You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-14 18:08:06

ohnonot
...again

TV Series

I've become a big friend of TV Series.

Full length movies seem to be getting longer and longer and often I just don't feel like leaning back for 2 hours, and I also don't like cutting a story in half.

On the other hand I like how you can create a much larger story with a TV Series.
Become more immersed, yet be able to dose yourself sensibly (and no, I don't care much for cliffhangers).

Unfortunately many TV shows are also very cheap and plain bad, so let's share the good ones here!

Let me start with Fargo.

You know the Coen brothers? They're directors and made movies like The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, No Country for Old Men, and Fargo. Which they also made into a TV Series.
Usually I dread the "make a 2 hour movie into a much larger number of 45min episodes", but it works really well for this one.
Martin Freeman is one hero, Billy Bob Thornton the other.
Finest dark humor, understanding of human nature, and we don't know yet how it all ends...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfej6ekBZI

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#2 2015-10-14 22:02:55

nereet

Re: TV Series

Thanks for Fargo,I have to watch it after your post.I grew up with TV series lol.
I'm waiting for the new season of Supernatural, maybe it will never win any Emmy award but I like the irony of the characters and the fact that it's never too serious. Something easy to watch if you like ghosts angels and demons.

#3 2015-10-14 22:24:07

redcollective

Mr Robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4fRXGyIak

Interesting characters, great acting.

Last edited by redcollective (2015-10-14 22:24:20)

Knowledge Ferret

#4 2015-10-15 04:45:17

Temetka

^ Beaten to it.

I am loving Mr. Robot.

I love the speech his dad gave during the last episode. Pure awesome.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#5 2015-10-15 05:43:35

ohnonot
...again

^ i got interested in mr robot because there's so many clueless kali linux users on linuxquestions, one of whom even admitted to have been inspired by that series.

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-10-16 05:37:39)

#6 2015-10-16 05:49:43

ohnonot
...again

mr robot is quite entertaining.
i don't buy the hero's social disability angle (others have acted that part much better in other series, e.g. ryan cartwright as gary in alphas, or tony shaloub as monk), but after episode 1 it's not really mentioned anymore and the story is good enough in itself.

it's a story that has been told many times.
james dean, various marvel heroes...
...rewritten for a generation deeply immersed in internet & computer technology, whether they do it for a living or not.

i'm never quite sure about the hacking aspect, how realistic it is. probably not very, though more so than most productions.

#7 2015-10-25 10:51:22

pvsage
Internal Affairs

ZOMG Ponies

Latest episodes of MLP:FiM include:

• in-universe creator breakdown/recovery

• a wholesome crossdresser (in a universe where the species "don't normally wear clothes")

• a coming-of-age story for three fillies alongside an "elections are serious business" plot

• a pregnancy

• a Mennonite culture clash

Tell me again how this is just a show for little girls, and what do little girls know that we adults have forgotten?

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#8 2015-10-25 20:15:03

ohnonot
...again

one of these days, i'm gonna have to start watching those ponies.

about mr robot: in retrospect, it's not really about hacking, just another go at the spy/conspiration theory theme.

real linux commands are being executed at some point, but it's nothing that wouls in any way carry or even influence the plot. honestly, i don't understand how that series got so many people hyped about kali linux...

i'm not waiting for the second season.

#9 2015-10-25 20:22:01

wagmic

@ ohnonot
completely agree

I've justed finish Southcliffe an english serie.

Last edited by wagmic (2015-10-25 20:23:47)

La liberté, personne ne peut l’expliquer mais tout le monde peut la comprendre.Cecilia Meireles
Tout ce qui n'est pas donné ou partagé est perdu (proverbe tsigane)

#10 2015-10-25 20:30:57

TeoBigusGeekus
BL DieHard

I've quite enjoyed the first two seasons of Penny Dreadful.
Looking forward for the third one.

Please make Autocad Civil 3D and Archicad work on Linux!

#11 2015-10-26 08:35:00

pvsage
Internal Affairs

ohnonot wrote:

one of these days, i'm gonna have to start watching those ponies.

It really is one of the best-written family-friendly animated series.  IMHO it just keeps getting better; it actually "grew the beard" after its original developer left.  (I've had a peek at some of Lauren's more recent works; frankly, I think she was holding ponies back.)

