You are not logged in.

#1176 2021-01-30 00:26:25

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

lowrider wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
lowrider wrote:

Oh hi arpinux long time no see. I loved livarp back in the days and learned a lot from it. When nakeDeb has a english release (i am german btw) i am more than happy to give it a go. Welcome to the forums.

As @arpinux mentioned, a good workaround is just take FR-fr out of the boot options to get the live session (and install) in English. Also set the keyboard layout to en_US, and it worked for me. Only quibble is some menu entries are still in French but I am sure these can be edited in the finished install.

Not to mention the comments in some configfiles.
When i think about it it is a shame that i can interact with people thousands of kilometers/miles away from me in english and not knowing more than a handfull words in french given the french border is less than 100 kilometers away from me.

Heheh, yes I would use Google translate to translate those comments but now an English version should hopefully be in the works smile

Real Men Use Linux

#1177 2021-01-30 00:34:42

arpinux
Website

Hallo Lowrider, es ist schön Leute hier zu finden wink

i won't be abble to produce a german release as nakeDeb comes with a good documentation (as livarp did) and i can't maintain such german wiki... sorry for that, my german years are really far away (back to school days tongue )

once again, many thx for your welcome  cool

#1178 2021-01-30 23:21:37

arpinux
Website

nakeDeb english release ... wip ... i may ask for some help to re-read the final documentation if i could smile https://framagit.org/3hg/nakedeb/-/commits/master
but it could be better to open a new thread for that purpose later, when it's done wink

++
arp

#1179 2021-01-30 23:54:28

hhh
Meep!
Website

arpinux wrote:

nakeDeb english release ... wip ... i may ask for some help to re-read the final documentation if i could smile

I'll volunteer. Je ne parle pas français but my mother does, so I can ask her if I second guess my own translation.

#1180 2021-01-30 23:57:04

arpinux
Website

hhh wrote:

I'll volunteer. Je ne parle pas français but my mother does, so I can ask her if I second guess my own translation.

thx ! no need to speak french, only to tell me if my english is not too bad and understandable wink

#1181 2021-01-31 01:19:51

eight.bit.al

arpinux wrote:

nakeDeb english release ... wip ... i may ask for some help to re-read the final documentation if i could smile https://framagit.org/3hg/nakedeb/-/commits/master
but it could be better to open a new thread for that purpose later, when it's done wink

++
arp

New thread here:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7319

8bit

Don't run with scissors. Turn off lights when not in use. Don't sleep with your co-worker's wife. Remember to take the cans out on trash day. Check the oil and water in your car. Update your computer. Check your tire pressure. Turn off your computer and go outside. Take your pet to the vet for shots. Pee before you go on a long car ride.  Take your list to the grocery store. Drink more water. Please use CODE tags for code. :)

#1182 2021-01-31 02:08:45

arpinux
Website

^^ thx ! big_smile

#1183 2021-01-31 13:10:08

unklar

unklar wrote:

It is a pleasure to see this little distri boot with a ram consumption of 111 MB. The following languages are preinstalled: fr us de be, whereby already in the live iso the language selection can be influenced by setting the kernel parameters.
There are fluxbox and i3wm on board.

Since on this ThinkPad X40 with its American keyboard layout the keys
< > and | are missing, I still have to install my .Xmodmap.

I still have not managed to get my .Xmodmap running here.
This was completely incomprehensible to me at first, because it works with mageia, antiX, siduction and bunsenlabs out of the box on the x40.

While troubleshooting, I came across more inconsistencies in the installation.
Example:

$ apt policy audacious
audacious:
  Installiert:           (keine)
  Installationskandidat: (keine)
  Versionstabelle:

The set up repos of the installation under

/etc/apt/nakedeb.list
 /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nonfree.list
 /etc/apt/sources.list

were useless. Only the #commenting out of these and re-installation of a
sources.list with debian brought the success for the user as expected after the installation.

Other inconsistencies:
- "Applications/Research"/down arrow key/select /home opens /bin.
- the sense of "Default Apps" is also not clear to me, because no changes are taken over    are applied (e.g. background selection of grub, lxterm etc.).

All this under fluxbox. I have not dealt with i3w at all.

