You are not logged in.

#26 2015-10-03 11:59:45

DB_Cooper

Re: Distrowatch

pvsage wrote:

I say DW can lick sweaty stallion n**s before we cough up one red cent.

Couldn't agree more. It'll happen in time.

Dan

#27 2015-10-03 17:11:06

isosceles

I don't think there's anything ethical about treating every distro equally. $220 should be no trouble to raise for any distro that's well done and speaks to people's needs. It's a test of whether the devs can convince a rather small number of people to donate.

ohnonot wrote:

i read this thread diagonally, so forgive me if i'm repeating some things...

basically i have nothing against giving 220 credits to a cool project. but 220 bucks to skip the line?
that goes very much against a particular sense of ethics that i have.
otoh, if everyone here gives just one credit, we have enough.
but the thought really wants to make me puke.
the idea that some really cool distro can't skip the line because for them 220$ is a lot more money than for westerners... or because it actually really is a one-man project... or because they, too, find it immoral to skip the line... or because, like me, they don't want to use paypal & pals...

bright side:
my bl rc1 torrent has been seeded a lot, so people are downloading it.
alround i got the impression that word to mouth is taking place, people are using bunsenlabs.
the crunchbang forums redirect to bunsenlabs i heard.

what other channels do we have? reddit? some of those tech-blogs? debian forums? linuxquestions? ...

that said, if some bl dev posts a bank account number, i'll make sure to deposit a quid or two, for whatever bl-related purpose...

#28 2015-10-04 02:01:04

lcafiero
The BL Guy
Website

I'd vote no to paying DistroWatch, and as a tech journalist, this is kind of an interesting story -- pay to play. I'm glad that BunsenLabs is on the list (toward the bottom), but there should be some provision for being a descendant of CrunchBang that we should get credit for the time many of us had worked with it.

Res publica non dominetur

#29 2015-10-04 07:12:22

nobody0
Disabled account

Distrowatch says;

Once you've created a Linux distribution and would like to have it listed on DistroWatch, you should email us to tell us your project's website. There is no need to provide any details at this stage. We'll take a look at the website and will let you know if we need further information.

This is not exactly true. Distrowatch searches the web and include distros into their "waiting list."  Most distro creators of don't contact  Distrowatch at all. Some don't even have a website.

Last edited by nobody0 (2015-10-04 07:13:45)

#30 2015-10-04 12:58:21

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

I don't think there is an official vote here just people voicing opinions of to pay or not to pay.

I don't like the idea at all. Let BunsenLabs find it's own way, on it's own merits!  But I've said that before.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#31 2015-10-04 13:24:36

orionthehunter
^bl constellation

220 dollars for tons of eyeballs is cheap advertising. I'd be happy to contribute. Why not? Distrowatch is a great audience, mostly people that are already familiar with Linux, looking to try something new. I found #! through DW.

"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe; attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate."

#32 2015-10-04 13:27:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

orionthehunter wrote:

Why not?

Support requests.

It was my understanding that this distribution was produced as a labour of love with a very guided and specific vision.

I don't think striving for popularity is the right way to go.

Build it and they will come...

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#33 2015-10-04 13:31:42

orionthehunter
^bl constellation

The hope would be to attract 1 or 2 active members capable of supporting the distribution for every 50 that can't. Many of you have joined the community and done just that. Do you think for some reason we won't attract those people anymore?

"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe; attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate."

#34 2015-10-04 14:00:04

nobody0
Disabled account

Maybe we should comment about BunsenLabs in DWW tomorrow?

#35 2015-10-04 14:26:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

orionthehunter wrote:

The hope would be to attract 1 or 2 active members capable of supporting the distribution for every 50 that can't.

Good point, I didn't think of it like that.

#36 2015-10-04 15:53:16

hhh
Meep!
Website

ostrołęk wrote:

Please, no. The time for that would have been when we were announced in the "Added to waiting list" blurb of DW Weekly.

#! is recognized by Distrowatch and all of their links to #! now redirect to bunsenlabs.org, so this should be enough for now.

#37 2015-10-04 16:31:18

nobody0
Disabled account

hhh wrote:
ostrołęk wrote:

Please, no. The time for that would have been when we were announced in the "Added to waiting list" blurb of DW Weekly.

#! is recognized by Distrowatch and all of their links to #! now redirect to bunsenlabs.org, so this should be enough for now.

Crunchbang is;

Popularity: Not ranked

at Distrowatch, so not in this page http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity so people would slowly forget about it, at least at DWW. Maybe the adminstrators should email DWW about BunsenLabs?

#38 2015-10-04 17:43:34

damo
....moderator....

Why BunsenLabs?  Because we wanted a #! continuation; it is fun to do; the forum community is worth keeping going.

Should it be actively publicised?  Not necessarily - it is by us and for us, and anyone else who comes across it.

