You are not logged in.

#1651 2021-12-28 21:22:27

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

ceeslans wrote:
hhh wrote:

I installed siduction wintersky KDE, it was too nice not to...
https://i.imgur.com/2GIBsFqt.png

Are mods now exempt from forum guidelines regarding acceptable thumbnail dimensions ...
devil

I couldn't get it to thumbnail without the link also being a thumbnail. In the monthly scrot thread I would never post such a large image because there are so many images posted, but here I thought it was acceptable. ;D

BTW, on reboot KDE is refusing to connect to my WiFi. Thankfully, there are no issues with my main partition, rock-solid Beryllium.

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

#1652 2021-12-30 07:28:39

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:

^ Pics or it didn't happen. wink

Come'on. You can do it. smile

8bit

The procedure hasn't really changed from the Beowulf install (3.1);

https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … installing

I couldn't duplicate that myself, even if I had a photo hosting service to use. I used manual partitioning so I had a different short series of steps to follow from the ones shown here at 10/ and 11/, but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

I'd want to see whether or not the sound problem is fixable before I start recommending Daedalus though (it's not a finished release).

have you tried posting on the Devuan forums about the sound issue? Perhaps others might have had the same problem and maybe came up with a solution.

Not the Devuan forums, but I found this thread on Stack Exchange;

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … -of-debian

Sauce Code's advice worked for me. I installed alsa-oss (alsa-base and alsa-utils were already installed), and then "sudo alsactl init" got the sound working.

So all's well that ends well! Thanks for your advice anyway.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-12-30 11:44:18)

#1653 2021-12-31 02:12:51

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Colonel Panic wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

The procedure hasn't really changed from the Beowulf install (3.1);

https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … installing

I couldn't duplicate that myself, even if I had a photo hosting service to use. I used manual partitioning so I had a different short series of steps to follow from the ones shown here at 10/ and 11/, but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

I'd want to see whether or not the sound problem is fixable before I start recommending Daedalus though (it's not a finished release).

have you tried posting on the Devuan forums about the sound issue? Perhaps others might have had the same problem and maybe came up with a solution.

Sauce Code's advice worked for me. I installed alsa-oss (alsa-base and alsa-utils were already installed), and then "sudo alsactl init" got the sound working.

Great you finally got the sound working on it...guess pulseaudio has some hard dependency on systemd thus not installable on Devuan so using the OSS emulation worked for you. This may be something to be aware of on Devuan at the moment.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-12-31 02:13:54)

Real Men Use Linux

#1654 2021-12-31 16:56:47

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Great you finally got the sound working on it...guess pulseaudio has some hard dependency on systemd thus not installable on Devuan so using the OSS emulation worked for you. This may be something to be aware of on Devuan at the moment.

Thanks, though it was more by luck than by design since I didn't know what OSS was - the instructions on the thread I linked to just said "install these packages", and alsa-oss was one of them.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-12-31 16:57:23)

#1655 2022-01-05 23:49:55

muppetfan

Distro-hopping, free software, but not Linux

I recently needed to be more familiar with FreeBSD for the day job.  I decided it would be helpful to have a FreeBSD system on a laptop where I could practice.  I came across a description of Nomad BSD, a live system that can run from a USB stick.  It booted nicely on a ThinkPad X100e where I had BL installed, though I do not have the wifi working.  Openbox by default.  I decided to install to the SSD, and keep it for a while. 

As far as I can tell, Nomad has a relationship to FreeBSD similar to the BunsenLabs to Debian -- packages from FreeBSD (matching release, of course) work directly on Nomad.

I still have BL on the server in the basement and the X200s, and it remains my personal default choice.

#1656 2022-01-10 10:22:19

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

I had to deal with nakeDeb again.   wink

JUkLh7Mt.png LQPdnaLt.png ao8niP5t.png

I found out that the logo should be at least larger than 18KB.   smile

Last edited by unklar (2022-01-10 10:25:07)

#1657 2022-01-10 20:21:48

DeepDayze

unklar wrote:

I had to deal with nakeDeb again.   wink

https://i.imgur.com/JUkLh7Mt.png https://i.imgur.com/LQPdnaLt.png https://i.imgur.com/ao8niP5t.png

I found out that the logo should be at least larger than 18KB.   smile

That's interesting and was wondering what was new with NakeDeb. Seems @arpinux hasn't popped in here in a while and hope all's well with him.

