You are not logged in.

#26 2016-01-03 08:19:36

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: Using Pepperflashplugin in Iceweasel

Thanks Hoas ... working fine. Sites formerly giving the install/update flash are working now.

Like others ran into a few headaches took all of 1min to sort out. Installed from backport as instructed, nope no joy, "dpkg -l |grep flash" showed me v 20. was indeed installed. Next purged flashplugin-nonfree, tried again .. dang it still nope. Next resorted to installing chromium. Worked in Chromium, tried FF, yep also working fine. So went ahead at that point and just removed Chromium. Don't want to have to deal with the time taken in it updating for a browser I don't plan to use.

End result, worked ... smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2016-01-03 08:20:02)

#27 2016-01-03 10:23:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

Does this mean an upgrade of bl-welcome to install that instead of flashplugin-nonfree is needed?

Yes, I think it would be preferable as long as the user is comfortable with packages from jessie-backports.

Given the nature of FlashPlayer, the usual arguments against using backported packages don't seem to apply here.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#28 2016-01-04 03:43:59

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Thanks.
Do you have any idea what might be requiring people like BLwillbegreat! to install chromium to get it to work?

Depending on how fast other work goes, that new bl-welcome item might not make it into the RC2 iso but need an upgrade later. I'll try and make sure it's done (as long as there are no issues as above) by the Main Release though.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#29 2016-01-04 05:32:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I see that browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash includes pepperflashplugin-nonfree as a recommends; maybe this has something to do with why BLbabble (said with affection!) needed to install chromium?  (I use chromium when visiting forums because iceweasel still has that niggling text entry field rendering issue on my hardware, so I can't confirm without trying on a fresh install.)

I can confirm that browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash performs better in Iceweasel (less tearing) on my hardware than pepperflashplugin-nonfree does in chromium, so I'd say that pepperflash + iceweasel = win.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#30 2016-01-04 10:09:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

Do you have any idea what might be requiring people like BLwillbegreat! to install chromium to get it to work?

Not at all, sorry.

The only Debian jessie machine I have (limited) access to at the moment runs Chromium with pepperflash rather than Iceweasel so I haven't actually tried it myself, I just noticed that the package had become available.

I will try installing the package the next time I have access to the machine and post back with the results.

#31 2016-01-04 12:42:50

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

^Just a thought:  Could it be the CPU?  I have Iceweasel with pepperflash - works gtret.

CPU:       Triple core AMD Athlon II X3 450 (-MCP-) cache: 1536 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 19287
           Clock Speeds: 1: 3214 MHz 2: 3214 MHz 3: 3214 MHz

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#32 2016-01-05 03:30:59

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I'll try and do some testing too.
Depending on the timeline, this looks like another post-RC2 fix...

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#33 2016-01-05 05:54:21

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^Probably a Pebcak issue JohnR. Was in a hurry and didn't pay overmuch attention to what occurred during the process. Could've easily overlooked something relevant. No worries ... It's nice to be able to use FF on sites that would otherwise complain about outdated flash version.

Still really tempted to install Chrome and compare, cpu usage seems a bit harsh on this laptop. Wondering if it might act better with native Chrome. Very few web resources I need a flashplayer for anyway and always have noscript running on anything Mozilla. So if there's any significant difference then keeping Chrome around for occasional use would not be a big deal.

#34 2016-01-05 07:29:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Firefox is on the way out anyway sad

It's noticeably slower that Chromium (if you have the RAM) ant still doesn't offer hardware acceleration, no matter what the little tickbox says roll

[/off-topic]

#35 2016-01-21 13:40:41

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Off topic 2 off topic. smile

Man I hope not, personally am going to keep using FF. Am way more familiar and much prefer it's UI to what's offered by Chrome. This thread had me reinstalling Chrome/ium and hadn't dorked with them for awhile. Yep gotta admit, it's faster, though I've gotten lazy and haven't applied maximum tweakage to FF as I normally would, plus there are many oldish/newish about:config tweaks that are on my list of things to mess with. That I've simply never gotten around to trying out. Think Mozilla is too conservative in how they ship their browser ootb and do believe it's a mistake. Whereas Google Inc is very aggressive in default config's. Noticed it's also a RAM sucking pigdog from hades. The amount of system resources it uses makes my teeth itch. smile

ie: The old subject of prefetch, if the browser prefetches EVERYTHING in the background, would certainly be one way to make it appear instantaneous. Though also imo would be a massive waste of system resources, bandwidth etc.

