You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-29 08:01:43

KrunchTime
Member
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 857

Love the Forum Features

Two things I've noticed in my short time using the forums:

01) You are told how many seconds before you can post again instead of just being told you can't post more than once within a 60 second period.

02) Ability to change forum GUI.

Very, very nice.  Hats off to whoever worked on getting the forums up and running.

20151001-01 edit:  Just noticed the list of moderators for each forum.  Nice touch!

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-10-02 02:41:45)

Offline

#2 2015-09-29 10:25:59

Unia
Octo-portal-pussy
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 355
Website

Re: Love the Forum Features

That'd be twoion wink


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Offline

#3 2015-09-29 12:46:14

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,902

Re: Love the Forum Features

The timeout display is not my doing…probably just a feature of a newer version of FluxBB.

As for the theme, I thought that some people would probably prefer using a darker style smile


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#4 2015-09-29 12:47:25

Narmo
Bad Wolf
From: Poland
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 53

Re: Love the Forum Features

Yep but we have also a green theme *.* Love green things smile

Offline

#5 2015-09-29 12:50:45

nore
>2⁹
From: squirrels' nest
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 507

Re: Love the Forum Features

And there are contrasted themes too.. if you can see, where to choose them. glasses Air2 is my favourite.

Offline

#6 2015-09-29 13:12:21

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,902

Re: Love the Forum Features

nore wrote:

And there are contrasted themes too.. if you can see, where to choose them. glasses Air2 is my favourite.

Yeah…that's the default FluxBB theme big_smile Both Hydrogen and the dark CB theme are obviously derived from it.


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#7 2015-09-29 13:26:29

nore
>2⁹
From: squirrels' nest
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 507

Re: Love the Forum Features

Defaults are often practical, no-nonsense design. Hipsters can squint with their light-gray-on-bright-white if they like.

Offline

#8 2015-09-29 16:39:20

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,230
Website

Re: Love the Forum Features

I am also loving the new forum software and twoion's implementation, it's fantastic. So much faster, I'm finding the Earth theme ultra-calming, and the preview button takes you to the preview!

Online

#9 2015-09-29 16:45:26

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,902

Re: Love the Forum Features

To be honest I'm not even using the theme I designed myself smile I'm using Mercury.


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#10 2015-09-29 17:08:22

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,237

Re: Love the Forum Features

I'm using Cobalt - I like the blue.

My hat's off for twoion


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#11 2015-09-29 17:49:29

pingu
Member
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 128

Re: Love the Forum Features

the cobalt is just what I have int the arch forum too smile

Last edited by pingu (2015-09-29 17:49:42)


"Chuck Norris can compile syntax errors."

Offline

#12 2015-09-29 23:02:38

redcollective
Member
From: The Wilds
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 111

Re: Love the Forum Features

I couldn't help but revert to the crunchbang forum theme.

Red


Knowledge Ferret

Offline

#13 2015-09-29 23:17:22

photonucleon
Thursday
From: out of that impossible sky
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 297

Re: Love the Forum Features

I'm sticking with the Hydrogen theme.

I'm such a rebel. tongue


The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

Offline

#14 2015-09-29 23:22:24

lowrider
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 284

Re: Love the Forum Features

redcollective wrote:

I couldn't help but revert to the crunchbang forum theme.

Red

yes, me too

Offline

#15 2015-09-30 00:42:46

ututo
Member
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 281

Re: Love the Forum Features

lowrider wrote:
redcollective wrote:

I couldn't help but revert to the crunchbang forum theme.

Red

yes, me too

I think I'll follow you
656.jpg
...naaahh

I'm sticking with the Hydrogen theme too! Loving it!


BunsenLabs on deviantArt
Don't touch my git!

Offline

#16 2015-09-30 07:02:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: Love the Forum Features

photonucleon wrote:

I'm sticking with the Hydrogen theme.

+1

It's fresh.


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#17 2015-09-30 11:22:37

redcollective
Member
From: The Wilds
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 111

Re: Love the Forum Features

Just putting in a pitch here for the CB theme being the default in the bunsen forums (not suggesting for a moment that you take away any of the lovely themes a user could choose to switch too btw):

Continuity and familiarity: having the CB theme as default in the bunsen forums  would provide comforting reassurance for folk coming from the old crunchbang forums that they'd entered a place rooted in the history, philosophy and espirit de corps of Crunchbang.

There ends my pitch - short and sweet. smile

red


Knowledge Ferret

Offline

#18 2015-09-30 11:49:03

Zill
Member
From: Lincolnshire, UK
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 23

Re: Love the Forum Features

hhh wrote:

I am also loving the new forum software and twoion's implementation, it's fantastic. So much faster, I'm finding the Earth theme ultra-calming, and the preview button takes you to the preview!

