You are not logged in.

#1051 2020-09-25 01:39:32

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

unklar wrote:

Runs stable, as usual from siduction with daily updates. Thanks to Norbert Preining it is the most current Debian.  wink

https://i.imgur.com/9t4kK61t.png https://i.imgur.com/uXWycRht.png https://i.imgur.com/WE8DHqBt.png

Now that  makes me want to try KDE/Plasma again smile

Real Men Use Linux

#1052 2020-09-25 11:33:03

unklar

DeepDayze wrote:
unklar wrote:

Runs stable, as usual from siduction with daily updates. Thanks to Norbert Preining it is the most current Debian.  wink

https://i.imgur.com/9t4kK61t.png https://i.imgur.com/uXWycRht.png https://i.imgur.com/WE8DHqBt.png

Now that  makes me want to try KDE/Plasma again smile

Here you go!   https://isobuilds.siduction.org/

1. after the installation, update the system
2. insert the repo from Norbert Preining and select unstable(!)
3. update the system again

Have fun!   devil

#1053 2020-09-25 12:03:52

eight.bit.al

Also one could try KaOS for the freshest Plasma.

KaOS is an independent distribution focused on Qt and KDE. KaOS follows the latest innovations, always shipping the most up to date there is available for the Plasma Desktop.

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#1054 2020-09-25 12:29:04

unklar

^That is correct.
I myself have used KaOS 2015/2016.

A small/fine KDE/Plasma Distripution with the latest plasma developments.
Compared to Debian there is only one limitation and that are the relatively few packages from 2 to 3500 packages (debian offers ~30.000 packages). For those who can cope with this limited number of packages, KaOS is an alternative.  smile

#1055 2020-09-25 14:46:36

eight.bit.al

^ Another drawback for KaOS is having mostly a single developer. Single point of failure. demm's a great guy, and the distro has been stable for years, to it's credit.

KaOS is a good choice for someone looking to check out KDE/Plasma. (where this thread was headed) The whole project is a class act. Website documentation is well done with very easy to read pages, easy to find what one is looking for.

The project's goal is KDE Plasma for the desktop and Qt for the Toolkit. In the case of web-browsers for example, the Qt options do not stack up to their GTK counterparts. For those instances, GTK applications are available. Inkscape, Ardour, and many other GTK packages are also available. There is the KCP, KaOS user maintained set of files to easily build extra packages. Kinda like the AUR for Arch.

Another good distro to taste KDE/Plasma is KDE Neon. Fresh Plasma on a Ubuntu base. The latest and greatest of KDE community software packaged on a rock-solid base.

Manjaro KDE/Plasma gets an honorable mention as well; for the ARCH lovers in the audience.

For those who are okay with a little more risk,  the Siduction/Norbert Preining repo Plasma setup you suggested is The Shitz.

Debian will always be my home distro.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-09-25 15:01:01)

#1056 2020-10-05 10:47:52

Martin
Website

List of Free GNU/Linux Distributions.

Anyone tried any of those?

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#1057 2020-10-05 15:15:43

eight.bit.al

^ Yes, the lack of non-free firmware was an issue for my AMD Radeon HD5450, which is a card automatically supported by a large percentage (90%?) of distros.

8bit

#1058 2020-10-06 06:17:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

^^ Most are outdated, some links are dead.
I truly hope there's more current distros fitting the requirements.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#1059 2020-10-06 06:22:59

Martin
Website

Yes, I noticed some, but not all, are very dated, like not up-dated since 2011.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#1060 2020-10-07 18:21:05

Bridouz
Website

Just came back from a few months with Alpine Linux.

Radical change with Debian but it's a really nice minimal distro.

Musl libc is lightweight and seems to be able to run nearly every linux softwares.

SystemD is out and OpenRC is in. I'm no technical but it's a bit harder to use...

The trip was really nice but with a new home, a full-time job, a new kitten and lots of books and records waiting to be loved, I don't have time to fiddle with my OS anymore (at least at a higher level).

So back to Debian and Bunsenlabs smile

#1061 2020-10-07 20:37:02

twoion
ほやほや

This is a bit OT but I for the first time installed Windows 10 yesterday, in a VM, to see what it is all about. A new PC is getting nearer and I 'm seriously considering going Windows 10 and WSL2 for my Linux needs, or Win10 + Linux VM. The reason is that I now like to play a few games on the side, and I'd like to have things as easy as possible.

