You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-26 11:05:09

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

[SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Hi guys

I'm trying to install Steam and i tried to follow guide from Debian documentation, but after installing im getting error:

"Missing 32-bit libraries: libGL.so.1"

I tried solutions from here already:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233005

But nothing seems to help

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-12 12:33:57)

Offline

#2 2016-12-26 11:13:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

i tried to follow guide from Debian documentation

Please post *exactly* what you tried, include *all* of the commands used.

, but after installing im getting error:

"Missing 32-bit libraries: libGL.so.1"

Looks like you haven't enabled multiarch support.

I tried solutions from here already:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233005

But nothing seems to help

Please post *exactly* what you tried, include *all* of the commands used.

I can confirm that Steam works just fine on my (64-bit) BunsenLabs system if the Debian wiki instructions are followed.

https://wiki.debian.org/Steam

EDIT: full Steam ahead:

screenFetch-2016-12-26_11-37-08.th.png

smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-12-26 11:38:04)


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#3 2016-12-26 11:28:08

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pawel2k wrote:

i tried to follow guide from Debian documentation

Please post *exactly* what you tried, include *all* of the commands used.

, but after installing im getting error:

"Missing 32-bit libraries: libGL.so.1"

Looks like you haven't enabled multiarch support.

I tried solutions from here already:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233005

But nothing seems to help

Please post *exactly* what you tried, include *all* of the commands used.

I can confirm that Steam works just fine on my (64-bit) BunsenLabs system if the Debian wiki instructions are followed.

https://wiki.debian.org/Steam


What i did so far:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

-c 'apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386'

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

sudo apt-get install --reinstall steam

Offline

#4 2016-12-26 11:43:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

What i did so far:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

Yes, good, that is correct.

-c 'apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386'

Why did you do that? That is not needed at all.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

You probably should not have done that. It certainly should not be needed.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall steam

That should work just fine once multiarch is enabled, what was the full output of that command?

As you can see from my EDIT above, Steam works just fine in BunsenLabs -- perhaps the changes you made after reading those Ubuntu forums posts have broken something.


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#5 2016-12-26 14:46:04

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pawel2k wrote:

What i did so far:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

Yes, good, that is correct.

-c 'apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386'

Why did you do that? That is not needed at all.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

You probably should not have done that. It certainly should not be needed.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall steam

That should work just fine once multiarch is enabled, what was the full output of that command?

As you can see from my EDIT above, Steam works just fine in BunsenLabs -- perhaps the changes you made after reading those Ubuntu forums posts have broken something.

I have tried installing Steam multiple teams already (i did many OS reinstalls due to testing Debian based distros), tried also to use the first command only and then installing Steam, but same result.

Offline

#6 2016-12-26 15:14:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

tried also to use the first command only and then installing Steam, but same result.

What result?

Can we please see the full terminal output of `apt install steam`?

As I have said, that method works just fine in my BunsenLabs system, it should work on yours as well as long as you haven't misconfigured the system somehow elsewhere.


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#7 2016-12-27 00:53:51

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 4,679
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:
dpkg --add-architecture i386

...

sudo apt-get install --reinstall steam

I think you need to run

apt-get update

after adding the i386 architecture and before trying to install any i386 packages.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Online

#8 2017-01-05 09:56:01

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

I'm trying to install it again this time on clean Debian 8.6 Jessie.

What i did:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

apt-get update

Then installed Steam by using Gdebi.

This time i get this error:

You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libc.so.6

Last edited by pawel2k (2017-01-05 09:56:40)

Offline

#9 2017-01-05 22:05:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

Then installed Steam by using Gdebi.

Why are you using gdebi?

From where did you get the .deb?

Did you even bother to read the link that I provided?

Here it is again:

https://wiki.debian.org/Steam#A64-bit_s … 28amd64.29

That guide works for both Debian jessie and BunsenLabs, I have used that exact method *many* times on both systems.

EDIT: I even gave the *exact* command here roll

I am beginning to think you are simply trolling.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-05 22:06:56)


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#10 2017-01-10 19:48:13

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Once again...

What i am doing:

# Debian Jessie
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

# dpkg --add-architecture i386
# aptitude update

# aptitude install steam

When i click on Steam, nothing happens, and if i run Steam through terminal, im getting this:

pawel@debian:~$ steam
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[2017-01-10 19:46:36] Startup - updater built Aug 26 2014 15:35:42
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

Offline

#11 2017-01-10 20:04:53

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 4,389

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Do you have nvidia graphics? Google for the error message: "libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast"


Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#12 2017-01-10 20:17:21

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

damo wrote:

Do you have nvidia graphics? Google for the error message: "libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast"

Yes i do, and im using the driver from Nvidia website, i know its not recommended although i am getting 0 screen tearing with this driver, and i play some GPU extensive games from time to time.