Took a look at the nakeDeb site and noticed it has a new logo.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2022-01-10 20:23:56)

Real Men Use Linux

#1658 2022-01-11 07:56:10

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

DeepDayze wrote:

Took a look at the nakeDeb site and noticed it has a new logo.

^Yes, but it only looks crappy because, as I wrote, it's too small.  hmm
A49g9pgt.png

#1659 2022-01-11 18:47:16

Colonel Panic

I've recently downloaded and installed the latest version of Mint, 20.3 (the Cinnamon edition), and I'm posting from it now.

Mint seems to do most things well enough but I managed to "freeze" the desktop and had to reboot when I right-clicked on an .mp3 file (this didn't happen the second time I tried it), and also I get the "menu blurring" problem that I've experienced elsewhere with Cinnamon, so I've installed another window manager to use instead (LXQt) that I know works.

Also, the included version of LibreOffice is somewhat "behind the curve" at version 6.4.7.2, although it works well.

Mint has some interesting utilities which as far as I know are unique to it. There's a "Sticky Notes" desktop notes program, for example, which appeals to me as I was a big fan of the *"Stickies!" shareware desktop notes program when I used Windows 3.1.

* Yes I did pay for my copy! I believe it's been released as freeware now though.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2022-01-12 20:41:59)

#1660 2022-01-15 13:46:03

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that the advanced plasma technology in Debian is probably finished as well.
I had used these repo's from Preining in conjunction with siduction and probably just ran the last dist-upgrade.

Ende_Preining.th.png link

https://linuxnews.de/2022/01/norbert-pr … st-debian/
https://www.preining.info/blog/2022/01/ … in-debian/

Last edited by unklar (2022-01-15 13:48:09)

#1661 2022-01-15 14:39:41

twoion
一期一会

unklar wrote:

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that the advanced plasma technology in Debian is probably finished as well.
I had used these repo's from Preining in conjunction with siduction and probably just ran the last dist-upgrade.

https://scrot.cloud/images/2022/01/15/Ende_Preining.th.png link

The DAM sends me an email about demotion to Debian Maintainer
based on a set of emails mostly from 2012-2014 during the
discussions on systemd and coc:

After woke kiddies installed a "code of conduct" it's getting used to snipe people who'd just like to do their stuff based on 10 year old init system choice discussions and the fact they're not part of the woke clique? What a novel pattern. Happens to all FOSS projects where merit based on skill and contribution is replaced by merit based on virtue signalling. Sooner or later.

#1662 2022-01-15 15:49:06

DeepDayze

unklar wrote:

https://scrot.cloud/images/2022/01/15/Ende_Preining.th.png link

Oh that really stinks as the Preining packages are the cutting edge for Debian KDE. Hope someone would be able to step in to help keep these going.

twoion wrote:

After woke kiddies installed a "code of conduct" it's getting used to snipe people who'd just like to do their stuff based on 10 year old init system choice discussions and the fact they're not part of the woke clique? What a novel pattern. Happens to all FOSS projects where merit based on skill and contribution is replaced by merit based on virtue signalling. Sooner or later.

Shame that all this infighting within Debian devs is causing so much uproar and it will have a negative impact on Debian in my opinion. Something needs to be done.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2022-01-15 15:51:22)

Real Men Use Linux

#1663 2022-01-16 03:46:28

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

Crap, what am I doing installing Bullseye KDE over my beautiful BunsenLabs OS? This will either be epic good or epic fail...

mbBty0vt.png

#1664 2022-01-16 04:12:10

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

hhh wrote:

Crap, what am I doing installing Bullseye KDE over my beautiful BunsenLabs OS? This will either be epic good or epic fail...

https://imgur.com/mbBty0vt.png

I don't know, but when you're finished installing it, any chance of going to the KDE printer configuration thing & seeing if it asks you for root's pwd when the root account is locked like in Bunsen??

I've seen that reported as an old (allegedly fixed) bug, & I'm wondering if it's an artefact of me installing on a sysvinit base, happening on both 32 and 64 bit.

Not asking for your help with this beyond  the info "does it work in a normal setup?"

Since you're installing anyway it saves me setting up an entire VM & installing KDE the standard way just to find out.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#1665 2022-01-16 04:50:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OT but:

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

...it asks you for root's pwd when the root account is locked like in Bunsen??

On BL the printer config utility asks for the user p/w, not root p/w.
If you still have trouble with printing on BL please open a support thread.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#1666 2022-01-16 04:54:30

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

900 RAM for the desktop, but I'm calling this a success (I bet I can trim that RAM usage quite a bit)...

ZNSUXvit.png

#1667 2022-01-16 04:57:55

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

johnraff wrote:

OT but:

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

I don't have a printer...

