You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-04 16:48:43

schwim
Website

Preparing a fresh BL install for VB Guest Additions

Heya folks,

Just combining the various instructions and tutorials into one spot for the BL site.

On fresh install, you'll need to install a few packages and make a few preparations before installing the VBGA.

In terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo  apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) module-assistant
sudo m-a prepare

reboot

In the windowed menu at the top of the VB frame, select "Devices" then "Insert Guest Additions CD image..."
In Thunar, open the media/cdrom location.  CTRL+a to select all and CTRL+c to copy.  Choose a location to drop these files.  For me, I just create a VBGA folder in Downloads.  CTRL+v to paste.

in terminal and in the files directory:

sudo ./VBoxL*

Let it run and reboot.  You should have a resizable screen and all the other bells and whistles GA brings once it's booted to desktop.

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#2 2015-10-04 17:25:31

damo
....moderator....

Re: Preparing a fresh BL install for VB Guest Additions

Thanks for this!

I have found NOWHERE that has such a simple step-by-step.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2015-10-04 20:59:26

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

With appropriate bunsen mods (multiconky awarnes), this script
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bront … /changeres
run from openbox startup could auto restart conky and restore the wallpaper (on screenres change).

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-10-04 20:59:56)

#4 2015-10-17 23:35:10

NeiHuem

In addition to schwim's howto:

If USB devices won't show up in the guest machine after install, check on the host machine whether the user has already been added to the "vboxusers" group.

A tiny requisite on which I lost quite some time these days. (And this part is even well documented... I thought it was all still pretty obvious from my last vbox installs some months ago, but, well, actually, no. It's RTFM time and again.)

#5 2015-10-18 02:22:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

NeiHuem wrote:

check on the host machine whether the user has already been added to the "vboxusers" group.

On the guest machine too. I always have to do that to access shared folders.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#6 2015-12-05 05:49:43

AdamNYC

brontosaurusrex wrote:

run from openbox startup could auto restart conky and restore the wallpaper (on screenres change).

Huge thanks @schwim for the simple step-by-step info on installing VirtualBox Guest Additions -- you made it a piece of cake!

Like others may notice, after I install the Virtualbox Guest Additions and resize the VM window, conky and the background don't resize nicely.

@brontosaurusrex mentioned 'appropriate bunsen mods' that can use his script to auto-restart conky... what are these mods that can help with running the script?

#7 2015-12-05 06:41:27

Snap

Thanks a lot, schwim. I wouldn't be able to write this so compact and understandable myself. Great job!

#8 2015-12-05 12:07:56

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

AdamNYC wrote:

@brontosaurusrex mentioned 'appropriate bunsen mods' that can use his script to auto-restart conky... what are these mods that can help with running the script?

In my example the script is restarting singular conky, but for bl you would probably need to kill all conkys and then start the multi-conky script (but I haven't actually test that yet).

Edit: Changing line 16 to

diff <(echo "$old") <(xrandr) || ( nitrogen --restore && killall conky && sleep 2 && bl-conky-session & )

seems to work.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-12-06 22:48:37)

#9 2016-09-24 20:27:51

stevep
MX Linux Developer

schwim wrote:

Heya folks,

Just combining the various instructions and tutorials into one spot for the BL site.

On fresh install, you'll need to install a few packages and make a few preparations before installing the VBGA.

In terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo  apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) module-assistant
sudo m-a prepare

reboot

In the windowed menu at the top of the VB frame, select "Devices" then "Insert Guest Additions CD image..."
In Thunar, open the media/cdrom location.  CTRL+a to select all and CTRL+c to copy.  Choose a location to drop these files.  For me, I just create a VBGA folder in Downloads.  CTRL+v to paste.

sudo ./VBoxL*

Let it run and reboot.  You should have a resizable screen and all the other bells and whistles GA brings once it's booted to desktop.

"m-a prepare" will install the running kernel's headers and build-essential if necessary, so you can trim down that install command even further.

#10 2016-09-24 21:46:27

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I'll probably get shouted down but, at least here with my fully up-to-date VBox for Windows host, in a fresh bl guest I just do:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11

after which all appears hunky and dory, though those being old additions drag & drop is experimental/flaky and disabled by default.
Assuming you have the sources enabled adding -t jessie-backports to the final one fixes most of those issues...
So I'm a point or two behind on the guest additions, they still work, with the plus that apt knows all about them, apt also knows about the depends, installs them nicely with no fuss, and as a bonus I've avoided the occasional issues with kernel upgrades that occurred when using the ones from the additions iso back in my #! days.  The additions in backports are really quite close to current.  VBox doesn't complain using the old ones though, and the install puts me in the vboxusers group without my having to intervene to get there.

There again, I mostly use VMWare, so I can be safely ignored when it comes to VirtualBox.

There's little to lose trying it, first time I made a snapshot first so I could back out and do it the iso way if it went mammaries skyward, but it didn't.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2016-09-24 21:52:42)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#11 2016-12-14 03:24:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

BTW shared folders are now owned by the 'vboxsf' group, not 'vboxusers', so to access them,
in the guest machine run 'sudo adduser <yourname> vboxsf'.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#12 2017-07-08 08:46:02

huh070

Hi, i'm new to busenlabs linux and sort of new to linux

I have used this thread to install BL in virtualbox. There is a mention about a script that automatic changing the backgroud and conky to the new resolution.

how would I go about in getting this done. I found the script on github but I'm unsure where to place it

regards

#13 2017-07-08 09:48:47

damo
....moderator....

What script, and where is it mentioned?

#14 2017-07-08 12:34:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

huh070 wrote:

a script that automatic changing the backgroud and conky to the new resolution

Have you tried:

nitrogen --restore
pkill -usr1 conky

I think there's a specific BL script to reload conky but I can't remember what it is...

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#15 2017-07-08 12:54:50

damo
....moderator....

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
huh070 wrote:

a script that automatic changing the backgroud and conky to the new resolution

Have you tried:

nitrogen --restore
pkill -usr1 conky

I think there's a specific BL script to reload conky but I can't remember what it is...

nitrogen --restore && bl-conky-session

#16 2017-07-08 13:10:19

huh070

Both your solution work well thanks!!

The script I mentioned is from this tread mentioned by user brontosauresrex. For what i understand this should automatically fix the resolution.

I will try to make a shortcut or a menu entry and put your solutions in the entry.

#17 2018-04-17 18:53:44

estuardolh

schwim wrote:

Heya folks,

In terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo m-a prepare

reboot

sudo ./VBoxL*

Thank you!, it works fine, now i have GA on my VMbox running over USB stick smile

#18 2020-08-18 14:38:16

schwim
Website

Just a bump to mention that the OP still works in lithium without any modification.

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

Board footer