You are not logged in.

#26 2017-02-22 10:26:35

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: helium-dev netinstall - missing packages

@dolly, network-manager lets you connect to a network, network-manager-gnome provides the GUI for managing connections, as well as the panel applet.

You probably know that and I'm not sure if it's relevant.

#27 2017-02-24 08:24:32

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Yes, that one I knew. It is just that I find it weird that it works when installing into  Virtualbox, but not to a real harddrive. I have tried this five times, all with the same result. Same iso, same choices during install. It would be intreresting to hear other peoples experiences on the matter.

For the moment I am done with this, now I will just enjoy my helium. Thanks again for doing this. smile

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#28 2017-02-25 02:49:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I've been doing most of my testing in virtual machines lately because it's much faster and more convenient. I'll try the helium-dev script in a real (but old) laptop soon, and see what happens.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#29 2017-02-25 10:05:06

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

You are right there, virtual machines are very convenient for testing. Old laptops too! big_smile

The machines I have been using for this are, my guess is ca ten, and five years old respectively. smile

#30 2017-03-17 22:49:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Just encountered this issue in a fresh stretch QEMU netinstall...

The problem is due to rdnssd — this is installed if no desktop is selected in tasksel and it conflicts with NetworkManager.

To let the script run properly, use this command first:

sudo apt purge rdnssd

@johnraff: perhaps include this step in the helium-dev script?

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#31 2017-03-21 07:55:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The problem is due to rdnssd — this is installed if no desktop is selected in tasksel and it conflicts with NetworkManager.

To let the script run properly, use this command first:

sudo apt purge rdnssd

@johnraff: perhaps include this step in the helium-dev script?

This feels wrong. If network-manager conflicts with the previously installed rndssd then a request to install n-m ought to cause rndssd to be removed automatically. That's what usually happens in such cases, and it would be a bit strange if we had to check all the "Conflicts:" of packages we were about to install...

But it's great you have identified the cause of this weird issue. It sounds like a bug somewhere, but meanwhile your workaround would do no harm for now.

#32 2017-03-21 09:30:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

TL;DR
I think a solution might be to add network-manager to the explicit install list, rather than have it brought in as a dependency of network-manager-gnome.

Some playing about on my Stretch/Helium-dev VB system showed:
1) rdnssd is not installed, suggesting that network-manager had pushed it out. I don't know why that happens only on some systems.
2) Install rdnssd: network-manager and network-manager-gnome are removed, as expected.
3) Install network-manager-gnome: this fails with an error about not being able to install network-manager.
4) Install network-manager: fails because the network is down. wink (/etc/network/interfaces has to be restored to a working state after removing network-manager previously, in order for apt-get to work.)
5) Install network-manager with a working network: rdnssd is removed, as expected. (A message to edit /etc/network/interfaces comes up.)

So, about debian package Conflicts, it looks as if an explicit install command will cause the conflicting package to be removed, but if the package to be installed is only a dependency of another package then the install will fail.

EDIT: added network-manager to pkgs-norecs for both helium and hydrogen netinstall scripts.

Last edited by johnraff (2017-03-21 09:39:02)

#33 2017-03-21 18:33:14

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Thanks for the info guys! smile

#34 2017-05-24 01:26:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Just for reference, the rdnssd/network-manager clash is a known bug, along with the well-known failure to set up a working /etc/network/interfaces file with wireless after a CLI install: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=854801
It's been marked "serious" so might get straightened out for Stretch, with any luck.

Board footer