You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-18 01:48:37

perchslayer
Website

Support for Python 3.5.1

I am in need of the ability to use Python 3.5 and Debian Jessie only supports Python 3.4. Python 3.5.1 is a fundamental dependency of Django (the Python-based) web framework and I keenly wish to get on with it.

I went and looked and saw that it was released on December 6th, 2015. And so while it is indeed not quite yet a year old, it is something I desperately need in my "plan". And so would my best course of action to find another distro to ride on? Or are there other alternatives?

Thanks.

Roland Shield
Grill Jockey, Lounge Maven, Unrepentant Agitator
ass.clown@perchslayer.com | "...'ere I am, J.H."

#2 2016-09-18 01:52:48

perchslayer
Website

Re: Support for Python 3.5.1

As a reference, I wish to add the following thread I have read on this subject:Debian Forum on the question of Python 3.5

BTW, not only is Python 3.5 needed for Django, it is the earliest version that supports virtual environments.

Roland Shield
Grill Jockey, Lounge Maven, Unrepentant Agitator
ass.clown@perchslayer.com | "...'ere I am, J.H."

#4 2016-09-18 06:50:46

twoion
ほやほや

Debian jessie probably won't move to Python 3.5.

It is completely safe to compile and install Python 3.5 by yourself into a different prefix, for example /opt/python3.5.1, and use virtualenv or similar tools for managing the 'active' Python version. This does not affect or upgrade the system Python. See https://docs.python.org/3/using/unix.html.

Another way would be to use systemd-nspawn for a lightweight container environment that has Python 3.5.1 by making it run Ubuntu Xenial or Debian Stretch. The same can be achieved with LXC (which I personally prefer). VMs via qemu-kvm are also easy to do.

You might also consider switching to Ubuntu Xenial which has Python 3.5.1 by default, without required extra work. The point here is to choose the best tools for the job at hand, and if you find that the majority of your core work/leisure tools need extra time investements into getting them to run in the version you require on Debian Stable/BL, then using a platform that readily provides them might save you these investments. Tools like LXC and systemd-nspawn make it possible to have those different userlands on your current system (using the same kernel) without interfering with the main system. Virtual machines seperate your main and auxiliary systems even more, and installing the other platform – Xenial, OpenSuSE, whatever you need – on bare metal is a third way to go.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#5 2016-09-18 06:54:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

You might also consider switching to Ubuntu Xenial which has Python 3.5.1 by default, without required extra work. The point here is to choose the best tools for the job at hand, and if you find that the majority of your core work/leisure tools need extra time investements into getting them to run in the version you require on Debian Stable/BL, then using a platform that readily provides them might save you these investments.

this.

Board footer