You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-11 15:15:05

ohnonot
...again
Website

Which tools to create my own "cloud", Android-compatible?

I would like to access my home server from my android phone via mobile broadband.

now, from my linux laptop i can use ssh & sshfs, problem solved.
i have done this, actually with the very same mobile broadband data sim.

it is not impossible to have that on android, too, but in my searches i came across many alternatives.
right now it seems i am just holding on to one way of doing things, because it's the only way i know...

what would you recommend to achieve my goal?
requirements:

• direct connection from my phone to my LAMP server (an old laptop sitting next to my router)

• FOSS

• no funny stuff like creating accounts with someone providing some service or other

• private. this is for me only.

the files are mostly media, but some other stuff, too, so a media streaming server would only be part of the solution.
but i'd prefer something like sshfs, because i can just use the files as if they were local and don't have to worry about streaming protocols and what sort of files and what programs i use on the server or the client.

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-10-11 15:15:37)

#2 2015-10-11 15:25:16

twoion
ほやほや

Re: Which tools to create my own "cloud", Android-compatible?

DNS

If you don't have a static public IP, you need to publish it somwehow. Besides proprietary services like dyndns, you can use a DNS provider like INWX who provide you with API access to your DNS entries: On your server, run a script which every 1s checks the server's public IP, and if it changed, updates the DNS A/AAAA record for myhomeserver.mysecretdomain.com or something.

Data transfer

ES File Explorer allows you to access devices via SFTP (FTP-over-SSH) including public key authentication which gives you sshfs-like behaviour.

Services

CalDAV, CardDAV sync plus data store = Owncloud.

There's an OwnCloud app for Android. CalDAV+CardDAV sync (=calendar and todo-lists, contacts) can be set up easily using DAVDroid (FOSS, donations are appreciated).

You need to get a SSL cert for accessing the web interface. Use https://startssl.com/ or better yet https://letsencrypt.org/ for free SSL certs, but you have to wait for the latter. Or buy one, they're not that expensive (but annoyingly expensive for what they are, still).

--
Just some random ideas. Personally, I use DAVDroid and Baikal for contacts + calendar sync and SFTP for file transfer. However my server has a static IP.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#3 2015-10-11 16:39:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:
DNS

my ip address hasn't changed in almost a year, so i guess it's pretty static, and i don't have any use for a dns right now... everything's been working fine just by accessing the ip directly.

Data transfer

ES File Explorer allows you to access devices via SFTP (FTP-over-SSH) including public key authentication which gives you sshfs-like behaviour.

i have seen that. i'd still need to set up an sftp server, i guess. i'm just wondering if other apps can also see the files then, or only es file explorer?

Services

There's an OwnCloud app for Android. CalDAV+CardDAV sync (=calendar and todo-lists, contacts) can be set up easily using DAVDroid (FOSS, donations are appreciated).

calendar sync is not so important for me.
but owncloud looks interesting; i thought it was a registration/commercial cloud service, but i can just download it and use it? but doen't it call home just like google apps do?

You need to get a SSL cert for accessing the web interface. Use https://startssl.com/ or better yet https://letsencrypt.org/ for free SSL certs, but you have to wait for the latter. Or buy one, they're not that expensive (but annoyingly expensive for what they are, still).

do i need that to run owncloud, or the calendar stuff, or both?
are you saying owncloud isn't safe/private enough otherwise?

#4 2015-10-11 17:12:42

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

i have seen that. i'd still need to set up an sftp server, i guess. i'm just wondering if other apps can also see the files then, or only es file explorer?

That's the beauty, you only need a SSH server running!

Services

calendar sync is not so important for me.
but owncloud looks interesting; i thought it was a registration/commercial cloud service, but i can just download it and use it? but doen't it call home just like google apps do?

OwnCloud doesn't phone home, and it's 100% FOSS.

do i need that to run owncloud, or the calendar stuff, or both?
are you saying owncloud isn't safe/private enough otherwise?

Owncloud is being accessed via HTTP, including authentication. If you access your instance from a public network/mobile network, you'd want that communication to happen encrypted. HTTPS does just that. You can also use a self-signed SSL cert (free, free choice of key length, etc) but you'd need to add it to your Android's certificate store because otherwise it'd be considered "untrusted".

You could also try using SSH exclusively: On your Android, install a SSH client and establish a connection to your home server, forwarding port 80 to say port 8080 on your phone, and access the owncloud interface this way (ssh -NL 80:localhost:8080 youruser@yourserver on the desktop), having bound owncloud to listen only on the loopback interface. The question is whether there's a way to do this transparently for Android applications, like the owncloud app.

#5 2015-10-11 17:47:06

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

i trust your word on that.

anyhoo, i have something to do now. thanks, it was helpful.

#6 2015-10-11 19:26:51

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

That's the beauty, you only need a SSH server running!

this is genius.
listening to music from my server now (it even has a built-in media player), with secure authentication!

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-10-11 19:27:29)

#7 2015-10-11 20:19:12

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:
twoion wrote:

i trust your word on that.

Please don't, I haven't audited their code.

#8 2015-10-11 21:59:59

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ well, seeing your contributions, i'd say coming from you that recommendation means something.
i trust that you have good reason to believe that, and you don't strike me as a bigmouth.

so, if you were just being a bigmouth, now's the time to tell me.  glasses

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-10-12 06:29:34)

#9 2015-10-12 20:57:45

ohnonot
...again
Website

and that is when they became silent...

#10 2015-10-12 21:03:45

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

What are you implying? I'm the first to admit that I've no idea what I'm doing, everytime everywhere.

60997491.jpg

#11 2015-10-12 21:44:51

hhh
That's it!
Website

Ha ha! That cat's doing science-y stuff!

#12 2015-10-12 22:45:26

twoion
ほやほや

hhh wrote:

Ha ha! That cat's doing science-y stuff!

Mouse divided by Cheese is like dividing by zero, but the inverse

d.png-1.png

makes sense again because when a cheese is being divided by a mouse, the result is definitely something real, err, ℝeal I mean, of course.

Good thing that this thread is in the off-topic forum, eh.

#13 2015-10-13 05:35:29

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion, i wasn't implying anything.

i just thought that the statements
"OwnCloud doesn't phone home, and it's 100% FOSS"
and
"Please don't, I haven't audited their code"
needed a little extra clarification.

i'm not asking you to commit to or take responsibility for anything, but maybe that's what you thought and that's why you didn't provide that clarification.

in any case, i'm thankful for your pointers.
ES File Manger is epic and does 90% of what i stated in post #1.

Board footer