The examples I listed earlier were all main plot points, by the way.  For example, the Creator Breakdown example was when the fashionista opened a satellite boutique in the capital city and hired a manager who turned out to be a real Commander Contrarian who pushed quantity over quality and kept her boss in the sewing room making copy after copy of a "signature dress".  (Did I mention the fashionista's name is Rarity?  A few years ago, her voice actor declined, in-character, to be part of Tara Strong's and BlackGryphon's "ponylicious" meme because memes are repetitive iterations and therefore not unique; imagine having this character make hundreds of copies of the same dress.)  Burnout was the only option; her own work became shoddy knock-offs of the original, and she came close to closing the boutique.

The latest episode had the Mennonite culture clash, and was about how differently they celebrate their universe's "You mean Xmas".  Seriously, compare how different the fundamentalist Christian traditions for Christmas are from the modern commercialized traditions "and multiply that by infinity".

You should see some of the shout-outs and Parental Bonuses in the series.  Juicy!

Last edited by pvsage (2015-10-26 10:17:19)

BunsenLabs Forum Rules

#12 2015-10-26 17:53:35

ohnonot
...again

^ pvsage, can you recommend a good starting point?
like name of series (i gather there is more than 1), season number?

#13 2015-10-26 19:46:24

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ This is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  It's in its fifth season now, and I can't recommend any season over another; they're all good.  After Lauren Faust left at the end of season 2, the show's producers took it in a different direction from her original vision (she wanted to keep it as episodic, while they wanted more continuity and myth arcs).

A lot of people thought the series premiere was dissapoint, but I loved the way it dove straight into the 'verse (pegasi control weather, unicorns are wizards, Earth ponies are similar to Tolkien's dwarves; natural places where ponies aren't the Magical Underpinnings of Reality are considered Eldritch locations) and it did a good job introducing the "mane" characters and the central concept of the series.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules

#14 2015-10-27 14:54:35

photonucleon
Thursday

I only started watching Doctor Who last year (season 8), and enjoyed it a lot. Now I'm in the bizarre position of continuing to watch season 9 (the current season) as it comes out and also binge-watching all of the previous seasons (since 2005) at the same time. So I'm kind of time travelling in a series about time travel.

Pretty much the only other series that I watch is Once Upon A Time, which is one of the best things I've seen in a long time. Each season is very long by typical British standards, and there are four seasons (the fifth just started airing a couple of weeks ago), and yet they still manage to keep the story completely gripping, clever, and engaging, and drop a mind-bendingly good plot twist in almost every episode. The acting is also fantastic, and the casting is excellent, especially when it comes to younger versions of older characters. It's just brilliant.

Last edited by photonucleon (2015-10-27 14:54:54)

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#15 2015-10-27 15:40:40

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

TV series... Well... I like Futurama.

pvsage wrote:

ZOMG Ponies

Latest episodes of MLP:FiM include:

• in-universe creator breakdown/recovery

• a wholesome crossdresser (in a universe where the species "don't normally wear clothes")

• a coming-of-age story for three fillies alongside an "elections are serious business" plot

• a pregnancy

• a Mennonite culture clash

Tell me again how this is just a show for little girls, and what do little girls know that we adults have forgotten?

I'm guessing the one preggy is cadence?

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions

#16 2015-10-27 22:04:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I love Adventure Time and The Aquabats! Super Show!

They're kid's programs but utterly superb in every way.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#17 2015-10-28 12:46:32

shot-in-the-head

Some of my favs are not new, just new to me!
True Blood (vampire)**** I was never very interested in vamp series until I watched this one, love the humour.
Penny Dreadful (x2) ***already suggested ,horror series, combining lots of classic horror into one, Frankenstien, vamps etc.
Death Valley***, very funny, zombie,vamp,cop show
The Shield (cop series)****
House of Cards(Dark political series)****
Ray Donavon (hit man)***
Hell on wheels *** liked the first 2 series then it got a bit boring
edit, forgot my Fav. western series
Deadwood (western)***** http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348914/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Last edited by shot-in-the-head (2015-10-28 14:01:50)

#18 2015-10-28 13:01:50

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

- Southpark is at season 19 now.
- fear the walking dead
- World Science Festival < slightly out of genre.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-10-28 13:04:52)

#19 2015-11-02 20:45:56

ohnonot
...again

photonucleon wrote:

Pretty much the only other series that I watch is Once Upon A Time, which is one of the best things I've seen in a long time.

i hope you are refering to this cause that's what i started watching now, and i'm quite taken.
i always loved fairytales, esp. the original versions of the grimms brothers' & sister's collection - how they describe socio-psychological drama and the things that are really important in life, across centuries, in a way that both adults and children are enthralled, enchanted and entertained, and have learned something in the end.

so, i like how this show always compares the fairy tale to a story in modern society everyday life.

oh, and i'm in love with mary margaret...  ops

more than halfwaythrough season 1 - let's hope they can keep it up for a while longer.
if i'm still hooked halfway through season 2, it must be a good one.

