You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-25 20:03:07

wrought

[SOLVED] upgrade to linux 4.4 kernel via jessie-backports & BunsenLabs

Howdy all,

I've been recommended by a friend to try my system out on newer kernels, trying to take advantage of new features.

We discussed that one of the easier routes to try out, say, kernel 4.4 (or whatever's latest), is to install linux-image via the jessie-backports debian repository.

However, with BunsenLabs, I already have an entry named "jessie-backports" in my sources lists

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen-jessie-backports.list

which contains the following link

deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian jessie-backports main

So, what is the appropriate way to add an additional source that connects me to the upstream debian jessie-backports repository so I can download version 4.4 of the linux kernel?

For instance, currently, the following aptitude search produces these unhelpful results:

$ aptitude -t jessie-backports search linux-image
p   linux-image-3.16.0-4-586:i386                                                - Linux 3.16 for older PCs                                                               
p   linux-image-3.16.0-4-686-pae:i386                                            - Linux 3.16 for modern PCs                                                              
p   linux-image-3.16.0-4-686-pae-dbg:i386                                        - Debugging symbols for Linux 3.16.0-4-686-pae                                           
i A linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64                                                   - Linux 3.16 for 64-bit PCs                                                              
p   linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64:i386                                              - Linux 3.16 for 64-bit PCs                                                              
p   linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64-dbg                                               - Debugging symbols for Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64                                             
p   linux-image-486:i386                                                         - Linux for older PCs (dummy package)                                                    
p   linux-image-586:i386                                                         - Linux for older PCs (meta-package)                                                     
p   linux-image-686-pae:i386                                                     - Linux for modern PCs (meta-package)                                                    
p   linux-image-686-pae-dbg:i386                                                 - Debugging symbols for Linux 686-pae configuration (meta-package)                       
i   linux-image-amd64                                                            - Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)                                                    
p   linux-image-amd64:i386                                                       - Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)                                                    
p   linux-image-amd64-dbg                                                        - Debugging symbols for Linux amd64 configuration (meta-package) 

Last edited by wrought (2016-01-25 20:48:44)

#2 2016-01-25 20:07:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] upgrade to linux 4.4 kernel via jessie-backports & BunsenLabs

The backports repository you have is the BunsenLabs version rather than the official Debian jessie-backports repository.

To install the latest kernel image from jessie-backports:

sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list <<< "deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main"
sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-image-amd64/jessie-backports

Then reboot, the new kernel should be the first (and default) entry in the GRUB menu; the old kernel can still be selected from GRUB just in case things don't work as well as you hope.

EDIT: You won't get version 4.4 though, that's only available in Arch [testing] at the moment.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-01-25 20:21:11)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-01-25 20:51:18

wrought

Aha, k, worked like a charm, thanks!

So, will packages listed in the BunsenLabs jessie-backports repository be selected in priority over packages listed in the regular debian jessie-backports repository? Trying to understand why things are named / specified in this way, as it has already caused me some confusion.

#4 2016-01-25 20:54:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

wrought wrote:

will packages listed in the BunsenLabs jessie-backports repository be selected in priority over packages listed in the regular debian jessie-backports repository?

The BunsenLabs jessie-backports repository only contains software that is not available in the official jessie-backports repository.

#5 2016-01-26 01:46:26

paxmark1

Not just Arch  towo has had a 4.4 experimental kernel out for testing in sid.  - siduction.  No, I am not using.  4.3 is good enough for me.

#6 2016-01-26 09:52:34

Kuno
BL DieHard

Meanwhile also the liquorix 4.4 kernel is out.
Works well for me (like the siduction 4.4_RC8) on my office machine - while it does not work on my home machine with nearly identical hardware, where it just cuts off the monitor at some stage of the boot process... Keyboard LEDs are functional, so it does not seem to be a kernel panic. Might be some configuration problem on my system (debian testing/sid). So far i've not found a solution yet, which is a pity, since 4.4. is meant to have new kernel drivers for my realtek wireless dongle...

#7 2016-01-26 19:36:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Kuno wrote:

Meanwhile also the liquorix 4.4 kernel is out

Unfortunately, the Liquorix kernel headers are built against version 5 of GCC and BunsenLabs uses version 4 so any required kernel modules (such as Broadcom drivers) could not be built if that kernel version is used.

I think MX-15 have backported the Liquorix headers to jessie and could be used in BunsenLabs if a BFQ scheduler is required.

See http://www.mepiscommunity.org/wiki/system/repos-mx-15

#8 2016-01-27 11:32:29

Kuno
BL DieHard

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Unfortunately, the Liquorix kernel headers are built against version 5 of GCC and BunsenLabs uses version 4 so any required kernel modules (such as Broadcom drivers) could not be built if that kernel version is used.

Sorry, completely forgot, that i'm on the bleeding edge with testing/sid... roll

Board footer