You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-12 17:20:24

seppalta
Website

unable to read link '/etc/alternatives/bl-file-manager'

I am trying to set-up the bl-alternates in another Debian-based distribution.  Coping the appropriate files from Bunsenlabs works except for one thing:  I cannot choose an alternate.  Keep getting "unable to read link '/etc/alternatives/... when I use "update-alternatives" and, although galternatives shows the bl-alternatives on the alternative list, clicking a name does nothing.  So how can I get "readable" bl-alternative files for /etc/alternatives?  The files that I copied there are readable, writeable and executable.

#2 2015-10-12 17:34:47

damo
....moderator....

Re: unable to read link '/etc/alternatives/bl-file-manager'

seppalta wrote:

...  Keep getting "unable to read link '/etc/alternatives/... when I use "update-alternatives" ..

So where does that link point to on your system? It should tell you what you need to put there.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2015-10-13 02:28:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Also, are you sure you copied the files into the correct locations? If it's a Debian-based system you could install the bunsen-configs debian package. That will put everything in the right place and run the necessary alternatives commands to set it up. The disadvantage is that it will install a lot of other things too...

Maybe some day we might consider separating the bl-alternatives setup into a different package.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4 2015-10-13 05:33:54

seppalta
Website

Thank you, John, for the quick response.  Also, thanks for a nice distribution.  It is apparent that you have put a lot of attention to the needs of the end-user; I think the best to date
for an openbox distro.  I will try the Bunsen configs Debian package later in a Sparky Linux install.  Since I already have x-www-browser, x-terminal-emulator and gnome-text-editor as generic apps in this set-up, I really do not need the bl-alternatives.  Just curious if I could get them by coping the bl-alternatives packages, but probably missed one.

Board footer