You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-09 05:22:59

JasonMehmel

Lenovo T410 choppy behaviour

Hi all,

(I saw the other Lenovo T410 post, but that seemed to have a lot of conversations going. I though it'd be simpler to break this one out into it's own thread. I can more this to the other 410 thread if the mods desire.)

Back on the #! forum, I was talking about a laggy system I was experiencing, mostly while using Chrome. I often have a lot of tabs open, and a lot of those a Google Drive and Google Docs pages, occasionally with some social media or these forums.

That was when I was still running #! Waldorf.

Now I'm running BL, and I'm finding the problem is back / still there. In that original post, I was blaming it on Google Chrome, and indeed Chrome is the bulk of what's clogging my memory and swap. (As I'm typing this, I've got 2.11 of 3.67 GB of memory, 1.25 of swap, mostly by Chrome.

When I get close to 85% memory capacity, things start really grinding. The whole thing freezes while it processes, especially if I've got something that requires a bit more power like a complicated PDF or GIMP or something.

All of this is preamble to ask for some help. Anyone experience this behaviour? Are there any logs I could check or tests I could run?

Is it possible that it's the hardware, stuck with a crappy hard drive or RAM or something, that's creating a choke point in the hardware that isn't fixable in software? It's a theory I don't know how to check for.

Fortune favours the bold.
A BL-hopeful
Asus Zenbook UX330

#2 2015-10-09 05:34:24

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Re: Lenovo T410 choppy behaviour

One you get swappy, things will tend to slow down considerably. Your options are to either use a more lightweight browser or keep less tabs open, lol.

#3 2015-10-09 06:19:10

JasonMehmel

I guess I figured with an i5 dual core and 4 G of RAM, I wouldn't hit the capacity so quickly.

Not like it's the best machine ever, though.

Fortune favours the bold.
A BL-hopeful
Asus Zenbook UX330

#4 2015-10-09 06:53:57

redcollective

This isn't an OS issue AFAIK.

Chrome does use more memory than other browsers, because of the way it allocates memory to every tab and how it manages processes associated with tabs and browsers extensions. I don't understand the guts of it, but it is supposed to ensure for example, that a wayward process in one tab doesn't bring down the whole browser.

If you are a heavy tabs user this advice is going to go to be a bitter pill: Minimise tabs open, and remove non essential browser extensions. Ad blockers in particular have a bad reputation for chewing resource. I personally use uBlock Origin now, which appears to have a lighter footprint.

red

Knowledge Ferret

#5 2015-10-09 07:12:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

redcollective wrote:

Chrome does use more memory than other browsers, because of the way it allocates memory to every tab and how it manages processes associated with tabs and browsers extensions.

^ This.

Google-Chrome sandboxes every tab so each one is effectively a separate running instance.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Board footer