You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-14 13:04:21

Abdorhman Ayman

Can't install from USB stick (solved)

Hi, I downloaded BL using torrent, I checked sha256 and it matched, I burned my .iso file using Universal USB installer to a USB stick (from Windows), after booting I choose "graphical install", I set up my keyboard settings...bla bla, the installer then says that it can't mount my CD-ROM because there is no CD inside, and offers to retry! I'm not using a CD, I'm using a USB stick, can someone please help me?

note: I tried two USB sticks, both are Kingston and both are new!

respectfully

Last edited by Abdorhman Ayman (2016-10-14 18:14:20)

Remember that English is not the first language of many members.
always use simple English, avoid using a complex syntax.

#2 2016-10-14 15:15:10

mradovan

Re: Can't install from USB stick (solved)

Try with Unetbootin

#3 2016-10-14 15:20:59

damo
....moderator....

mradovan wrote:

Try with Unetbootin

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!  This has caused endless help requests.

Instead, use the instructions on the Installation page.... How to write a CD/DVD/BD image to a USB flash drive?, and simply use the 'cp' or 'dd' commands on a linux system, or use 'win32diskimager' on Windows.

Please note, that Debian advises not using "unetbootin" for this task. It can cause difficult-to-diagnose problems with booting and installing, so is not recommended.

Last edited by damo (2016-10-14 15:23:10)

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2016-10-14 15:23:44

Abdorhman Ayman

I read somewhere in BL website the Unetbootin can cause bugs in the installation.

P.S.: buying a DVD is not an option, because I already did it, I bought 3 DVDs and neither of them works! I live in Egypt and almost all of the computer products in this country is crap.

respectfully

#5 2016-10-14 16:58:50

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Abdorham, You are correct, follow Damo's advice above in post #3.  Tools like unetbootin and others are written for non-hybrid iso formats. BunsenLab uses a hybrid iso for the ability to boot from usb/blueray/dvd combinations.

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#6 2016-10-14 17:59:32

Abdorhman Ayman

damo wrote:
mradovan wrote:

Try with Unetbootin

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!  This has caused endless help requests.

Instead, use the instructions on the Installation page.... How to write a CD/DVD/BD image to a USB flash drive?, and simply use the 'cp' or 'dd' commands on a linux system, or use 'win32diskimager' on Windows.

Please note, that Debian advises not using "unetbootin" for this task. It can cause difficult-to-diagnose problems with booting and installing, so is not recommended.

I used Etcher, success! What an AWESOME app!

the issue with this doc is that it suggests using win32diskimager, which caused a flash USB stick of mine to be destroyed earlier! I used it to burn PC-BSD, they too has a documentation that suggests the same app! What happened is that the USB stick was then recognized by Windows as if it were 2MB, and recognized on linux as a 15.5GB but refused to copy/move/rename/delete/trash/change anything! then came bootice to the rescue smile but every time it helped me it actually caused it to lose 1GB in order to work for a few days, then I had to use Bootice again and lose another 1GB to gain another couple of days, this morning I was able to fix it using another method and I don't know if it gonna last or not,

also "dd" command caused many troubles to my USB stick with many distros before, bottom of the line is: I wanna edit the page to make it suggest only "cp" command and "Etcher", please note that Etcher is both cross-platform and open-source, it also verify the image after burning is complete, "No more writing images on corrupted cards and wondering why your device isn't booting." that what they say! And it's so easy to use as 1-2-3, it has a safety feature that prevents you from whipping you data off the wrong device/partition. what do you guys think?

coyotl (in https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=2036) says in reply #7:

coyotl wrote:

I don't use dd as it has destroyed 2 usb sticks for me and if it does not ruin them it can be a hassle to reformat again.

respectfully

Last edited by Abdorhman Ayman (2016-10-14 18:03:20)

#7 2016-10-14 18:01:03

Abdorhman Ayman

I know that my reply looks boring, sorry for that  tongue  tongue  big_smile

P.S.: this "50% faster burns" in Etcher website is not a hassle! I used Universal USB installer to burn BL on my brother's laptop which is very HIGH in resources and it took too long, then I used Etcher in my laptop which is an Acer aspire 3050 very LOW in resources and it took a few seconds! I'm not sure if that a good thing or a bad thing, though.

Last edited by Abdorhman Ayman (2016-10-14 18:11:57)

#8 2016-10-14 18:29:07

damo
....moderator....

^ Just to mention that I have used 'dd' a thousand times with no trouble. Any problems are probably due to the user tongue

#9 2016-10-14 19:02:27

Abdorhman Ayman

damo wrote:

^ Just to mention that I have used 'dd' a thousand times with no trouble. Any problems are probably due to the user tongue

umm, it not complicated, so there is nothing that could have gone wrong with me or "Coyotl", maybe it differs from one USB model/manufacturer to another? regarding the latter, if it causes troubles to 3 users out of every 10 users, then it should be replaced because there is already a good replacement (still waiting for others to confirm that), or maybe we can offer the user to use "dd" or "cp" as he/she liks but recommend to use Etcher, of course I'm assuming that Etcher will work for everyone, which - as said earlier - needs to be confirmed first.

respectfully

Last edited by Abdorhman Ayman (2016-10-14 19:03:51)

#10 2016-10-14 19:15:50

damo
....moderator....

Respectfully, BunsenLabs is based on Debian Stable (the iso is isohybrid), and Debian recommends 'dd' or 'cp'. These tools are present on every system, and are easy to use without requiring a third-party application and java dependencies.