I googled it but can't really find solution so far.

Offline

#13 2017-01-10 20:26:25

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 4,389

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:
damo wrote:

Do you have nvidia graphics? Google for the error message: "libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast"

Yes i do, and im using the driver from Nvidia website, i know its not recommended although i am getting 0 screen tearing with this driver, and i play some GPU extensive games from time to time.

I googled it but can't really find solution so far.

One of the reasons it isn't recommended is that you have to reinstall it and rebuild the kernel headers again after upgrades. This isn't necessary if you use the nvidia-driver from the repos.

Try installing/building again, which should sort out the swrast error - the software renderer can't find the hardware driver. (This comes up with lots of search hits wink )


Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#14 2017-01-10 21:20:32

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Okay i have switched to Debian Testing and driver from Debian wiki.

Again, i followed Debian wiki on how to install Steam (same as above), but this time i had to install steam:i386 since there is not steam package in repository.

When i run Steam i am getting this error:

Fatal error: failed to load steamui.so

Offline

#15 2017-01-10 21:32:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

i have switched to Debian Testing

Thread moved to Help & Support (Other)


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#16 2017-01-10 21:37:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

When i run Steam i am getting this error:

Fatal error: failed to load steamui.so

Try:

mv .local/share/Steam{,.old}

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=157825

To find that solution, I simply entered your error message into the search box at https://www.startpage.com/ — that link was at the top of the list wink


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#17 2017-01-10 21:40:07

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pawel2k wrote:

When i run Steam i am getting this error:

Fatal error: failed to load steamui.so

Try:

mv .local/share/Steam{,.old}

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=157825

To find that solution, I simply entered your error message into the search box at https://www.startpage.com/ — that link was at the top of the list wink

Tried that already, same error.

This is bullsh*t seriously Steam should work OOTB.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-10 21:41:16)

Offline

#18 2017-01-10 21:42:47

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 4,389

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

...
This is bullsh*t seriously Steam should work OOTB.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

...
As I have said, that method works just fine in my BunsenLabs system, it should work on yours as well as long as you haven't misconfigured the system somehow elsewhere.

It would seem that you have a misconfigured system hmm


Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#19 2017-01-10 21:43:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

It works fine for my Intel & AMD hardware, have you tried the non-proprietary drivers?


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#20 2017-01-10 21:43:58

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

damo wrote:
pawel2k wrote:

...
This is bullsh*t seriously Steam should work OOTB.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

...
As I have said, that method works just fine in my BunsenLabs system, it should work on yours as well as long as you haven't misconfigured the system somehow elsewhere.

It would seem that you have a misconfigured system hmm

How can i have a misconfigured system if i just installed clean Debian?
I tried it few times already and always some errors.

It works OOTB on Ubuntu but i dont want to use that crap.

Offline

#21 2017-01-10 21:47:01

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 4,389

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

...
It works OOTB on Ubuntu but i dont want to use that crap.

I know what you mean - I suspect that the issue is with Debian + nvidia graphics. Ubuntu/Mint installs extra stuff to deal with it.


Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#22 2017-01-10 21:47:08

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

It works fine for my Intel & AMD hardware, have you tried the non-proprietary drivers?

I am using drivers from Debian wiki, don't know how to get different drivers on Debian.

Offline

#23 2017-01-10 21:47:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

How can i have a misconfigured system if i just installed clean Debian?

You are now using Debian testing, that is a development branch and cannot be expected to work wink


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#24 2017-01-10 21:48:41

pawel2k
Member
Registered: 2016-12-25
Posts: 53

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pawel2k wrote:

How can i have a misconfigured system if i just installed clean Debian?

You are now using Debian testing, that is a development branch and cannot be expected to work wink

Yeah like it was working on Jessie... big_smile

Last edited by pawel2k (2017-01-10 21:48:50)

Offline

#25 2017-01-10 21:51:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install Steam

pawel2k wrote:

I am using drivers from Debian wiki

The Debian wiki page that refers to the NVIDIA blob has many methods listed, please post the exact commands & configuration files that you used.

don't know how to get different drivers on Debian.

A stock Debian installation will use the nouveau drivers OOTB, did you try steam before installing the driver blob?


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB