You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-05 01:38:42

Cameron

Decorate/Undecorate issue with File menu

If, while running my PyCharm IDE, I go to the top-left corner and click Decorate/Undecorate to get rid of the top bar I am unable to then use the File menu. It just flickers up and disappears again, or if I hold the button down it will stay there until I let go of the button.

Is there a fix for this? Otherwise, could someone point me in the right direction for debugging the issue?

#2 2016-04-05 07:26:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Decorate/Undecorate issue with File menu

Does this fix your issue:

pkill compton

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-04-06 00:45:07

Cameron

Unfortunately not.

I thought it could have been a dual screen thing but I turned off the 2nd screen in the ARandR Screen Layout Editor and it did the same thing.

I just tried it on another computer (single screen, same installation CD, OS updated on both) and it worked fine (although I ran the free version of Pycharm on it rather than the Pro version but I wouldn't think there would be any difference in the menus). I've done almost nothing to the setup after installing Crunchbang other than install a whole lot of packages.

Is there an easy way to compare the two computers, like perhaps running a command that will output the configuration of the two PCs in order to compare what's different? Maybe I changed one critical thing without realising.

#4 2016-04-06 01:53:55

Cameron

Ok, so I read through the "Don't break Debian" post and I think it's possible that I broke the system when trying to hack my way around installing multiple versions of Python which possibly would have updated the C libraries etc.

Maybe I'll just start fresh.

When installing things, is it typically safe if I just use apt-get install/update/upgrade without adding any extra repositories, or do I have to be careful with that as well?

#5 2016-04-06 07:28:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Cameron wrote:

When installing things, is it typically safe if I just use apt-get install/update/upgrade without adding any extra repositories

Yes, that is the recommended approach.

Mixing Debian stable with testing/unstable or Ubuntu (PPA) repositories is a recipe for disaster.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?&t=114130

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#6 2016-04-06 08:13:07

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

How did you install pycharm? Did you follow these instructions? If that method works, unpacking the pycharm distribution into /opt/pycharm/ and just running everything from there, without touching the main OS's python or similar.

Besides, pycharm uses Java -- I'd first test if the bug you describe is present in another Java program and go from there. It's most likely caused by the JRE...its GUI system is a health hazard.

#7 2016-04-07 00:04:17

Cameron

Ahhhh Java. Ok well I think that explains it perhaps. I'll have a play with it.

Last edited by Cameron (2016-04-07 00:22:06)

Board footer