You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-16 19:03:15

geekosupremo

Anyone with experience with GAdmintools?

Hey there more experienced SysAdmins.

As a "field promoted" sysadmin there are many useful/basic tasks that need to be done quickly and with as few errors as possible. As errors lead to security holes and well ... that's never good.

As such do any of you have any experience with the GAdmintools package It looks like it would be a good way to help eliminate the more glaring flaws of say a Samba config file.

I have managed to make samba.conf that functions but as it has been in service for awhile there are things that I'd like to adjust to make it easier for users to use the shared folder(s) in the way it was intended.

#2 2016-05-16 19:09:43

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Anyone with experience with GAdmintools?

I am most certainly not a sysadmin (I wish) but I would say that a GUI for server management sounds like a bad idea.

I would think that keeping the system as simple and abstraction-free as possible would maximise reliability.

Having said that, I don't know **** about Samba or servers so perhaps you should just ignore me...
big_smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-05-17 05:50:53

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

No. Just no. Use an editor to edit the configuration files instead...

#4 2016-05-20 19:34:22

geekosupremo

@madoromi - You're right, that is the best option. I was asking if there was any expereince with the tools.

So to not just rely on the experience of others I spun up a VM and installed the GAdminTools.

The tools worked just as expected but it did cause some weirdness with the samba version. When I tried to upgrade it to the patched edition ... things started to break. And I'm just inexperienced enough to not be super profficent at fixing borked packages ... hence why I did it in a VM first. I've learned that much at least. wink

So ... I'm no worse off than I stared, but I still feel like I don't know enough about Samba config. Such is life. Back to digging through the manuals.

Last edited by geekosupremo (2016-05-20 19:34:37)

#5 2016-11-25 10:41:10

Stick1bit
Website

Not an admin myself (I wish I was) but from my tiny field experience a "gui-admin tool" will mess up  your previous settings.
Especially with samba shares. So I if you are a field tech, chose your tools carefully. Never switch for another one.
That will save you a lot of perspiration and stress. Believe me.

Board footer