You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-21 18:31:34

Xerote

Windows 10 Pro Retail on new laptop

Dear community,

Recently I've bought a new laptop (MSI GE72) which comes with Windows 10 Home OEM preinstalled. As we speak, I also have a Windows 10 Pro Retail license I acquired from MSDN. I want to install this on my new laptop; though, the installation media automatically detects the Windows 10 Home OEM license tied to it so I never get the chance to choose that I want to install the Pro version and provide the license key for it.

Does anyone know how to bypass this? I don't want to keep using the OEM license for windows Home (mostly for the non-configurable updates); ideally I want to have Bunsen as my main OS like I have on my El Cheapo laptop (Lenovo G50-80), but this just doesn't cut it right now because I bought the MSI specifically for a certain set of games. I am willing to settle for running Bunsen in a VM, provided I can have W10 Pro as my main OS.

I did get some answers on the Microsoft Community site; but one involves changing the .iso with a .cfg file, and another was using a 'generic' license key first and then providing the pro key once it is installed which sounds really shady. It should be possible to do this alot easier no? Am I missing something?

Cheers!

Yours,

Xerote

#2 2016-02-21 18:37:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Windows 10 Pro Retail on new laptop

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-02-21 19:21:42

el_koraco

There should be an option called "Add features to windows", somewhere in the settings menu. Maybe try therE?

#4 2016-02-21 20:02:39

Xerote

Thanks guys. I would've preferred to just clean install it, but maybe this is my only option, I don't know. Once I get my MSI back from repairs I'll check.

Board footer