You are not logged in.

#26 2015-10-15 08:13:05

titan

Re: Distro Hopping

I thought development of LXDE was stopped, just maintained, and the future being LXQT being developed along with Razorqt devs. It is not in Debian repos yet but soon, and can be downloaded from the siduction LXQT repros. siduction also do a very basic install even without X called appropriately enough NOX.

#27 2015-10-15 14:58:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

titan wrote:

I thought development of LXDE was stopped, just maintained, and the future being LXQT being developed along with Razorqt devs.

No, that was the Qt port of LXDE that merged with Razor-Qt to become LXQt...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE#Qt_port
http://lxde.org/ (<-their homepage looks broken ATM)
http://lxqt.org/

#28 2015-10-15 20:38:42

eight.bit.al

I've run LXLE off and on for quite a while. It's always been stable and snappy.

Regards

A mind is a terrible thing not to change.
The problem lies not with new ideas, but in escaping the old ones.

#29 2015-10-16 08:25:06

titan

hhh wrote:
titan wrote:

I thought development of LXDE was stopped, just maintained, and the future being LXQT being developed along with Razorqt devs.

No, that was the Qt port of LXDE that merged with Razor-Qt to become LXQt...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE#Qt_port
http://lxqt.org/

I thought I had read on the Lxde or Lxqt blog by Hong Yen Jee that Lxqt was the future, unfortunately both sites seem to be having problems with the blog sections at the moment. The about section on Lxqt says

LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.

That seems unambiguous to me but time will tell.

#30 2015-10-16 09:12:03

Snap

I love feh. Super lightweight and doubles as both a wallpaper setter and image viewer. Plus, you can hook it into your file manager with a custom action and use it all gui like.

Yup, a couple of scripts for browsing and slideshows and that's it. AFAIK it doesn't play animated gifs, or never found a way to do it. That's why Mirage is usually in too. Otherwise I would only use feh.

#31 2015-10-16 09:24:56

Snap

Regarding LXDE I will miss its simplicity and modularity. LXQt is way closer to Razor than what LXDE was (well, still is). It's more "desktop-like" than LXDE, where you can choose to use as many or as little bits of it as you want. LXDE is a kind of crossover. Closer to a WM with some goodies and tools to deal with your session than a tipycal DE. LXQt is more "get the whole thing and live with it". In certain way we still have xfce for the modules/bits, but it's not as slim and simple as LXDE.

#32 2015-10-16 11:11:31

titan

Snap wrote:

Regarding LXDE I will miss its simplicity and modularity. LXQt is way closer to Razor than what LXDE was (well, still is). It's more "desktop-like" than LXDE, where you can choose to use as many or as little bits of it as you want.

Isn't  Lxqt more or less a port of Lxde to the Qt libs. With it's structure being similar ie modular.Most of the components in the repro seem to have a Qt version of the Gtk module. It doesn't look much different to me but I am just a simple user. Hong Yen Jee had said he ported PCmanfm to Qt in less than a day and if starting from scratch today would choose Qt over Gtk.

#33 2015-10-17 11:01:34

Snap

I find them quite different. LXDE uses about the same RAM of the WM standalone, usually OpenBox. It only adds some useful tools to manage your session and allows you to use the native WM menu if you want that. IIRC, Razor and LXQt double the RAM usage as an start and actually feels like a DE.

#34 2015-10-17 14:57:15

hhh
Meep!
Website

titan wrote:

I thought I had read on the Lxde or Lxqt blog by Hong Yen Jee that Lxqt was the future, unfortunately both sites seem to be having problems with the blog sections at the moment.

I think you're right, I was misreading that portion of the Wikipedia entry for LXDE.

#35 2015-10-17 16:31:15

vasa1

titan wrote:

I thought I had read on the Lxde or Lxqt blog by Hong Yen Jee that Lxqt was the future, unfortunately both sites seem to be having problems with the blog sections at the moment. ...

See here for problems with lxde.org: http://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/mailman/message/34474876/ or just browse through http://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/mailman/lxde-list/

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#36 2015-10-18 22:56:34

paxmark1

Yeah, blogs of lxde lxqt have been down for  awhile.  Probably the decision most relevant to these forums is the planned lxqt transition at some point down the road away from openbox to xfce's xfwm4 window manager.  lxqt does want to become wayland capable and from what I hear that will not be a strentgh of openbox.   

They have been hoping for another incremental point release around Nov 01, but it might be a little later.  All in all, they might still have their mute blog at source forge, but I am so impressed at how well they weathered the gc++ transition and the importation of selected tier 1 kf5  components (tier one is coded solely in QT5) from kde. 

of course lurking on irc at freenode #lxde is a way to keep up with lxqt development.  the OFTC #lxde is geared towards assistance with lxde.

#37 2015-10-19 01:52:30

vasa1

paxmark1 wrote:

...  Probably the decision most relevant to these forums is the planned lxqt transition at some point down the road away from openbox to xfce's xfwm4 window manager. ...

Any source available for ^^^?

