You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-03 17:22:45

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Wrong filesystem type detected by installer

When I was setting up my drives during installation (text based install) I did not want to format my data drives but simply choose the mount points. The problem with this is that they are ext4 but the installer thinks they are ext2. So I tried selecting "use as" and setting to ext4 but this results in the installer wanting to format the drives and create a new partition table. I also tried exiting the partitioner and going to "detect drives" to see if that would correct the problem but it did not.

I went back to the partioning step and decided to mark them as "do not use" and just edit my fstab file post install and all went fine from there. I can't say if the graphical installer has the same problem since I simply kept going using the workaround.

After installing and upgrading to Sid I ran blkid (I needed the UUID #s for fstab) and it detected the drives correctly as ext4. Just to be thorough I ran gparted to see what it said and it also detected them correctly.

Oh, this was bl-Hydrogen-rc1-amd64.iso

It was pretty easy to deal with and didn't slow me down much but this could cause trouble for a newby if it happened to them.
---
Edited to correct some sloppy typing.

Last edited by Anaconda (2015-10-03 21:25:38)

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#2 2015-10-03 19:44:10

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Re: Wrong filesystem type detected by installer

I would definitely be careful with allowing to think it was ext2 for media files, given the file size limitations of ext2.

#3 2015-10-05 03:53:02

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I seem to recall something about "ext2" being used as a generic name for all the ext* systems by some software... debian installers?

I have a "data" ext4 partition which I have had attached to /data during the install phase in the past, with no problems.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2015-10-05 06:02:55

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

johnraff wrote:

I have a "data" ext4 partition which I have had attached to /data during the install phase in the past, with no problems.

So have I (through multiple installs) but not this time. If I tried to select a mount point and "use as ext4" the installer insisted on formatting. I have never encountered this problem before.

I took the safe route and added the drives to my fstab post install. It seemed the sensible thing to do.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

Board footer