When comes to the Fox, haven't yet seen a browser that's as infinitely or as easily config'ed. Am betting I can get it back to where it used to be for me with some about:config dorking. Is slower atm but massively lighter too. Plus I tend to disable things that come default ie: prefetch, cache to disk, this ... that ... many. It'd take a couple-few free days to do an updated FF tweakage guide. If get around may perhaps sound off and share but betting can get FF back to running neck/neck with or beating Chrome/ium.

There's also much that can happen on the "backend". Google has world class DC's=data centers, maintains a CDN for stuff like common javascript libs like jquery and has much interwebz clout they'd be retarded not to leverage. Judging from Goog Inc's earnings, feel it's safe to assume they aren't retarded. Maybe morally but money and morals from past life experience have a way of dramatically diverging. Simply said I outright don't trust Google Inc's intentions. Not that I have any real reason to trust Mozilla Inc's either just saying Goog's got a demonstrated track record that could warrant concern. In terms of privacy, have said many times, I personally consider the internet to be like a public road, when you're on it, might not be reasonable to expect privacy.

Though yes ... of course there's plenty someone can do online to attain anonymity etc blahblah. Just long babbling way of saying hope Mozilla stays solvent or if they fail something better emerges to fill the void. Think competition benefits all us endusers.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2016-01-21 13:46:52)

#36 2016-01-21 15:42:37

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

It'd take a couple-few free days to do an updated FF tweakage guide.

And I for one would love to see this happen.  I've never used Chrome/ium pretty well for the reasons you state:

Goog's got a demonstrated track record that could warrant concern

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#37 2016-01-22 06:27:00

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Sector, am planning on getting around to it eventually. Plus there's much other tweakage alluded to in the Arch wiki ( plus many others) and other stuff to consider. In the past have mentioned the possibility of maintaining a local Dns for example. Not only does this obviously eliminate the need for normal domain resolution requests. It also does help ensure enduser privacy, as you aren't broadcasting what sites you're visiting to the internet. Other than periodic syncing, which doesnt necessarily tell anyone which websites you're going to ... blahblahblah. (Anal edit dammit: though many other means of tracking x-nixers movements online other than what domain resolution requests they make).

Things like the extension "local load" for FF or Mozilla based, which is supposed to be an updated cache of javascript and pop js libs. Don't really know much about that extension or how it technically works though seems clear to me the idea is sound.

Think Mozilla is doing a pretty dang friggin good job compared to what they have to work with vs their major competitors. M$, last I checked 90bil/yr, Google Inc, 10's of billions vs a non-profit with a tiny fraction of the financial resources. Guessing Goog Inc's coffee budget makes Mozilla's entire annual operating budget look like a joke. Though to tell the truth think Goog or any other major Corp wouldn't offer employees free coffee unless there's a rock solid ROI=return on investment involved. Plus yeppers, a couple Google searches ( oh the irony), seems to bare out one of biz's many theories. ie: "google chrome prefetch" one person reported when a person types out a URL in the address bar it prefetches the sucker. Personally wonder if that also includes search suggestions too ? Again ... am very certain Goog Inc is very aggressive in the usage of prefetch. Though they have to keep it within reason obviously. Not sure of the exact technical details but prefetching without reasonable limits would hinder performance and/or piss their enduser base off. Particularly if you're paying much $$$ for bandwidth.

Tell the true it (prefetch) makes perfect sense but kinda pisses me off. ie: buffer bloat etc etc. It's a lot of data coming down ( potentially clogging up) the pipes for web content the enduser will never see and a buncha wasted RAM holding onto that content just in case they did, for the sake of apparent speed. Anyway sorry Hoas, not attempting to hijack just feel this is relevant to the thread topic fellow nixer. In for a penny, in for a pound ... blahblah, yadayada etc humbug. big_smile

VLFF!

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2016-01-22 12:58:46)

Board footer