All in all, I apologize for my euphoria for this little
distro. Disillusionment has set in with me. Only the 111MB Ram at startup keep me still "at the rod". Without .Xmodmap it is a no go anyway.   devil

#1184 2021-01-31 13:32:36

arpinux
Website

hi unklar smile

if you want to apt show/install a package on nakedeb, you'll have to apt update first wink

about the sources.list things :
'nakedeb.list' is the sources.list original of the nakedeb project
'sources.list' is the sources.list of your system that you can modify as you want, thus you'll keep the 'nakedeb.list' as backup in fact
'nonfree.list' is the sources.list of the non-free repositories. separated from the other sources, easy to remove without editing

there is 3 sources.list because if you install nakedeb off-line, the debian sources.list will not be populated. so 'nakedeb.list' comes and is copied to 'sources.list'

about the search utility : it's based on locate and it opens the parent folder of the selected file. if you select /home, it will open / and with ranger cli file manager, the first directory listed is /bin wink

make another try by really searching a file like 'licence' and you'll see the result.
if you don't like nakedlocate, you can install catfish smile

the default apps entry is the regular debian apps selector. but if you want to modify the grub screen, you'll have to edit /etc/default/grub then update it, like all other debian custom system.

same thing with lxterm : the menu entries and the shortcuts are configured to open urxvt. even if you choose lxterm as default terminal emulator, you'll have to modify menu entries by hand.

thanks for pointing this out .. i'll see how i can replace "urxvt" with "x-terminal-emulator" in menu entries for next release wink

don't hesitate to make feedback on nakedeb forum if you want more precise answer or tips:)
thanks again for testing

have a good day
++
arp

Last edited by arpinux (2021-01-31 13:36:16)

#1185 2021-01-31 13:57:38

eight.bit.al

^
/etc/apt/nakedeb.list contained duplicates of the same repos in /etc/apt/sources.list.. Comment them out and good to go.

"Applications/Research"/down arrow key/select /home opens /bin.

Confirmed.

WIP. No harm, no foul. YMMV smile

8bit

Edit: And the nakeDeb wallpaper makes it all worth it. wink

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-01-31 14:09:03)

Don't run with scissors. Turn off lights when not in use. Don't sleep with your co-worker's wife. Remember to take the cans out on trash day. Check the oil and water in your car. Update your computer. Check your tire pressure. Turn off your computer and go outside. Take your pet to the vet for shots. Pee before you go on a long car ride.  Take your list to the grocery store. Drink more water. Please use CODE tags for code. :)

#1186 2021-01-31 15:04:48

arpinux
Website

hi smile
about the nakedlocate tool :
to solve the bug, open the script

sudo nano /usr/bin/nakedlocate

then edit it as follows

#!/bin/sh
# locate and open files
[ -d "$1" ] && DIR="$1" || DIR="/"
selection="$(locate -i "${DIR}" | rofi -threads 0 -dmenu -i -p "rechercher ")"
[ -d "$selection" ] && urxvtcd -e ranger $selection || urxvtcd -e ranger "$(dirname "${selection}")"

this way, if the selected entry is a directory, it will be opened. if the selected entry is a file, the parent folder will be opened.
wink
thx for report smile

#1187 2021-01-31 16:02:36

arpinux
Website

sources.list & nakedlocate fixed, thx bunsenlabs wink https://framagit.org/3hg/nakedeb/-/comm … 9790139580

#1188 2021-01-31 17:26:42

arpinux
Website

urxvtcd vs x-terminal-emulator fixed, thx bunsenlabs community smile https://framagit.org/3hg/nakedeb/-/comm … baad388fb0

#1189 2021-01-31 19:14:24

unklar

arpinux wrote:

if you want to apt show/install a package on nakedeb, you'll have to apt update first wink

^[cough] I always use to do it like this  big_smile

arpinux wrote:

about the search utility : it's based on locate and it opens the parent folder of the selected file. if you select /home, it will open / and with ranger cli file manager, the first directory listed is /bin  wink

This is for me a contradiction regarding the operability of the distri with the keyboard. Then also the conky-switch could land instead of the selection "conky-fluxbox" first in the /home...   wink

arpinux wrote:

have a good day

I wish you the same   smile

#1190 2021-02-03 09:21:59

unklar

^I had time to deal with nakeDeb again. monkey

@arpinux

this is my keyboard
IMG_20200625_102920.th.jpg Link

I'm missing the characters on it that everyone needs in the terminal

<
>
|

I execute the following commands

xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock"
xmodmap -e "keycode 66 = less greater bar"
and
xmodmap -e "keycode  21 = acute grave acute grave bar bar bar bar"

After that the desired behavior works.
I pack this .Xmodmap

! Caps_lock aus
remove lock = Caps_Lock
!
! <> auf Caps_Lock
keycode 66 = less greater
!
! | auf ´`
keycode 21 = acute grave acute grave bar bar bar bar

into my /home and enter the following into ~/.fluxbox/startup

# Change your keymap:
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

After logout/login or restart the desired behavior is gone.
By the way, the same is true if I remove the "sticky" from a conky configuration file to have the conky only on one desktop.

