as some sort of de-facto standard (e.g. email spam filters).

about:telemetry

is interesting.

...and can be UNchecked in settings.
for me that page just says "no data collected".

my repos / my repos
---

Board footer