You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-13 23:41:18

x4OUBg

hard reboot now can't login with that user

running version 3.16.0-4-amd64 as a vm

today i executed a .mp4 file and the os rebooted out of nowhere. then i couldn't login with that user. the gui screen prompted fine. but just looped. if i purposely entered the incorrect pw, the error message popped up as expected, invalid password. so it accepts the correct pw but the gui prompt won't follow through on login.

i booted in rescue mode. changed pw for user and also created another user. same issue with a new pw, can't login although with the new user i was able to login via gui. i can't ssh with old user either but can with new user.

i guess when it hard rebooted on error with that .mp4 file it scrubbed something on my account? files seem intact on the /home/<user>/ account

what can i check on the my user account as why i can't login now with that account?

#2 2016-06-14 01:13:56

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Re: hard reboot now can't login with that user

You can try switching to a TTY session instead of going in through LightDM.   if you're running it as a vm (virtualbox I suppose?)  Try hitting ctl + alt + f2   when the LightDM screen appears. then try logging into the console.

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#3 2016-06-14 08:11:32

x4OUBg

Re: hard reboot now can't login with that user

Horizon_Brave wrote:

You can try switching to a TTY session instead of going in through LightDM.   if you're running it as a vm (virtualbox I suppose?)  Try hitting ctl + alt + f2   when the LightDM screen appears. then try logging into the console.

it's a VMware VM, btw.

I was able to login via TTY! great relief. the .Xauthority file had owner:group as root:root, all other files at quick glance look ok. I changed .Xauthority back to user me, exited TTY and was able to login via LightDM. beats me if changing owner of .Xauthority helped or why it's owner:group was root:root.

thanks much for helping out!! seems to be working as before...yeah!

Board footer