You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-15 21:11:58

jjanderson5

nm-applet not displaying icon in systray

I've just installed BL Linux on an old laptop. Most things are working, but not everything yet. Several icons which have appeared in the past are not showing up. For example, I have an entry for nm-applet in my openbox/autostart file. I have confirmed that the call to nm-applet is actually being made in openbox/autostart, but the icon does not show up in the systray area of the tint2 panel. I'm using a tint2rc file that only minor modifications to it and which has worked on other systems. It has an entry:

# Panel
panel_monitor = all
panel_position = bottom center horizontal
panel_items = LTSBC

The code 'S' specifies that the icons should show up in the notification area. The 'B' and 'C' codes are for the battery and clock, both of which are displayed.

If have been searching the net for hints and have found some, but none seem to work for me.

I tried running nm-applet as a command line and that also had no effect. It gave a return code of 0 (success).

Can anyone help?

Jim Anderson

#2 2017-03-15 21:18:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: nm-applet not displaying icon in systray

Are there any icons at all in the systray?

jjanderson5 wrote:

If have been searching the net for hints and have found some, but none seem to work for me.

Please list exactly what you have tried in order to prevent duplication of effort by any who choose to assist you.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2017-03-15 22:35:08

o9000
tint2 developer
Website

jjanderson5 wrote:

I tried running nm-applet as a command line and that also had no effect. It gave a return code of 0 (success).

You need to run first

killall nm-applet

because only one instance can run at a time.

Is it BL or Ubuntu?

#4 2017-03-16 00:20:15

damo
....moderator....

jjanderson5 wrote:

I've just installed BL Linux on an old laptop. Most things are working, but not everything yet. Several icons which have appeared in the past are not showing up. For example, I have an entry for nm-applet in my openbox/autostart file.....

You are not using the default BL '~/.config/openbox/autostart' in that case - there should not be an entry for nm-applet. In the header comments it should say

## Note: some programs, such as 'nm-applet' are run via XDG autostart

A copy of the default autostart is in '/usr/share/bunsen/skel', which you can use as a reference. It also includes instructions for listing XDG autostarted programs.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2017-03-16 01:01:42

jjanderson5

@Head_on_a_Stick

Are there any icons at all in the systray?

No, no other icons are in the systray.

Please list exactly what you have tried in order to prevent duplication of effort by any who choose to assist you.

I am going to make additional replies and I will provide additional information is my last post of this evening

#6 2017-03-16 01:14:41

jjanderson5

@o9000

You need to run first

killall nm-applet

because only one instance can run at a time.

I killed and restart nm-applet in a terminal and got:

(nm-applet:5884): nm-applet-WARNING **: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.AgentManager.PermissionDenied: Failed to request agent permissions: Authorization check failed: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_get_devices: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_get_nm_running: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_get_state: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_networking_get_enabled: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_wireless_get_enabled: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_wireless_hardware_get_enabled: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_wwan_get_enabled: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_wwan_hardware_get_enabled: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

(nm-applet:5884): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_client_get_devices: assertion 'NM_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed

Your question:

Is it BL or Ubuntu?

For those here at BL I must fess up and admit I told a white lie. This problem is really on an Ubuntu host, but I wrote it up for the BL forum because all my other computers are running BL and I know there is a lot of expertise here regarding openbox, tint2, conky, etc. I'm only running the Ubuntu host because it is required, or shall I say, "strongly recommended" that I run Ubuntu. I'm running a parallel thread on Ubuntu because I thought I would hit different user group. Please accept my apology

Jim

#7 2017-03-16 01:20:44

damo
....moderator....

jjanderson5 wrote:

For those here at BL I must fess up and admit I told a white lie. This problem is really on an Ubuntu host, but I wrote it up for the BL forum because all my other computers are running BL and I know there is a lot of expertise here regarding openbox, tint2, conky, etc. I'm only running the Ubuntu host because it is required, or shall I say, "strongly recommended" that I run Ubuntu. I'm running a parallel thread on Ubuntu because I thought I would hit different user group. Please accept my apology

Jim

Posting in a BunsenLabs-specific sub-forum, without telling us that it isn't a BL issue, has caused a bit of time wasting, no? The Openbox setup on BL has been tweaked, and is likely to be different from other distros.

I'm moving this thread to Help & Support (Other)

Help & Support (Other) wrote:

If you have a Debian testing/unstable or other non-BunsenLabs support question, feel free to ask it here.

#8 2017-03-16 01:22:17

jjanderson5

@damo

You are not using the default BL '~/.config/openbox/autostart' in that case - there should not be an entry for nm-applet. In the header comments it should say

True. I have modified the default autostart. I have added my own entry to call nm-applet, because there was no network manager icon in the systray in my original installation and I was trying to make sure nm-applet was being invoked.

## Note: some programs, such as 'nm-applet' are run via XDG autostart

A copy of the default autostart is in '/usr/share/bunsen/skel', which you can use as a reference. It also includes instructions for listing XDG autostarted programs.

