You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-27 19:16:43

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Openstack on Bunsen?

Hey everyone.  So I'll be put on a new project at work, that will involve some heavy work with OpenStack, in particular the Nova,Neutron, Heat, Orchestra and the gui dashboard.  We'll be using the Kilo release, which is a more current version, so the acceptance from Ma Deb may be a bit iffy. So I wanted to download and setup a install of OpenStack Kilo to at least get my feet wet with it.  Does anyone have any experience installing it on Bunsen or at the very least one of the Ma Deb variants?  What do you do with it? Is it for productivity or for leisurely usage?  I'm not looking for any really intensive work, but just to   
play around with the networking and connectivity.  Anyone on here do something similar?

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#2 2016-07-27 20:42:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Openstack on Bunsen?

This is for Newton, does that help?
http://docs.openstack.org/draft/install-guide-debconf/

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-07-27 21:33:23

Horizon_Brave

It should! I don't think there should be *too* much difference between Newton and Kilo. Because our is a production setup, I suppose we secured a release that is a bit less bleeding edge.  Do you have any personal experience with Openstack HoaS?  I honestly can't think of a use case for an individual to really deploy it, at home? So this, for me is purely training.

#4 2016-07-27 21:34:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:

Do you have any personal experience with Openstack HoaS?

I don't even know what it is...
lol

EDIT: Is this more container hype like Docker?

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-07-27 21:36:05)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#5 2016-07-27 21:48:55

Horizon_Brave

Haha, yes more container and virualization and cloud...Just think of the buzzwords that were flying around in the meeting room I was in...  I will admit Openstack has proven it's merit, but it's just so "trendy" I get headaches from the amount of industry hype around it... Buzzwords abound.

#6 2016-07-28 03:45:53

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:

Hey everyone.  So I'll be put on a new project at work, that will involve some heavy work with OpenStack, in particular the Nova,Neutron, Heat, Orchestra and the gui dashboard.  We'll be using the Kilo release, which is a more current version, so the acceptance from Ma Deb may be a bit iffy. So I wanted to download and setup a install of OpenStack Kilo to at least get my feet wet with it.  Does anyone have any experience installing it on Bunsen or at the very least one of the Ma Deb variants?  What do you do with it? Is it for productivity or for leisurely usage?  I'm not looking for any really intensive work, but just to   
play around with the networking and connectivity.  Anyone on here do something similar?

Use a minimal Ubuntu or plain Debian or CentOS for a(ny) production server deployment. BL is not targeted at servers, and if you remove the desktop layer, it's just Debian anyway. Personally, I'd deploy OpenStack in an LXC container (if it supports doing that) if you insist running it on your desktop machine so you can run on a supported userland. There is an install guide for Ubuntu 14.04 so I suggest you use

lxc-create -n os1 -t ubuntu -- -r trusty

and go from there. There is little benefit to go against the default way of doing things when doing complex deployments except for when you know exactly what your're gaining, and by using BL instead of 14.04 you IMO gain nothing.

Board footer