You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-14 20:30:05

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Login Process Variant Flow Charts

Hi all...so having a free copy of Visio and some time to burn, I made up three flow chart diagrams that take a high level over view of what the process is, and what files are sourced and what programs are ran during the distinct login attempts.

1. Login via Console
2. Start X via Startx (already logged in)
3. Login / Start X / using Display Manager

I think these three methods are he main methods of how 90% of us actually open our linux sessions?

If anyone here finds the information in the charts, incomplete, or want to add anything please please feel free, or post here and let me know what I should add. There's a definite limit to how much I can reasonably fit, but there's plenty of space left for now, so if you have any suggestions please post here.

DM_login.png

login.png

startx_login.png

All in all what do you guys think?

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#2 2016-09-15 06:22:23

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Login Process Variant Flow Charts

how is this information generated?

#3 2016-09-15 06:59:37

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

ohnonot wrote:

how is this information generated?

Manually, from the looks of it. Because it doesn't include a lot of things: all of PAM interaction, to begin with.

#4 2016-09-15 19:25:43

Horizon_Brave

definitely manual... aka, hunting around various sources online. Debian Admin book, arch wiki, freeopendesktop etc... Like I said, any pointers on how to improve and flesh it out would be great! I'll obviously have to widen the images a bit, and clean it up, to make them all more uniform.  Would digging into the whole PAM authentication be a good next step to add?

#5 2016-09-15 21:43:10

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I can't comment on what are good things to expand this with, or what may introduce confusion, as I don't understand the process myself, however I would like to understand it, as understanding the process tree between lightdm saying "OK GO!" and the openbox autoruns getting called would help me with a troubleshooting task I have on hand ( I haven't asked for assistance yet, still doing my "due diligence").

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#6 2016-09-15 22:08:52

Horizon_Brave

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

I can't comment on what are good things to expand this with, or what may introduce confusion, as I don't understand the process myself, however I would like to understand it, as understanding the process tree between lightdm saying "OK GO!" and the openbox autoruns getting called would help me with a troubleshooting task I have on hand ( I haven't asked for assistance yet, still doing my "due diligence").

My thoughts exactly. But please do make suggestions about what I could branch out on. With out combined ignorance of the process we can fill in the gaps smile  So far I have a night of reading about PAM ahead of me tongue

Board footer