Question: What ingenious bug prevents me from working normally as a user with nakeDeb?  devil

#1191 2021-02-03 10:41:48

arpinux
Website

hi unklar smile
what you describe is the computer behavior in live session, not the one of an installed system hmm

so after a restart, your .Xmodmap file is gone ? your .fluxbox/startup script has been reset ? everything is lost ? .. if so ... are you really sure that you installed nakedeb ? tongue

#1192 2021-02-03 13:48:31

sleekmason
zoom
Website

arpinux wrote:

hi unklar smile
what you describe is the computer behavior in live session, not the one of an installed system hmm

so after a restart, your .Xmodmap file is gone ? your .fluxbox/startup script has been reset ? everything is lost ? .. if so ... are you really sure that you installed nakedeb ? tongue

Why would your live session be different from the installed?  just wondering.

I can understand adding packages to live that would be removed in the install, but not the other way around.

#1193 2021-02-03 18:51:24

unklar

arpinux wrote:

hi unklar smile

2021-02-03-162211_1024x768_scrot.th.png Link

Sorry, probably you are a fun guy with a fun distri that I have now uninstalled again   cool

Maybe french, your ready installed iso doesn't save user settings.   kiss

#1194 2021-02-03 19:23:43

arpinux
Website

^^ from what i see, your conky configuration keeps customization right ?
so i really don't know why your .Xmodmap config doesn't.

#1195 2021-02-03 20:20:40

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Maybe @unklar hit a bug? If so hopefully it can be found and fixed smile

Real Men Use Linux

#1196 2021-02-03 21:00:27

arpinux
Website

hi guys smile
@unklar : found the bug smile
xmodmap command needs some times

sleep 10s && xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap &

worked for me on nakeDeb wink

#1197 2021-02-04 11:22:50

unklar

arpinux wrote:

hi guys smile
@unklar : found the bug smile
xmodmap command needs some times

sleep 10s && xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap &

worked for me on nakeDeb wink

big_smile  I know about the "sleep".
Therefore I had already

sh -c 'sleep 10 && xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap'

'in it, which did not work.

But your variant works now and I can write the characters < > | with the keyboard.

Thanks a lot for that!  smile

Two more solutions/problems:
I had written

By the way, the same is true if I remove the "sticky" from a conky configuration file to have the conky only on one desktop.

own_window_hints = 'undecorated,below,skip_taskbar,skip_pager', --sticky,

this is caused by the fact that in the configuration file(conkyrc_fluxbox)

own_window_type = 'override',

is written. "Override" however means that the hints are ignored by the window manager and the commented out "sticky" has no influence.

own_window_type = 'normal',

causes the correct behavior and the conky is only effective on the desktop on which it is executed. So if 1 then it will not be shown on the remaining 2 to 5.
see man conky

own_window_hints undecorated,below,above,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
              If own_window is yes, you may use these window manager hints to affect the way Conky dis‐
              plays. Notes: Use own_window_type desktop as another way to implement many of these hints
              implicitly. If you use own_window_type override, window manager hints have no meaning and
              are ignored.

One last question, where can I make the font smaller in the terminals? hmm

#1198 2021-02-04 11:33:01

arpinux
Website

hi unklar smile

thx for feedbacks smile
yep, conky have various configuration depending on the function. ie the conkyrc_minibox is a "normal" window because it is used as a temporary system information. som other conky are set "override" to avoid shadows and so on... it's up to you to configure all of that to suit your needs wink

to get smaller fonts in your terminal, you have to edit your ~/.Xresources file and put, ie

URxvt.font: xft:Hack:regular:size=7,xft:Inconsolata Nerd Font Mono:size=10
URxvt.boldFont: xft:Hack:bold:size=7

#1199 2021-02-04 11:38:53

unklar

^Ah, yes
All right, thanks   wink

#1200 2021-02-10 19:23:06

eight.bit.al

Been watching the progress of DXT2 over ~6 months or so.

DXT2_0.th.png DXT2_1.th.png

Very light system to build on.

Debian Xfce4 tint2 jgmenu Theme: Aurora Nuevo Blue Icons: Tela WM: Material-Black-Frost

8bit

7b515a451df49bb9c8128f8186ef7d0b9661.th.jpg

edit:
I installed it. The installer is much improved over what he used to use. I don't know the name of the installer, but I've seen it before. edit; Refracta Installer
Extras icon on the desktop:

nice0.th.png

But still rough edges like the installer icon on the installed desktop. And the GTK apps don't honor the theme. tongue

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-02-10 23:41:44)

Board footer