I had not read the comment you mentioned. I'm going to review it and see if that can be part, or all, of my problem.

#9 2017-03-16 01:24:35

jjanderson5

Posting in a BunsenLabs-specific sub-forum, without telling us that it isn't a BL issue, has caused a bit of time wasting, no?

Yes, I agree.

#10 2017-03-16 01:49:36

jjanderson5

@Head_on_a_stick

At o9000's suggestion, I had killed tint2 and restarted it directing the stdout in one file and stderr into another:

Here is the stdout output

xRandr: Found crtc's: 2
xRandr: Linking output eDP1 with crtc 0
No XSETTINGS manager, tint2 uses config option 'launcher_icon_theme'.
real transparency on... depth: 32
found mains "AC"
found battery "BAT0"
Kernel uevent interface initialized...

And here is the stderr output:

panel items: TSBC
Systray composited rendering on
tint2 : nb monitor 1, nb monitor used 1, nb desktop 10
systray window 16777228
^[[1;32mtint2 : systray started^[[0m

Note that the conrtol characters in the last line provide highlight to that line when viewed on a terminal.

A second task that I tried was to install code into autostart file that logged when nm-applet was being called. I was able to verify that the call to nm-applet was being made.

In addition, I experimented with my tint2rc file and added 'B' to the panel items and removed the 'L'. In both cases, I got the expected the response with the 'B'attery icon showing up and the 'L'auncher disappearing from the panel.

I also looked at the file /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop and saw the line:

NoDisplay=true

I experimented and changed this line to false, but it has not impact when I restarted.

#11 2017-03-16 01:59:43

damo
....moderator....

From nm-applet.desktop, do you have an icon called 'nm-device-wireless', in /usr/share/icons/<icontheme>/devices/?

#12 2017-03-16 03:52:55

jjanderson5

@damo

/usr/share/icons/<icontheme>/devices/?

How do I know which icontheme I am using?  There are 29 directories in the
/usr/share/icons directory. I'm guessing I must be using 'default', but I don't
know that for sure.

#13 2017-03-16 04:00:49

damo
....moderator....

BL uses lxappearance to set gtk theme and icons, and the gtk settings also appear in '~/.gtkrc-2.0'. I have no idea what Ubuntu uses hmm

If you have a mixture of BL and Ubuntu configs, then we can't help without knowing what you have done.

#14 2017-03-16 07:38:43

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

jjanderson5 wrote:

This problem is really on an Ubuntu host

Please describe your installation process in full.

This should show which icon theme is being used:

grep icon-theme ~/.gtkrc-2.0

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-03-16 07:54:44)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#15 2017-03-16 08:50:43

o9000
tint2 developer
Website

I will post here, there is no point on discussing on two forums.

I can speak about tint2 since I am familiar with that. From the tint2 output, nm-applet is not trying to show an icon. My guess is that there is something going wrong in nm-applet. I am wondering if NetworkManager is installed and running correctly. You could try to use nmcli to talk to it (if this isn't working, NetworkManager is the problem).

In my experience, Ubuntu is somewhat fragile and it won't work well when building it from parts. It is easier to install Ubuntu starting from one of the desktop versions (either the vanilla one with Unity, XUbuntu or LUbuntu) and then remove bloat, turning off unneeded stuff and uninstalling certain programs, than starting from a minimal install and adding desktop parts on top (which I suspect you did since, for example, there is no xsettings manager running on your system). Since this is a new install, if I were you, I'd just reinstall starting from xubuntu or lubuntu. That would likely solve these problems.

jjanderson5 wrote:

I'm only running the Ubuntu host because it is required, or shall I say, "strongly recommended" that I run Ubuntu.

I get it, this is pretty common. Actually the Ubuntu LTS versions are excellent if you want a system that generally "just works" and you want to spend most of the time doing "real work" instead of tweaking the system, so there is some merit to that decision.

Last edited by o9000 (2017-03-16 08:59:06)

#16 2017-03-16 21:45:13

jjanderson5

@damo

BL uses lxappearance to set gtk theme and icons, and the gtk settings also appear in '~/.gtkrc-2.0'. I have no idea what Ubuntu uses hmm

If you have a mixture of BL and Ubuntu configs, then we can't help without knowing what you have done.

On Ubuntu, I am using lxappearance. I brought it up and was still not sure what the default setting is, so I arbitrarily set it to 'elementary Xfce'. I then did a search in /usr/share/icons for nm-device-wireless. It does not appear in any of the icon themes. If this icon does not appear here, it can not be displayed? I check one of my BL boxes and did not find it there either.

By and large, my openbox configuration mimics a BL openbox configuration. My path for installation was to install the BL menu and install as much of the BL menu derived software. For example, I tarred up /usr/lib/bunsen, /usr/share/applications/bl-*, /usr/bin/bl-* and installed them on the ubuntu maching.

