You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-12 17:20:24

seppalta
Website

unable to read link '/etc/alternatives/bl-file-manager'

I am trying to set-up the bl-alternates in another Debian-based distribution.  Coping the appropriate files from Bunsenlabs works except for one thing:  I cannot choose an alternate.  Keep getting "unable to read link '/etc/alternatives/... when I use "update-alternatives" and, although galternatives shows the bl-alternatives on the alternative list, clicking a name does nothing.  So how can I get "readable" bl-alternative files for /etc/alternatives?  The files that I copied there are readable, writeable and executable.

#2 2015-10-12 17:34:47

damo
....moderator....

Re: unable to read link '/etc/alternatives/bl-file-manager'

seppalta wrote:

...  Keep getting "unable to read link '/etc/alternatives/... when I use "update-alternatives" ..

So where does that link point to on your system? It should tell you what you need to put there.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2015-10-13 02:28:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Also, are you sure you copied the files into the correct locations? If it's a Debian-based system you could install the bunsen-configs debian package. That will put everything in the right place and run the necessary alternatives commands to set it up. The disadvantage is that it will install a lot of other things too...

Maybe some day we might consider separating the bl-alternatives setup into a different package.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2015-10-13 05:33:54

seppalta
Website

Thank you, John, for the quick response.  Also, thanks for a nice distribution.  It is apparent that you have put a lot of attention to the needs of the end-user; I think the best to date
for an openbox distro.  I will try the Bunsen configs Debian package later in a Sparky Linux install.  Since I already have x-www-browser, x-terminal-emulator and gnome-text-editor as generic apps in this set-up, I really do not need the bl-alternatives.  Just curious if I could get them by coping the bl-alternatives packages, but probably missed one.

Board footer