You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-17 02:38:32

bra10n

Bunsenlabs and Openbox on Intel PC on Stick

uuwJuqY.jpg?2

I think it would be magic to run Bunsenlabs on an Intel SOC. Unfortunately none of the iso's available are recognised at boot (is this because they are hybridISO's?). The only iso I've found that supports the WIFI/BT/Audio hardware is this hand-crafted Ubuntu version. But unity on a minimal hardware... really?

I did manage to hack the older 14.04 Ubuntu image and replace d/e with openbox but...
I did manage to install 16.04 and then update the missing kernel hardware drivers via .deb pkgs...

But in the end none of this is Bunsenlabs + Debian + Community now is it?

#2 2016-06-17 03:15:32

hhh
Meep!
Website

#3 2016-06-17 06:56:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Bunsenlabs and Openbox on Intel PC on Stick

bra10n wrote:

none of the iso's available are recognised at boot (is this because they are hybridISO's?)

Probably just basic hardware incompatibility with the old kernel that BL uses.

I would try Arch on that -- they have kernel 4.6.2 and that should work well with 6th generation Intel hardware.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#4 2016-06-17 07:20:55

bra10n

Hi HoS,

I can get quite a few distros to boot but not had any success with BL. I don't see this to be a kernel issue and why I hinted at the iso 'format' if that makes sense. There isn't a kernel that supports the wifi/audio/bluetooth on this device OOTB so it is tedious to get any distro functional if it isn't an Ian Morrison hand-crafted iso.

If I there was a way to install BL Hydrogen onto the stick then I could install the driver blobs required via .debs files.

A link if any are interested;

https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-06-17 19:56:34)

#5 2016-06-17 19:55:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

bra10n wrote:

I can get quite a few distros to boot but not had any success with BL.

Which kernel versions were they using?

Not many distributions are based on Debian jessie, it is a connoisseurs choice smile

bra10n wrote:

the iso 'format' if that makes sense

Not really hmm

Most distributions make use of isohybrid type ISO images (Debian and Arch included) so I don't see why that would be an issue.

#6 2016-06-17 21:25:53

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

I once had the same problem trying to install PClinux on a "too new at the time" core i7 with gtx285. Other systems with newer kernels worked so I figured it was worth trying a remaster of PClinux with newer kernel, firmware,  grafix drivers etc.

The bootable iso I made from the remaster worked fine. Problem solved.

Someplace on our forums there is a thread about remastering Bunsen. I would say if you really want use Bunsen on this thing and you have some spare time to fool around that is worth a shot.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#7 2016-06-17 22:16:25

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@OP:  Try here: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … 64/iso-cd/
It's an "unofficial" netinstall image of Stretch with nonfree-firmware support.  If it boots and the installer doesn't give you any "missing firmware" errors, you should be able to build a Bunsen-y Stretch using the Hydrogen build scripts posted elsewhere on this forum.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#8 2016-06-18 10:23:29

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ It is important to note that Debian testing/unstable are development branches rather than official releases and may be expected to break without warning at any time along with continual API changes that will need constant re-jigging of configuration files to maintain normal functionality.

See this link for more on the differences between Debian stable and the development branches:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=531279#p531279

Having said that, if you really want to use Debian then sid is probably your best bet -- just use btrfs as your flesystem and make a snapshot before every `dist-upgrade` big_smile

#9 2016-06-19 04:35:32

bra10n

Anaconda wrote:

...The bootable iso I made from the remaster worked fine. Problem solved.

Good suggestion. Thanks.

The foremost hurdle to overcome is just getting the stick to recognise debian.

Board footer