I then ran most of the selections in the BL menu and did what I had to to make the selection work. In some cases I had to change 1 or 2 symbolic links. In other cases, I had to run 'apt-get install xxx' when a menu selection was calling for 'xxx'. At this point, I have just about everything running and I feel like I'm on BL linux  smile

In addition, I have this note in my installation log:

###     This following come installed with ubuntu, but can be installed
###         with apt-get install:
###             - openbox
###             - obmenu
###             - libobrender32
###             - libobt2
###     The following have been installed with apt-get install:
###             - openbox-menu (support piped menus)
###             - tint2
###             - conky

I have an underlying assumption that openbox running on any distribution will run the same. I know that is a big assumption, but by and large everything has worked as expected.

I have also have a lot of additional s/w that I have install which should run on any linux distribution. I'm not including that list here, but if you think that will help, I can provide a complete list

#17 2017-03-16 21:54:42

jjanderson5

@Head_on_a_stick

Please describe your installation process in full.

In my recent reply to damo, I tried to describe the process.

Thank you. I have added that to my 'useful_commands' file, for future reference.

#18 2017-03-16 22:10:13

damo
....moderator....

jjanderson5 wrote:

Thank you. I have added that to my 'useful_commands' file, for future reference.

I pointed out ~/.gtkrc-2.0 earlier wink

nm-device-wireless appears in Faenza, and probably other themes. Why not try changing the icon name in the .desktop file to a wireless icon you do have?

BTW the BL yad package has 'yad-icon-browser', which is a lovely little, er, icon browser.

#19 2017-03-16 22:11:35

jjanderson5

@0900

I will post here, there is no point on discussing on two forums.

Yes. I will go back and close the Ubuntu forum thread.

I can speak about tint2 since I am familiar with that. From the tint2 output, nm-applet is not trying to show an icon. My guess is that there is something going wrong in nm-applet. I am wondering if NetworkManager is installed and running correctly. You could try to use nmcli to talk to it (if this isn't working, NetworkManager is the problem).

I will check these out in the next day or two and report back.

In my experience, Ubuntu is somewhat fragile and it won't work well when building it from parts. It is easier to install Ubuntu starting from one of the desktop versions (either the vanilla one with Unity, XUbuntu or LUbuntu) and then remove bloat, turning off unneeded stuff and uninstalling certain programs, than starting from a minimal install and adding desktop parts on top (which I suspect you did since, for example, there is no xsettings manager running on your system). Since this is a new install, if I were you, I'd just reinstall starting from xubuntu or lubuntu. That would likely solve these problems.

This is a tempting route, but I'm going to stay with what I have now. As I mentioned to Damo, the system is up and running and I pretty much feel like I'm on a Bunsenlabs PC. Just about everything I need is running. I like having the systray icons available, but I think I can work around not having them. I really appreciate your suggestion because it is a viable option for me if this does not work out for me.

I get it, this is pretty common. Actually the Ubuntu LTS versions are excellent if you want a system that generally "just works" and you want to spend most of the time doing "real work" instead of tweaking the system, so there is some merit to that decision.

I will at some point take a look at Ubuntu LTS. I suspect it would mean giving up openbox which I am relucant to do. Besides being lightweight, it gives me a simple and configurable interface.

#20 2017-03-16 23:01:31

jjanderson5

@o9000

Regarding NetworkManager:

- I ran:

ps -elf | fgrep -i networkmanager

and got:

4 S nobody    1233     1  0  80   0 - 13217 poll_s Mar15 ?        00:00:02 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --no-resolv --keep-in-foreground --no-hosts --bind-interfaces --pid-file=/var/run/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.pid --listen-address=127.0.1.1 --cache-size=0 --conf-file=/dev/null --proxy-dnssec --enable-dbus=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.dnsmasq --conf-dir=/etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d

This is a DNS daemon. I don't see the NetworkManager running.

I then ran killed nm-applet and ran:

service NetworkManager start
nm-applet &

The output was:

No protocol specified
Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file or directory
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(nm-applet:29793): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

[1]    Exit 1                        nm-applet

This doesn't look good, but I'm not sure what to make of it at this point.

#21 2017-03-16 23:11:49

damo
....moderator....

You need to start/stop services as root, ie use sudo.

#22 2017-03-16 23:23:38

jjanderson5

@Damo

I pointed out ~/.gtkrc-2.0 earlier wink

Yes, but Head_on_a_stick said to use 'grep' on the file. He gets full credit. You only get 1/2 creidt.

nm-device-wireless appears in Faenza, and probably other themes. Why not try changing the icon name in the .desktop file to a wireless icon you do have?

I'm going to try that. BTW, in looking at /usr/share/icons on BL and Ubuntu, it looks like the 2 distros have their icons organized differently and probably access them differently.

Thanks for the tip about yad. I have it installed, but will have to read a tutorial on how to use it.

#23 2017-03-16 23:38:35

jjanderson5

@damo

I tried using an icon that exists, but it did not work.  sad

#24 2017-03-16 23:43:50

damo
....moderator....

^^Sod you then.

BTW no need to learn how to program yad, just run 'yad-icon-browser'.

#25 2020-03-31 03:38:20

achim

Last edited by achim (2020-03-31 03:39:43)

Board footer