Perhaps those users who can't get the Debian way to work can try the application that worked for you.

#11 2016-10-14 19:19:52

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

I'm not stepping into this one, but of course ALL options should be presented to any user. If one method doesn't work for someone, they yes another option/method should be made known. I wouldn't though remove the advice to use dd. The fact that it's so ubiquitous/well known and preinstalled on most distros, make it probably the first go to recommendation. Of course whatever other software that gets the job done should be promoted as well..

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#12 2016-10-14 19:46:54

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Personally I generally use Rufus from Windows, just make sure when it asks at the end to pick the "dd style" option to do the writing.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#13 2016-10-19 00:49:12

Abdorhman Ayman

damo wrote:

Respectfully, BunsenLabs is based on Debian Stable (the iso is isohybrid), and Debian recommends 'dd' or 'cp'. These tools are present on every system, and are easy to use without requiring a third-party application and java dependencies.

Perhaps those users who can't get the Debian way to work can try the application that worked for you.

just because Debian docs says something, that doesn't make it true.
regardless of "dd" and "cp", the main purpose of my suggestion to is to GET Win32imager OUT! it can cause a permanent distraction of the file system of a USB flash memory. just like it did to me.
and - of course - replace it with the suggestion of Etcher and Refus, as each one can success in the situation in which the other has failed.

#14 2016-10-19 00:52:22

Abdorhman Ayman

Horizon_Brave wrote:

I'm not stepping into this one, but of course ALL options should be presented to any user. If one method doesn't work for someone, they yes another option/method should be made known. I wouldn't though remove the advice to use dd. The fact that it's so ubiquitous/well known and preinstalled on most distros, make it probably the first go to recommendation. Of course whatever other software that gets the job done should be promoted as well..

well said  cool

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Personally I generally use Rufus from Windows, just make sure when it asks at the end to pick the "dd style" option to do the writing.

Thanks for introducing me to Refus smile but I never had to use DD style, I used the ISO style and it worked fine.

#15 2016-10-19 01:03:47

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Using the rufus defaults works for me with the 32 bit iso and not the 64 bit, which fails at "detect and mount cdrom" unless after choosing the iso file I pick to write the image to the stick "dd style".

I have in the past also had success using dd for Windows but it's not a tool I'd recommend to a typical Point-and-Click Windows user.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#16 2016-10-19 06:37:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Abdorhman Ayman wrote:

the main purpose of my suggestion to is to GET Win32imager OUT!

That advice derives from upstream.

You should report this as a bug in the Debian website guide.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

It was considered prudent to link directly to the upstream instructions and I agree with this decision.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#17 2016-10-19 12:17:14

Abdorhman Ayman

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Abdorhman Ayman wrote:

the main purpose of my suggestion to is to GET Win32imager OUT!

That advice derives from upstream.

You should report this as a bug in the Debian website guide.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

It was considered prudent to link directly to the upstream instructions and I agree with this decision.

it was my intention to report this to both Debian and PC-BSD maintainers, as soon as I have some time smile

I wanna discuses that with you, in general, do you think that following the same path of those who did the same thing before is a right thing to do? what if they did it wrong?

#18 2018-07-16 09:41:42

strop

Hello,
I'm dealing with the same problem. Already tried cp, dd, cat, as well as Etcher and the installation process still can't find the CD after choosing language. Any ideas, please?

#19 2019-05-07 01:42:45

trbinas

Abdorhman Ayman wrote:

Hi, I downloaded BL using torrent, I checked sha256 and it matched, I burned my .iso file using Universal USB installer to a USB stick (from Windows), after booting I choose "graphical install", I set up my keyboard settings...bla bla, the installer then says that it can't mount my CD-ROM because there is no CD inside, and offers to retry! I'm not using a CD, I'm using a USB stick, can someone please help me?

respectfully

I was seeking for the solution of that problem, and I found that we are able to use this syntax >>> mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom <<<< I think that syntax has function to change the sdb1 ( usb stick ) into CD-ROM , and after that , the "CD-ROM" is succeed to be detected. And The installation process is full succeed , but the new problem has come, that the all usb storage can't be mount, with the information >>>

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdb1: Command-line `mount "/media/cdrom0"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,       missing codepage or helper program, or other error       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try       dmesg | tail or so.
. <<<<<   is there anyone who knows how to fix that problem ???

#20 2019-05-07 04:49:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ have you followed the installation instructions?
especially the point "How to write a CD/DVD/BD image to a USB flash drive?"

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-05-07 04:49:45)

#21 2019-05-10 01:17:11

trbinas

^^^
And is there any way to fix the unmounted sdb1 problem that's caused by " mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom " ? , beside to reinstall the linux, in a proper way.

#22 2019-07-15 17:56:00

brogild

Abdorhman Ayman wrote:

respectfully

There's a fairly simple way around this which seems to work on many machines, and I haven't seen it mentioned here, which is to unplug the USB stick when the prompt comes up and then plug it back in again (give the machine a few seconds to recognise it). On searching for the CDROM again, it carries on with the installation.
I've seen explanations for why this is but TBH I'm not too bothered as it's a hardware glitch.

Are there any plans to offer an alternative to the Debian installer? I'm fairly ok with it, especially as it enables me to install to a raid environment, but this glitch seems to come up fairly regularly - also I would like to be able to put bunsenlabs onto a multiboot USB, and the USB fix I've mentioned here doesn't work with that.

Last edited by brogild (2019-07-15 17:56:25)

Board footer