You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-02 00:07:01

lowrider

What will happen to the #! forums?

I'm glad that we all found a new home but should we old #bangers declare the crunchbang forums dead and continue here and if so what about the knowledge and the unforgettable posts on the dark side?

-mod edit- Please use descriptive titles. Thanks, hhh

#2 2015-10-02 00:10:23

photonucleon
Thursday

Re: What will happen to the #! forums?

It seems that soon the #! forums will be locked, so we should continue here on the BL forums, while the #! forums will remain accessible as an read-only archive for the purposes of preserving the information on it.

This is as far as I understand it.

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#3 2015-10-02 00:10:44

damo
....moderator....

I understand @corenominal will keep the #! forums available as a resource, but I think it will be probably closed any moment for new posting.

I imagine a lot of the good helpful info will slowly be copied across, or links posted, but ATM there is a lot to do wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2015-10-02 00:11:51

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Correct. However, if you find particular gems that you feel really need to be over here, then I would say feel free to reproduce them. For instance, I have been contemplating revisiting backup strategies in anticipation of the influx of new users coming onto these forums.

#5 2015-10-02 11:28:42

Unia
Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ Yes, good stuff can and should be copied over. Just be sure to credit the original poster at the Crunchbang forums (unless it is yourself) and add a link to that topic.

You are all correct in that in due time (none of us know when, discussion is ongoing) the Crunchbang forums will go in read-only mode. It shall remain online for the foreseeable future (not discussed yet) as an archive for us to use, fallback on and copy. I think that, in order to speed this process up (it is never good to be in between two places, I think) we should all make this transition for ourselves as soon as possible. It's already more active here at the moment and I think we should strive to continue that.

The above (e.g. (working towards the) Crunchbang forums going into read-only mode) is also the reason for the creation of this very subforum: we still want to support the remaining #! users smile

Last edited by Unia (2015-10-02 11:31:53)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#6 2015-10-02 12:40:39

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

My opinion - I agree with tknomanzr:

CPQL: Copy/Paste/Quote/Link - if you are going to go to #! to find something, Copy it, Paste it here, and Quote the author then add a Link, if you wish.  Use common sense ... don't copy entire threads.  If a question pops up here, and the answer is there, grab the answer.  Tips & Tricks by all means, but not the discussion that follows, that should grow here naturally.

Unia said two things we must consider:
none of us know when
  - apply that to the #! forums going offline.  Something corenominal said he will leave up for us but life and Murphy always have a curve.  Lets hope it's up for may years to come.
it is never good to be in between two places
  - obviously nicer to see the info here as you are reading the thread than being pointed to another forum.

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

#7 2015-10-13 07:50:38

zephyr
Website

^Very pleased Phil will keep the forum open for archive purposes. A plethora of info in #! forum from start to end.

I thought I had lost #! sid in a d-u, removed drive and stored it, few weeks back reinstalled, d-u to a fully operational sid #!. Can't format over my first Debian or Linux distro, 

Philip Newborough is an excellent fellow.

Last edited by zephyr (2015-10-13 21:54:14)

#8 2015-10-14 09:13:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Sector11 wrote:

CPQL: Copy/Paste/Quote/Link - if you are going to go to #! to find something, Copy it, Paste it here, and Quote the author then add a Link, if you wish.

I would say please do add links, in both directions. One from here for people to go and read the original thread if they want, and one from the #! post to the new one here. (If you're the OP you can add it to the top post, otherwise put it at the end of the thread.) That will help people who arrive on #! from a Google search and want to read the continuation here. (It won't hurt our SEO either.)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#9 2015-10-14 13:09:18

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

^  Good idea, it will work as long as #! is not "read only".

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

Board footer