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#38 2015-10-19 08:26:11

titan

vasa1 wrote:
paxmark1 wrote:

...  Probably the decision most relevant to these forums is the planned lxqt transition at some point down the road away from openbox to xfce's xfwm4 window manager. ...

There is some conversation about it here
https://github.com/lxde/lxqt/issues/645

#39 2015-10-19 09:18:23

vasa1

titan wrote:

There is some conversation about it here
https://github.com/lxde/lxqt/issues/645

Thanks for that, but there's not really much there to warrant "is the planned lxqt transition at some point down the road away from openbox to xfce's xfwm4 window manager. ..."

My bet will be Kwin or whatever it's called at the time.

#40 2015-10-19 11:34:01

vasa1

And, as far as LXQt goes, I feel KWin will be a more natural fit assuming Openbox can no longer be considered. I also think it's being more actively developed than xfwm4. The KWin devs are aware of its dependencies and seem to be working on reducing them to make KWin more attractive as an alternate window manager.

Here's a link to a 2013 blog post from a senior KDE dev: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 … ironments/

BTW, what'll happen to conky then? wink

#41 2015-10-19 12:04:13

titan

All good stuff, the beauty of Linux is nothing stays still for long, and there is something for everyone.

#42 2015-10-19 15:13:54

Snap

The KWin devs are aware of its dependencies and seem to be working on reducing them to make KWin more attractive as an alternate window manager.

That's what the say, but never managed to get it working as standalone. Haven't tried it since the KF5/Qt5 switch yet. It's in my todo borking list.

#43 2015-10-19 16:14:51

titan

Snap wrote:

The KWin devs are aware of its dependencies and seem to be working on reducing them to make KWin more attractive as an alternate window manager.

That's what the say, but never managed to get it working as standalone. Haven't tried it since the KF5/Qt5 switch yet. It's in my todo borking list.

I just installed kwin from sid out of curiosity and it seems to work fine with Lxqt. I am using aptosid but get lxqt from the siduction Lxqt repros.  I only had a short play but I can't see any advantage at the moment over OB. As expected It installs a load of dependencies but I have now uninstalled kwin+dependencies.

#44 2015-10-19 17:19:22

nobody0
Disabled account

^ How does Lxqt work with Kwin? Could you post a screeny? I just looked at Lxqt and it looks like something from Windows 95 era.

#45 2015-10-19 18:42:49

titan

ostrolek wrote:

^ How does Lxqt work with Kwin? Could you post a screeny? I just looked at Lxqt and it looks like something from Windows 95 era.

I have removed Kwin, but with it installed you just select it from session settings in LXQT Appearance Configuration and log out/in. Currently there are eight themes for Lxqt including one called KDE-Plasma this is along with widget and icon styles so the look is changable.I just wanted to see if it worked and what it looked like, it did seem slower opening windows and also had some transparency when moving windows. I just did the minimum Kwin install there are some additional addons and decoration themes. I expect it will be quite polished when fully released, but probably not for me although I will keep watching it and maybe have another go when Lxqt is in Debian proper.

#46 2015-10-20 05:27:32

paxmark1

vasa1 wrote:

Just lurking on the freenode irc.  Thanks for the link to the "closed" lxqt bug 645.

I do have the desire to see the day when xorg is thrown under the bus and hopefully wayland arrives user friendly,  However, openbox will always have a special place in my heart.  Presently I set up my / partition way too small on my  ssd iwth lxqt and sid and I play with additions to lxqt on an atom running testing.  I deeply appreciate all who are kicking the tires of lxqt and seeing what works and what does not.  peace out Mark

#47 2015-10-20 10:36:54

Snap

it did seem slower opening windows

Yes, it does. That's the kwin defaults. It gives time to the "fancy effects" to happen. No delay, no effects. I always set it to instant and f*** off the fancy effects. Then kwin turns into that snappy and brilliant WM I use to like a lot. But, if you ditch the funny effects and take into account the way xfwm (a WM i always avoided in the past) is evolving lately, it seems to me that xfwm is finally becoming a true kwin killer/replacement. Maybe not on its defualts, as usual, but should do it if properly configured. Standalone xfwm is something I need to try soon.

Well, not in Jessie yet. Backports are needed for this to happen, or just moving to Testing or Sid to get xfwm 4.12.

Last edited by Snap (2015-10-20 10:38:08)

#48 2015-10-20 11:21:47

nobody0
Disabled account

^ Could you post a screeny with fancy effects and without?

#49 2015-10-20 13:31:39

titan

After the recommendation for xfwm I thought I would give it a try and just installed xfwm4 4.12.3-1 and xfce-4-settings 4.12.0-2 ( I am running sid) this seems to add a few guis to the Lxqt menu called settings,display, workspaces, window manager and window manager tweeks.Compositing is enabled by default so I tried Plank and it now has animated icons ( if you like that sort of thing). It does look slick and is as fast as OB. I will leave it installed and give it a try when I get a chance.

#50 2015-10-20 15:14:50

nore
>2⁹

ostrolek wrote:

screeny with fancy effects

Search for "kwin" in Youtube. There are all the animations with wobbles and shakes we've seen in Compiz back in 2007.

Board footer