Do I care if it is on DW?  No.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#39 2015-10-04 20:09:09

nobody0
Disabled account

damo wrote:

Why BunsenLabs?  Because we wanted a #! continuation; it is fun to do; the forum community is worth keeping going.

Should it be actively publicised?  Not necessarily - it is by us and for us, and anyone else who comes across it.

Do I care if it is on DW?  No.

I suppose you are right. It is by us for us!

#40 2015-10-04 20:24:00

lcafiero
The BL Guy
Website

hhh wrote:

That's a very good point, hhh. I think we should sit tight and explore other avenues of publicity, if that's what we're seeking in the first place.

My 2 cents.

Res publica non dominetur

#41 2015-10-04 20:37:37

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

I think a writeup in your blog, etc will do far more than just a mere listing anyway. Word of mouth is powerful stuff. Most folks on my social media profiles know I use Linux and know I use some variant of debian most of the time. I have been contemplating posting an announcement and let the Linux users I am linked too on those profiles know that BunsenLabs have a release candidate out.

#42 2015-10-04 20:59:50

DB_Cooper

Maybe I'm being stupid, but why does it matter how many people use BL. I use it and you use it. Why does it matter if anyone else uses it. It's not going to make any better is it?

Dan

#43 2015-10-04 21:08:21

damo
....moderator....

DB_Cooper wrote:

Maybe I'm being stupid, but why does it matter how many people use BL. I use it and you use it. Why does it matter if anyone else uses it. It's not going to make any better is it?

+1

Apart from....it might make it better because of more feedback.

On second thoughts, I would probably get fed up of saying "If you want [insert name of must-have application] then apt-get it!" devil

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#44 2015-10-04 22:07:04

MsMattie

I'll play devil's advocate. When I was first getting interested in replacing my XP machines with Linux, I went on DistroWatch and then mostly by popularity I downloaded .iso files for the top distros and then put a bunch of them on a USB stick using YUMI. I was totally new and green. But all the most popular distros were there. I could easily test some. With links to reviews. I would not likely have even tried Crunchbang if it had not been in Distrowatch.

A listing there also adds some credibility in the eyes of someone looking around. Since then I have seen several other small distros that looked interesting, but were not in Distrowatch and I didn't try them. My reasoning was that they were so small they might not be around for long. Or, even worse, that they were kind of "out there" on their own and I wasn't absolutely totally sure I could trust that they weren't malicious. And it's easier and occasionally wiser to just be safe on something of that importance.

Linux in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountains...

#45 2015-10-04 22:27:58

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

MsMattie wrote:

I'll play devil's advocate.

And well done with that too.

I like what DB_Cooper said up there a few posts.

I have one question: Are we in a competition?

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#46 2015-10-04 22:33:28

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Not really and I have no doubt BL will appeal to a certain user base. There are a lot of Linux users out there who are still fairly dependent on a DE and gui tools to handle everything. Maybe they will migrate one day and maybe they won't. I doubt a DW listing will make their decision any easier. Most people end up migrating to a #! like setup because they are ready to learn more and end up needing a more accessible environment to do that in. There are numerous potential successors that are one man shows. Being the community driven continuation should lend BL some weight and credibility. Plus, as I have said before, no distro will last long without a robust community. I have been fairly encouraged by the influx of both old and new faces this past week or so.

#47 2015-10-04 22:44:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Sector11 wrote:

Are we in a competition?

Only with our own expectations and standards.

#48 2015-10-05 04:37:04

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Well said HoaS!

tknomanzr wrote:

I have been fairly encouraged by the influx of both old and new faces this past week or so.

Me too.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#49 2015-10-05 06:30:33

pvsage
Internal Affairs

tknomanzr wrote:

I have been fairly encouraged by the influx of both old and new faces this past week or so.

Same here, and the new faces are finding us without the DW ranking.

I get the impression that DW is on the decline in terms of how users find a new distro, with (and I cringe as I type this) "social media" playing a much stronger role.  I suppose I welcome our new social media overlords.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#50 2015-10-05 08:09:49

ohnonot
...again
Website

conflicting opinions are ok.

here are mine:

• distrowatch is important. i can't count how many times i have told ultra-noobs to go there and check it out for themselves, instead of pestering us.

• more and more often i hear people saying that DW isn't all that good, and being on there or not doesn't mean a thing.

• i have tried many distros, but never have i actually found one through distrowatch. also crunchbang wasn't my first linux distro. i wouldn't have been able to appreciate it then.

that said, constructive ways to deal with this:

• pay the 220 (collect money. i say it again, if there's an actual bank account to pay to, i'm game).

• ask corenominal to call in a favor from DW and somehow change the current #! listing (as proposed on the previous page of this thread. unlikely, but worth a try, imo)

• edit the wikipedia article on lightweight distros to include bl

• write about busenlabs on all your online channels, forums, blogs (mental note to self)

ps:
i totally agree with previous posters that bunsenlabs is doing perfectly ok without the added publicity, but it would be good to get it nevertheless.

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-10-05 08:11:42)

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Board footer