So, Win10 (Education license, that's a mix of Pro & Enterprise) looks pretty amenable:

https://0x0.2ion.de/1jevwsx2x/1w5u38.png

Well, it has OK font rendering on par with Linux That's different from macOS where everything is a blurry mess.

It even has a dark theme! Kind of. Because, you know, theming is totally random. The start menu is dark, but when you type and search, you'll go blind, by accident:

https://0x0.2ion.de/1eqbcs3k/4u1d8r.png

Like, who thought that was a good idea? Billion dollar engineering right at work here, friends. Don't get me started on all the legacy parts in Windows that are in blinding-white because they are unchanged since WinNT4 (looking at you, compmgmt.msc snapin).

Something that now kind of works for me is font scaling on KDE. You know, you set it to show everything bigger and it looks bigger, consistently, if not you can adjust the font of menus vs title bars separately, for example. Neat!

Well, Windows had perfect font scaling in Windows 7 - set the font size to 125% and everything is scaled consistently. I love my Win7 VM. Now look-a here how Windows 10 performs in the most exotic and rarely used program that is absolutely not a part of the core desktop experience, Explorer. Windows offers global scaling (100, 125, 150% etc). Well 150% is for grandpa, I only want 125%. Just that 125% is utterly broken. Menu fonts do not scale:

https://0x0.2ion.de/p70jz12g/52n894.png

This is something a QA manager let pass. Oh wait, Microsoft let all their QA staff go. Now it's just interns cranking out half-assed releases.

Billion-dollar engineering.

I'm not mad, the Win10 license was free, but seriously: KDE looks better. Stuff made by folks in their freetime.

I'll still give Win10 a try on my future bare metal rig just to see how it does with proper OpenGL (my hardware has no GPU to pass through, and is one generation too old to support Intel GVT-g. Sad stuff), but I have a feeling I'll find myself formatting the new 1TB SSD, setting up LUKS + LVM, copying my existing Linux system over, and continue using it…GPU drivers like Nvidia and AMD work without problems nowadays after all, and I'll then be able to pass through a GPU to Windows for entertainment purposes.

Per aspera ad astra.

#1062 2020-10-07 21:06:17

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Any reason for not dual-booting? Convenience?

#1063 2020-10-07 22:02:15

dhalgren

twoion wrote:

Don't get me started on all the legacy parts in Windows that are in blinding-white because they are unchanged since WinNT4 (looking at you, compmgmt.msc snapin).

According to my son, who plays a lot of games, many of the legacy parts in Win10 are there for games, and some of them need to be turned on (somehow) in order to play legacy games; others need to be installed, e.g., in order to play Fable 3 one needs to install "games for windows live" which is a legacy program that enables the use of other legacy files which already are on Win10, which are needed in order to run the game.

Son says "Complaining about legacy files on Windows is like complaining about people on earth; they are everywhere." And (apparently) many of them are needed in order to make the current version of windows run. (There's that billion dollar engineering you mentioned.)

I remember when I upgraded Windows 98 to Millennium. It ran perfectly, but one of my mates did a fresh install of Millennium, and it had more problems than could be mentioned. Son, when changing from Windows 7 to Windows 10, upgraded also, and it ran well. The suspicion is that the legacy files needed to make it run perfectly remained after the upgrade. (I am NOT recommending this as a fix for your problems, because: it is Windows.)

I haven't use Windows consistently since 1999, but one thing I do know is that Windows 10 upgrades (which are almost impossible to turn off) frequently cause major problems with Windows 10. A search for "Windows 10 update issues" will be informative, and should be done regularly if you decide to use it.

I can still hear the echoes of my son's screams from the last time he updated and had to spend days getting it all to work properly again. (Basically, this happened with every update, and continued until he did some registry editing and forced the updating to stop. This is, apparently, a common fix for Windows updates. It also is the only way to turn off Cortana, which many people hate with a passion.)

#1064 2020-10-08 17:27:04

twoion
ほやほや

hhh wrote:

^ Any reason for not dual-booting? Convenience?

Yes time. In 2020 our 8-core 4.xGHz CPUs with hardware virtualization support should be able to transparently two OS in real-time please. It's possible; for example, Windows 10 uses this method to implement WSL2 -- it shifts both Win10 and Linux under a HyperV supervisor, which means if you run WSL2 (any distribution), you're actually running Win10 also as VM.

Xen and ESXi are comparable things that one could actually run on the desktop in order to achieve the same thing. For example, QubeOS uses Xen.