Maybe this is just me being daft but what preview button?  On my Profile>Display page I can only see a "Submit" button. hmm

Offline

#19 2015-09-30 11:55:37

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,237

Re: Love the Forum Features

redcollective wrote:

Continuity and familiarity: having the CB theme as default in the bunsen forums  would provide comforting reassurance for folk coming from the old crunchbang forums that they'd entered a place rooted in the history, philosophy and espirit de corps of Crunchbang.

That makes for a very strong argument.  And I understand the logic.  There is another train of thought though.

All of the regular #! users know about BunsenLabs.  So these people already know that they have "entered a place rooted in the history, philosophy and espirit de corps of Crunchbang".

BunsenLabs must learn to stand on it's own merit, grow, change and look ahead, not back. corenominal gave us a template that stemmed from #! rooted in Ubuntu, then Debian and each release brought changes, and a fury of tweaking by the users themselves. Some just superficial changes they can see on the monitor, others deeply rooted changes to the system itself.

In the near future, we will have new users that have never experienced #!. They will think of BunsenLabs in the way I originally though of #!.

YEA!  This is for me!

Or I should say, that's what I like to think.


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#20 2015-09-30 12:14:26

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist
From: Quesnel BC Canada
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 225

Re: Love the Forum Features

I have to go along with what redcollective said about the forum theme. (even though it's easy enough to change)

I understand "BunsenLabs must learn to stand on it's own merit" and it will, but honouring it's roots in #! with the #! theme as default would not take anything away from that.

Food for thought.

Last edited by Anaconda (2015-09-30 12:15:45)


“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

Offline

#21 2015-09-30 12:22:19

redcollective
Member
From: The Wilds
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 111

Re: Love the Forum Features

Sector11 wrote:

BunsenLabs must learn to stand on it's own merit, grow, change and look ahead, not back.

Yes, very true -  and another compelling argument well said.


Knowledge Ferret

Offline

#22 2015-09-30 12:50:46

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,230
Website

Re: Love the Forum Features

redcollective wrote:

Just putting in a pitch here for the CB theme being the default in the bunsen forums

In terms of finding out that this forum has multiple themes, this isn't a great idea. You come here from the #! forums, "Agg! Bright!", you search for or ask about the preference.

Online

#23 2015-09-30 21:05:36

phle
Member
From: Svedujo
Registered: 2015-09-19
Posts: 19

Re: Love the Forum Features

hhh wrote:

In terms of finding out that this forum has multiple themes, this isn't a great idea. You come here from the #! forums, "Agg! Bright!", you search for or ask about the preference.

Also, the BunsenLabs Forums not per default being a more-or-less exact copy of the CrunchBang Forums is a neat reminder that it's not a CrunchBang copy - but rather a CrunchBang successor based on the ideas of tinkering-happy #! Forums members.

(Btw, did I tell you that I like the tint2 & Conky Choosers? They're great for experimenting! smile )


as of 2020-Jun-08:  Bunsenlabs 10 "Lithium" (RC3)  (and BunsenLabs 9.8 "Helium", and Windows 8.1) on mainly-at-home  (64-bit UEFI; defunct battery)  |  64-bit Windows 10 on carry-around  || TypeMatrix 2030 USB (blank) + "skin",  Logitech Marble Mouse USB,  Logitech B105
¤  Se vi scivolas: Mi estas ina.  ¤  (Mi provas lerni E-on, sed ankoraŭ ne majstri ĝin.) ¤

Offline

#24 2015-09-30 22:23:50

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,237

Re: Love the Forum Features

phle wrote:

(Btw, did I tell you that I like the tint2 & Conky Choosers? They're great for experimenting! smile )

You can thank damo for those. wink


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#25 2015-10-01 01:05:30

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard
From: Around the Bend
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 1,029

Re: Love the Forum Features

phle wrote:
hhh wrote:

In terms of finding out that this forum has multiple themes, this isn't a great idea. You come here from the #! forums, "Agg! Bright!", you search for or ask about the preference.

Also, the BunsenLabs Forums not per default being a more-or-less exact copy of the CrunchBang Forums is a neat reminder that it's not a CrunchBang copy - but rather a CrunchBang successor based on the ideas of tinkering-happy #! Forums members.

(Btw, did I tell you that I like the tint2 & Conky Choosers? They're great for experimenting! smile )

Wait til you find out what bl-alternatives can do for you. I switched out Thunar for pcmanfm and it's like woo-hoo! The system understands the change in preference.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB