You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-30 23:39:42

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Launch videos fullscreen on second monitor

I've attempted due diligence searching for this; either my search-fu is failing me again or the usual search engines are failing me; if anyone's already aware of a more comprehensive how-to for this, please let us know.  I got this working in LXDE on Debian Jessie; it should work just as well in BunsenLabs Hydrogen.

Scenario:  You have two monitors permanently attached to your PC in a dual-head setup.  You primarily use one monitor for work, and you want videos to open on the other monitor.  (In my case, I have a 1080p monitor that is just swell for general computer use, but a lower-resolution TV that has better color registration, so I want videos on the TV.)  You've already configured the xdg/freedesktop properties (I'm still a little hazy on what's happening behind the curtain there) so that all common video formats open with your preferred media player (I'll be using mpv in this example).

Step 0:  Configure your dual head setup and have the script launched from your autostart file (either ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart or ~/.config/openbox/autostart).  In my case the script is simply

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --output VGA-1 --mode 1360x768 --right-of HDMI-1

Peccadillo:  I prefer to have my work monitor to my right and my entertainment to my left, but Openbox (and most other WMs, as well as DEs that are not K) sees the monitors as a single desktop and places things like panels on the left-most monitor in the desktop.  This means I've gotten used to wrapping the mouse from the right side of the right monitor to the left side of the left monitor.  As adjustments go, this is minor; it's just a little nuisance.

Step 1:  Add code similar to the following to the applications section of your ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml or ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml:

<applications>
  <application class="mpv">
    <position>
      <x>center</x>
      <y>center</y>
      <monitor>2</monitor>
    </position>
    <focus>yes</focus>
    <fullscreen>yes</fullscreen>
  </application>

(Your default rc.xml should include a commented example explaining all options; this example simply launches any instance of mpv full-screen on monitor 2 and gives it focus.  IMHO the x & y positions are irrelevant, but the monitor part will be ignored if those aren't also present.)

Reconfigure Openbox or log out/in.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

Board footer