The big problem is always 3D graphics. Nowadays desktop Linux is also shifting away from 2D graphics (wayland; but also X11 is now usually using glamor X acceleration!) so you need OpenGL/Direct3D/Vulkan/whatever work in every domain to get a consistently good experience. So far the only really stable thing you can do is have as many high-perf GPUs as you have operating systems, and give full ownership of a GPU to 1 OS at a time. My dream setup would be a tower with like 3 high-spec GPUs but I'm too fiscally responsible.

@dhalgren Windows admin is a bane. I liked tweaking WinXP when I was 12 years old in 2002 but today I want things to "just work". It's amazing how much work it is to make the simplest things work. Between Apple, Microsoft, Fedora Linux is likely the easiest to just "use" smile not good.

Per aspera ad astra.

#1065 2020-10-08 22:19:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

My dream setup would be a tower with like 3 high-spec GPUs but I'm too fiscally responsible..

Lol, fantastic. So 3 GPUs, each running via their own virtual OS of any type (Windows, Linux, BSD, Android, even Apple?), all three simultaneously under Windows?  It would be a fun build, though I imagine tough to solve the heat/fan-noise issue. Put the tower in a vented, noise-dampened cabinet, I guess. Or submerged in liquid for a total monster.

I hope your whole post will be the most technical description I'll read all month, it's perfect.

If I ever have a hip-hop group, I'm naming it "glamor X acceleration!"

Last edited by hhh (2020-10-08 22:47:39)

#1066 2020-10-25 19:44:51

Colonel Panic

I've noticed a couple of people talking about Gentoo. The best way I've found to get Gentoo up and running is to use ExGent, a Swedish distro based on Gentoo and using the LXQT window manager;

http://www.exton.se/?p=2674

I'm currently in Slackware, having installed an August edition of Slackware Current from Eric Hameleers' mirror (he's better known as AlienBOB). I've had a couple of teething troubles with it - for example, Amarok kept freezing the display so I've had to switch to the more basic Gmplayer instead - but I think I'm finally there with it now and it's working the way it's meant to on the desktop.

At the moment I use Fluxbox for the window management duties, dmenu for menuing and Gkrellm for system monitoring; it all looks a bit "old school" but I'm OK with that and it's stable and light on resources.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2020-10-25 19:46:44)

#1067 Yesterday 02:07:10

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Colonel Panic wrote:

I've noticed a couple of people talking about Gentoo. The best way I've found to get Gentoo up and running is to use ExGent, a Swedish distro based on Gentoo and using the LXQT window manager;

Thanks for the tip.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#1068 Yesterday 12:49:57

manyroads
Website

@Dobbie Others have had good success with CloverOS and Calculate

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
dwm on Arch ~ Reg. Linux User #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

#1069 Yesterday 19:45:46

Colonel Panic

Dobbie03 wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome Dobbie. Sabayon is also based on Gentoo, but it doesn't seem to work well on my machine (as usual, your mileage may vary).

#1070 Today 05:32:59

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

I don't really like Sabayon.  I did try Clover OS many months ago.  Cool project.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#1071 Today 05:58:20

cog
Developer
Website

Sabayon is to Gentoo what Manjaro is to Arch, except it’s not any good like Manjaro is.

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

#1072 Today 06:01:54

cog
Developer
Website

Gentoo is actually really good right now.  You can do openrc these days or systemd.  The most current paper cut with gentoo is rust if you use Firefox and or other rust stuff.  You can also get away with not hacking to compile a kernel for your specific hardware either by using their newer kernel ebuilds if you don’t have that kind of investment.

#1073 Today 06:04:23

cog
Developer
Website

Speaking from building a nice gentoo system back in February with git based portage and what not.  The thing with Gentoo I always run into is my final result doesn’t do anything better than a debian or Arch based install other than I controlled everything.

#1074 Today 06:14:58

cog
Developer
Website

Sorry to keep posting..

I honestly think the best setup is Arch on the desktop and Ubuntu LTS on the server.  Debian would be the best if all the server software ex: Nextcloud targeted debian instead of Ubuntu.  PHP versions and what not.  (There’s a current notification on nextcloud that they won’t support debians version of PHP on the next release but instead Ubuntu’s,  they clearly have a platform they are targeting)

I personally just use Ubuntu LTS on everything because I work on limited bandwidth over my phone in a wierd ass America while living rurally in the mountains.  Arch is almost slower on updates though.  Ubuntu is always updating the kernels and Firefox for CVEs where Arch just pulls in new versions.  That’s with XFCE or a WM setup.

Last edited by cog (Today 06:26:17)

Board footer