You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-23 09:31:01

ohnonot
...again
Website

i think my mobo is gone...

edit: in my anguish i forgot to tell you what mobo model... it's a rather old asus m2n-vm dh.

whenever i slightly kicked my computer (it's here under the table) it would switch itself off!
i suspected the harddrives or the reset switch to be faulty;
then suddenly, the computer wouldn't boot at all anymore - the strangest thing is: i can switch it on (and off) with the soft switch, the leds come on, hard drive and fan start spinning, but no signal whatsoever to the monitor. i triple checked both my monitors, used both dvi and vga, removed the pci gpu... nothing.
and no beeps either, because no pc speaker.

upon deeper inspection i found 2 small metal parts maybe touching the mobo's circuitry, maybe not.

i removed all peripherals, even ram, even the mobo itself, but the situation never changes.

now i even removed the cpu and i can't put it back in anymore because it is fused to the heatsink but i need to lift a lever on the mobo to put it back in and that lever can't work with the heatsink in place. bummer.

of course any help or suggestion is most welcome, but first these 2:
- can i improvise a pc speaker from something i have lying around (old phones, old laptops, normal speakers...)
- how can i get the cpu back in

...and only after that i can make a final assessment as to the health of my mobo.

Last edited by ohnonot (2016-02-24 06:48:51)

#2 2016-02-23 14:47:52

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: i think my mobo is gone...

Whoa, bummer.  I've had a similar experience with a USB HD that I had sitting on the floor; I accidentally the MBR when my toe nudged it while rebooting. #Datapanik  I seem to recall I was able to fix the MBR with TestDisk and gain access long enough to transfer data to a new drive, but that's not relevant to your case.

If you know where the speaker is supposed to be connected, then any of the options you mentioned should work.  If you have phones you don't mind destroying, that might be the best option for a semi-permanent mobo speaker.

There should be either a separate lever or clips on the heatsink assembly that should let you release the sink from the CPU.  If you've already released that, it's likely that the thermal grease between the sink and the CPU is acting as an adhesive; you should be able to carefully pry them apart with a penknife.

Best wishes for you and your mobo.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#3 2016-02-24 06:48:31

ohnonot
...again
Website

in my anguish i forgot to tell you what mobo model... it's a rather old asus m2n-vm dh.

i meanwhile managed to get the cpu off the sink with... heat! no amount of rubbing alcohol helped, but putting it (the sink with the cpu on top) on my stove for a few minutes did it!

my local computer guy gave me an old pc speaker for free (of course he misunderstood at first and presented me with a nice set of logitech speakers :-), but still no beeps.
i'll still try to shuffle the ram sticks around a bit, but i think it's pretty clear by now: the mobo is gone.

being now faced with replacement, i dither: should i go for something new, or should i try to find something that will allow me to continue using my ddr2 ram.
the cpu has always been bugging me (it really is rather slow, a dual core athlon 64 x2) - so i think a better one would be prudent.
that's a major investment, and if i go the 2nd hand route, it probably won't be easy to find a mobo that is old enough to support my old ram, yet still good for many years to come.

on the up side:

• my acer aspire one netbook does the job pretty well meanwhile, with external monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    ---

• i so often read about suspected hardware fatigue after only a few years usage, but this mobo clearly died of user negligence bordering on stupidity. i always felt it's bs to think that circuitry dies as fast as the manufacturers would probably like to. even 10 years is not much for a piece of hardware, we tend to forget that in our fast-paced computer world. most parts in this computer are over 5 years old, yet they work fine.

#4 2016-02-24 10:59:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Since it sounds like you want a faster CPU, it probably becomes a question of whether a mobo that can use the older RAM also has a socket that will take a the CPU you want.

Me, I'm an advocate of ARM lately, at least for the kinds of things I (and the average 95th percentile computer user) use a PC for.  Cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate, cheaper to upgrade/replace.  Only problem is most ARM boards are more limited in peripherals.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#5 2016-02-25 06:18:05

ohnonot
...again
Website

nah, i have the case here and all peripherals, and i intend to re-use them.
i had a look at arm mobos yesterday, but in the end i decided to go for the investment, get a proper mobo with a better cpu and new RAM, too.
so i can't use the ddr2 ram anymore. pity because it wasn't so easy to get it in the first place. well, maybe i can ebay it.

so, i'm proud owner of an msi mobo with an i3 cpu (probably the cheapest i3 available).
upside: i most probably won't be needing my gpu anymore, because intel hd seems to be way more powerful than this geforce 610.
downside: all this was way more expensive than i anticipated. i've seen whole laptops on sale for the same amount of money.

i haven't booted into my old hard drive yet because i have to shuffle hard disks around, clone them over and such.
but all live sessions work so yay, happy nerd.

but i get the point with arm & raspi & co.
so much smaller, so much more efficient, i mean look at the power consumption of my psu.
what's like the most powerful singleboard available? what i looked at, they couldn't cope even with the cheapest intel cpu.
and ram is not upgradable, big minus.
and linux support? you have to use raspbian, right?
afaiu archlinux arm support is rather experimental...

#6 2016-02-26 07:56:44

ohnonot
...again
Website

ok, it's all done & 99% finished.

the performance difference to my previous cpu/mobo isn't that large, but noticeable.
strangely, booting times (archlinux with plain openbox) seem about the same. i had expected more there.

so yes, no re-install required.
a little shuffling around because of the change from nvidia gpu to intel hd graphics, that's about it.
protip if you're ever in a similar situation: if your system mysteriously doesn't recognize the root partition anymore during boot, you might have to rebuild the initramfs (mkinitcpio).

am i right to deduce that intel graphics has extremely good linux open source support?
with the help of the archwiki i was able to improve performance quite a bit. chromium now works better with hardware acceleration (previously it was the other way round).

over and out.

#7 2016-02-26 08:00:45

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ohnonot wrote:

am i right to deduce that intel graphics has extremely good linux open source support?

Not really, the performance is lacking compared to Windows and there have been quite a few regressions recently (not with my HD4600 though).

Also, the new Skylake cards now require non-free firmware for full functionality.

Be sure to enable DRI3 and glamor acceleration: https://github.com/Head-on-a-Stick/conf … intel.conf

Arch users should have maximum shiny smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#8 2016-02-26 20:11:20

ohnonot
...again
Website

thanks for that.
i was not aware of non-free firmware; i just installed xf86-video-intel for xorg, and the i915 is part of the kernel afaiu.
plus mesa and mesa-libgl - where's the non-free firmware?

#9 2016-02-26 20:24:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ohnonot wrote:

where's the non-free firmware?

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core … -firmware/

I think that's installed as part of the "base" metapackage in Arch anyway.

In Debian, it's the firmware-misc-nonfree package.

#10 2016-02-26 20:43:06

ohnonot
...again
Website

i never knew.
non-free in [base]? wow.

#11 2016-02-26 20:48:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Perhaps sir would be interested in Parabola GNU/Linux-libre instead?
https://www.parabola.nu/

angel

Board footer