#20 2015-11-02 21:24:01

woodape

Adventure Time   <- waiting for season 7
Rick and Morty    <- This one has cracked me up as of late
Blackish             <-  Thought provoking commentary on race in modern America along with loads of commedy

#21 2015-11-02 21:45:45

photonucleon
Thursday

ohnonot wrote:
photonucleon wrote:

Pretty much the only other series that I watch is Once Upon A Time, which is one of the best things I've seen in a long time.

i hope you are refering to this cause that's what i started watching now, and i'm quite taken.
i always loved fairytales, esp. the original versions of the grimms brothers' & sister's collection - how they describe socio-psychological drama and the things that are really important in life, across centuries, in a way that both adults and children are enthralled, enchanted and entertained, and have learned something in the end.

so, i like how this show always compares the fairy tale to a story in modern society everyday life.

oh, and i'm in love with mary margaret...  ops

more than halfwaythrough season 1 - let's hope they can keep it up for a while longer.
if i'm still hooked halfway through season 2, it must be a good one.

That's the one! IMO it stays just as good all the way through, I'm currently watching the fifth season...

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#22 2015-11-03 00:44:41

Panda

This will probably be unpopular but lately it's been (and I'm ducking), game shows. Family Feud in particular.    ops

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today a gift...
That's why they call it the present"

― Master Oogway

#23 2015-11-03 08:25:02

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Panda wrote:

This will probably be unpopular but lately it's been (and I'm ducking), game shows.

No disagreement from me; probably won't be very popular on this forum.  Still, there has to be some reason Feud, Wheel, and Jeopardy continue to get massive advertising dollars from sponsors.

Many of my favorite shows never became popular enough to survive for more than a season, if that long.  Level 9, VR.5, Space: Above and Beyond, Firefly...in fact, pick any show screwed by its network, there's a good chance I liked it.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules

#24 2015-11-03 12:58:08

Panda

pvsage wrote:

pick any show screwed by its network, there's a good chance I liked it.

Funny! It sure feels like that sometimes.   lol

It's puzzling who actually gets paid real money to make programming decisions. I really liked Space: Above and Beyond and the cancellation of Firefly ranks up there with all the great tragedies of recent human history(not really) but it did suck out loud .

Another recent and particular peeve of mine are the streaming services. Living in the country, we can't get cable and are forced into bondage to fork out 80.00 US for dish. Then, to see programming that Mrs. Panda and I like, we subscribe to Netflix and Hulu. In 2016, Amazon Prime will be producing a new show featuring the guys from the UK version of Top Gear (gotta have that) and CBS after premiering the new Star Trek series upon their network, will only air new episodes on their streaming service (gotta have that too!)

By next year, we'll be regurgitating close to 200.00 a month for home entertainment.

It's extortion!  tongue

Last edited by Panda (2015-11-03 12:59:16)

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today a gift...
That's why they call it the present"

― Master Oogway

#25 2015-11-04 01:47:56

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

There's a reason Jeopardy is one of the longest running shows on American television.

I sorely miss Top Gear and still watch the repeats. BBC of course, the US version is awful.

My jaw was on the floor the first time I saw Sherlock, but subsequent viewing has been hit or miss for me. Mostly because of Martin Freeman, I think, he is the same in every thing I see him in. Bilbo Watson.

The Muppets new mockumentary show has been lackluster so far, but I found a lot to laugh at tonight. Hopefully the writing will continue to improve. These are adult characters with adult problems now, so not for all ages anymore, which is a bit sad. On the plus side, hurray for comedies without laugh tracks.

I haven't seen a riveting episode of Frontline or Nova in quite a while, and I was STUNNED to see PBS broadcast a POS documentary on Orson Welles' 'War of the Worlds' that was full of lies and bad actors with dialog taken from historical documents, complete with period clothing and scratches added to the camera work. Boring and awful IMO, but judge for yourself...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16rnk … s_creation

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

Board footer