CEKAQuRt.png

Definitely a success, though...

TZ8wHHGt.png

#1668 2022-01-16 07:25:34

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Yes sorry to be off topic, wasn't after support as such, just a quick answer to a quick question.

johnraff wrote:

OT but:

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

On BL we use system-config-printer which works perfectly, on Bunsen & in other DEs it invokes a polkit dialogue when you click unlock, & even identifies the printer correctly (on Bunsen), which is more than can be said for what gets identified 50% of the other Debian DEs, though the wrong printer type they find still works.   Heck system-config-printer even works in KDE if you simply apt install it...

KDE has it's entirely own thing reserved unto itself (unless you know the name of the package to install it), it's KDE's thing in their fancy control centre that's broken.. BL I've yet to find anything that actually doesn't work, well other than issues I had with bl-welcome ;-)

Which is why I asked someone who's post said they were in the act of installing KDE to look.

hhh wrote:

I don't have a printer...

The question is, if you click add printer as if you wanted to add a network printer it wouldn't be able to find because you don't have one, who's password does it ask for yours or root's?
Please as a trivial favour just try authenticating & then cancelling out.
It's easier than me setting up an entire new VM just to see if the KDE dialogue pops up correctly  on a system where some lunatic hasn't switched init.
I will if I have to & if it's also broken under systemd I'll be firing up reportbug big_smile

Wanted to eliminate it being a result of ME breaking a sparkly new install of KDE.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#1669 2022-01-16 07:41:40

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

Dude, Plasma won't let me add a non-existent printer. I can choose one from the drop-down but it doesn't proceed to the screen to enter a name, user or root.

#1670 2022-01-16 07:58:35

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Interesting, that's a bug in itself in the case of a network printer where it might need to search or for you to manually add a uri or ip address.

Never mind.. thanks for trying. It is appreciated.

#1671 2022-01-16 09:58:47

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

^For me, such comparisons are actually always like comparing apples with oranges...
The values of my original KDE-PLasma installations are:

siduction-KDE-Plasma installed for the purpose of setup with Norbert Preining's repo's.
installed 2020-06-08
plasma version 5.23.5
RAM consumption after start 596MB
(network)printers are set up via the "system-config-printer" dialog; as in BL user p/w; setup/change root p/w

archlinux-KDE-plasma
installed 2015-03-02
plasma version 5.23.5
RAM consumption after start 460MB
printers were never set up

siduction-KDE-Plasma
installed 2017-02-25
plasma version 5.23.5
RAM consumption after startup 455MB
printers were set up; are no longer installed

One of my preferences is to set up desktops according to their appearance.
The plasma that stands out in the last weeks/months is the one from archlinux. It's just become so brilliant that it keeps "blowing my mind".

The closest to this brilliance is the one from Preining.
It is therefore a shame that the inner-party discord in Debian drives this developer into the arms of archlinux.  sad

#1672 2022-01-17 18:09:21

Colonel Panic

hhh wrote:

I installed siduction wintersky KDE, it was too nice not to...

https://i.imgur.com/2GIBsFq.png

Looks good smile I've just carried out a full upgrade of the XFce version of Siduction, it took a 950 MB download but it's all working well now.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2022-01-17 20:26:03)

#1673 2022-01-17 19:29:22

Martin
Website

unklar wrote:

^For me, such comparisons are actually always like comparing apples with oranges...
The values of my original KDE-PLasma installations are:

siduction-KDE-Plasma installed for the purpose of setup with Norbert Preining's repo's.
installed 2020-06-08
plasma version 5.23.5
RAM consumption after start 596MB
(network)printers are set up via the "system-config-printer" dialog; as in BL user p/w; setup/change root p/w

Yesterday I took Siduction-KDE-Plasma for a spin on a virtual machine. I found it sluggish compared to MX and using much more RAM than indicated above. Is this where Norbert Preining's tweaks comes in?

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#1674 2022-01-18 08:44:50

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Martin wrote:

Is this where Norbert Preining's tweaks comes in?

I do not understand the meaning of this sentence in the translation. Can you rephrase it again.  smile

#1675 2022-01-18 10:04:16

Martin
Website

unklar wrote:
Martin wrote:

Is this where Norbert Preining's tweaks comes in?

I do not understand the meaning of this sentence in the translation. Can you rephrase it again.  smile

Are his tweaks about cutting down RAM foot-print and boosting responsiveness or something else?

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Board footer