You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-08 17:45:38

tranjeeshan

[SOLVED] Searching a particular file from a large pile of open files

This is a cross-post from CrunchBang forum. I asked this question in #! forum and got the intended answer from @pvsage. I thought this might be helpful for anyone out there using bunsenlabs.

tranjeeshan wrote:

Hi,
Suppose, I have opened 15 or 20 files consisting of a couple of PDFs, folders, documents, web browsers etc. Now if I want to easily and instantly pop-up a particular file from these opened files, how would I do that in bunsenlabs? I know the

Alt+Tab

behavior. Is there a fast way of searching for open file? In Unity, I can just start typing the name and that particular file would pop-up from the crowd. It is that easy in Unity. Can openbox do that? That would be great.

With thanks,
tranjeeshan

Last edited by tranjeeshan (2015-10-08 17:56:36)

"Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity."  - Dennis Ritchie (1941-2011), Unix Co-Creator
Unix philosophy

#2 2015-10-08 17:47:16

tranjeeshan

Re: [SOLVED] Searching a particular file from a large pile of open files

Answer courtesy: @pvsage

pvsage wrote:

Super-Tab brings up the task list.  If each open window begins with a different letter, the moment you type that letter, you're there; if there are more than one beginning with the same character, repeating that character will cycle through just those.

"Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity."  - Dennis Ritchie (1941-2011), Unix Co-Creator
Unix philosophy

#3 2015-10-08 17:52:50

tranjeeshan

tranjeeshan wrote:

That's what I was searching for! Thanks. Is it openbox specific or Xfce? Does this feature available in any other DE?

Unix philosophy

#4 2015-10-08 17:54:14

tranjeeshan

pvsage wrote:

From the default Wheezy rc.xml:

<keybind key="W-Tab">
      <action name="ShowMenu">
        <menu>client-list-combined-menu</menu>
      </action>
    </keybind>

ShowMenu and client-list-combined-menu are clearly a native OpenBox action and object; not sure if there's an equivalent in XFCE or not.

Unix philosophy

Board footer